• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Willie01

Willie01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

Hey guys who can tell me about Maya Air. Prices times etc... Arriving in Cancun around noon 12/2/15 and really don't want to do the bag drag ferry thing.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:08 PM

They have a website with pricing and schedules. www.mayair.com.mx 6 flights a day out of CUN into CZM.  You can book online but if you use a foreign credit card, they charge $63 US.  If you paid in person in cash pesos on the other hand, you'd pay 630 MXN.  So you're really getting the rip job if you use a US etc. credit card to pay because 630 MXN is currently the equal of approximately $38 USD's.

In off season times I don't expect you'd have a problem just showing up nice and early and getting on a flight without the reservation via credit card. I wouldn't try it at any busy times of year including: Ironman week plus before and after, Carnival, Easter Week or any other time between around Dec 15 and April 1.

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:37 AM

You can also show up in person at either the airport or their office down by the Ched and pay on a US credit card and pay the 600 some pesos.  Doesnt have to be cash, just in person apparently.  You can also email my guy at Maya, Leonel Basto ventas@lomas-travel.com   You will not get the 600 peso rate, but you probably can talk him down from the 63US rate.  You just have to negotiate.   I often wondered if you could call directly to that office in Coz and get them to run it in pesos and get the cheaper rate?

I have someone pop over with a copy of my id and buy my ticket for me, to save the hassle.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:52 AM

The Local rate -- with a Plan Local I assume but certainly with a Residente Permanente card like we have now -- is only $420 MXN!  They get you on baggage charges I've been told.  Also remember it's an old turbo prop.  Last time my husband took one of their flights it took them more than half an hour on the runway to get the plane started.

#5 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

I've never taken Maya Air - the severe limits on baggage always stopped me. When coming or going from Coz, I'm always carrying at least one large (50 lb.) bag with Scuba gear and other stuff, and one large carry-on. That's too much baggage for Maya Air. It limits checked bags to 44 lbs., charges $3 PLUS TAX for each additional pound, and limits carry-ons to one piece, max 11 lbs. It may not be a feasible option unless you really pack light.

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 15 October 2015 - 04:31 PM

With a plan local the last ticket I found laying around from August was $429.59 MX with $68.72MX tax for a total of $498.22MX.  

The weight limits are 44 pounds per person, BUT they do let you aggregate.  Like my group puts all their bags on at one time and the total can't exceed 44# X total people on the reservation.  So the wife and I could have 88#s.  On the other hand, you are going to check the bigger carry ons as there is no underseat or above storage.  But in fairness we are usually travelling light back.  Last trip we had a 40 couple pound duffle plus a checked carry on or two on the way down.  No problems.  

As for old turboprop, the Dornier 228 could be as old as 30 years I guess but as new as 17 years old.  The Dornier 228 model was popular enough to start production of a modernized version about 4-5 years ago. 

American Airlines is flying 15 year old Airbus planes still.  Delta has some 25 ish year old MD-88s in service.  I could go on.  My point being I wouldn't' describe them as old turbo props.  Turboprops are still quite popular too.  If I was rich and had a pilot's license, I might have to get me a King Air....

They have not (knock, knock) let me sit yet.  I recall being about 5-10 minutes late once.  In those same years, SW cancelled one flight and I went through 3 broken Delta planes in a connection in Detroit.  I use Mayair a bit.  I bought probably 20 tickets this year?  Probably more like 35 or 40 last year with a big family trip.

And when it rained, Mayair handed out umbrellas on the tarmac at Cozumel. That is classy.  I have to say I am a fan, but if you are flying heavy, it might be an issue.  Just bring a friend that travels light!   :lol:

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:51 PM

I've flown Maya Air a couple of times and the cost was $500 pesos. None of the flights were full and they didn't even weigh the baggage which makes me think they only worry about baggage weight if the flight is going to be close to full. The planes are fine but when you sit at a window seat right next to the prop you wonder which way it will go if it comes lose and flies off.

I like smaller planes but the ride is not very long. It was less than 20 minutes. Before you board  the plane they spend more time doing pre-flight checks than any airline I've ever seen. It sure beats a 2 hour ride to the airport via ferry and bus.

#8 Hooked on Coz

Hooked on Coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Sky Diving, Riding my Fatboy

Posted 16 October 2015 - 12:07 AM

Hola,

I have flown with them a number of times to go and meet friends and family in Cancun and do the bag drag with them .Just a little easier with the kids and all. It always cost me 500 pesos but I pay cash and have only a small BP. Great way to do it for me. :P

#9 Willie01

Willie01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:30 AM

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I am going to try it and for sure pay in pesos!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users