First Time To Cozumel Celebrating Anniversary

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MAN1986

MAN1986

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Looking forward to our next adventure and exploring Cozumel!

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:47 PM

Hello:

We are heading to Cozumel for the first time April 2016 to celebrate our 30th. We live in AZ and go to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) often. We are expecting a lot of similarities, except of course it is an island. We are looking forward to a new adventure, especially snorkeling. I know from past experience that discussion boards such as this have a wealth of information and will be asking many questions, so thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. We are planning on staying at Secrets Aura because we like a sandy beach. Other than that we have made no specific plans to do anything but relax and enjoy the island.

I do have one question about transportation from the airport to the resort. Recommendations taxi versus shuttle? 

Thank you.

#2 La Bella

La Bella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Travel, reading, jewlery making, swimming

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

Hello:

We are heading to Cozumel for the first time April 2016 to celebrate our 30th. We live in AZ and go to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) often. We are expecting a lot of similarities, except of course it is an island. We are looking forward to a new adventure, especially snorkeling. I know from past experience that discussion boards such as this have a wealth of information and will be asking many questions, so thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide. We are planning on staying at Secrets Aura because we like a sandy beach. Other than that we have made no specific plans to do anything but relax and enjoy the island.

I do have one question about transportation from the airport to the resort. Recommendations taxi versus shuttle? 

Thank you.

After you get your luggage go passed the glass doors and make a right then go the the counter (Airport Shuttle) buy a ticket and they will take u.

Taxis cannot go into the airport to pick up passengers....only t drop them off.

La Bella

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:56 PM

That's correct.  No taxis are allowed to pick up at the airport but they can bring you back.  I would also add that as soon as you come through the glass doors with your suitcases you will be accosted by a friendly Mexican offering to help you with your transportation needs and other information about the island.  These are time share salespeople.  So just say No thank you, firmly and hang a right.  About 20 feet away, last booth on the left with back to the outside windows is where you go to pay for your shuttle.  Prices are listed on the window.  

Once you get your tickets, go outside with your bags.  There will be men waiting there by 4-6 big white vans.  They will ask you where you are going, take your ticket and direct you to the van you'll be riding in to your resort.

Don't forget to tip --especially if they're handling bags for you.  Wages are exceedingly low here and tips make all the difference in keeping the kids fed properly for workers like these..

#4 MAN1986

MAN1986

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:50 AM

Thanks so much for the information. Does anyone know if it is better to reserve a shuttle or just get one at the airport, i.e. cost?

Thank you.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:20 AM

No need to reserve.  They always have room for everybody.  Although depending on where you're going and the season, they can get pretty packed.  You won't be left behind, however.  The system is very efficient and the drivers and coordinators are all nice guys.

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:40 AM

Is it even possible to reserve a van? I know you can pay someone else ahead of time, for which you pay significantly extra and all they do is buy you a ticket, but that's not the same as reserving.

In any event, I agree that it's utterly unnecessary even if it were possible.

#7 MAN1986

MAN1986

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:03 AM

It "appears" you can reserve a shuttle, but yes it is expensive. I was quoted round trip $95 for shared, $125 for private. Any idea how much it normally cost from the airport to Secrets Aura? Also, how would we get back to the airport?

As we have never been to Cozumel I really appreciate your assistance  :D

#8 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

Option 2: Depending on your luggage....walk out of the terminal, through the doors and outside. Take the sidewalk to your right out to the road (aprox 300') and within a minute a taxi will stop and ask if you need a ride. Return trip? There is always a taxi around. If you want assurance just ask one the day before and he will be there with a smile at the appointed time to take you back to the airport. We do this EVERY time and it has never failed us. Plus you can always get him to stop for cold drinks!

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#9 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:33 AM

We pay for the private shuttle to take us into town to pick up our rental car.  No need to reserve - just pay the extra and they load you up and take you away.

I think last year it cost about 22 dollars.  Well, we paid in pesos, but I think that would be about equivalent to what it was.  More expensive than shared, but not a break the bank kind of thing and we just want to get where we are going so it is worth it to us for the once a year we go to Cozumel.

#10 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

You'll pay double or more booking in advance and it may be confused. Buying after arrival is simple. The shared shuttle vans should be about $8-$10 per person max, depending on currency and exchange rate used. You take a taxi back to the airport.

Please don't even thing about taking the "private shuttle" (are you that afraid of the people at your resort that you must ride alone?) and please, please don't even think about walking off airport grounds to take a taxi. Besides looking like an idiot, you might get a taxi driver in trouble for breaking the rules. Thank you

#11 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:30 PM

My way has always worked fine. (it use to be reccommended) Just make sure Charles dosen't see you and you'll be fine.

It's those changes in latitudes!

#12 MAN1986

MAN1986

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:56 PM

You'll pay double or more booking in advance and it may be confused. Buying after arrival is simple. The shared shuttle vans should be about $8-$10 per person max, depending on currency and exchange rate used. You take a taxi back to the airport.

Please don't even thing about taking the "private shuttle" (are you that afraid of the people at your resort that you must ride alone?) and please, please don't even think about walking off airport grounds to take a taxi. Besides looking like an idiot, you might get a taxi driver in trouble for breaking the rules. Thank you

I am not at all afraid of the people at the resort  . . . I just did not know what was available and now I do. We will take a shuttle from the airport to the resort, and take a taxi back. Thanks for all your help.

#13 MAN1986

MAN1986

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:58 PM

Option 2: Depending on your luggage....walk out of the terminal, through the doors and outside. Take the sidewalk to your right out to the road (aprox 300') and within a minute a taxi will stop and ask if you need a ride. Return trip? There is always a taxi around. If you want assurance just ask one the day before and he will be there with a smile at the appointed time to take you back to the airport. We do this EVERY time and it has never failed us. Plus you can always get him to stop for cold drinks!

Dono

Thank you for letting me know. I appreciate it.

#14 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:44 AM

This is our routine; I go purchase the shuttle tickets, Don goes out to Air Margaritaville and purchases the cold beverages; this makes for a happy shuttle ride. If the wait for the shuttle to leave is a little longer; no hurries, no worries, Don just makes another visit to Air Margaritaville; plus, we always meet nice people on the shuttle to visit with. 

A little time sitting in the shuttle knowing I will be spending the week on Cozumel is better than any day at school with 7th/8th graders or standing in the checkout line at Walmart! 

Cindy

#15 MAN1986

MAN1986

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:42 AM

This is our routine; I go purchase the shuttle tickets, Don goes out to Air Margaritaville and purchases the cold beverages; this makes for a happy shuttle ride. If the wait for the shuttle to leave is a little longer; no hurries, no worries, Don just makes another visit to Air Margaritaville; plus, we always meet nice people on the shuttle to visit with. 

A little time sitting in the shuttle knowing I will be spending the week on Cozumel is better than any day at school with 7th/8th graders or standing in the checkout line at Walmart! 

Well now, that is a little gem of advice ;)  That is why I came here to ask the experts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users