Photo

What Is The #1 Thing We Must See/do In Cozumel?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MAN1986

MAN1986

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Looking forward to our next adventure and exploring Cozumel!

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:30 PM

Will be going in April for the 1st time, celebrating our 30th ;) ! Asking the experts their opinions on what we must see and/or do.

We love to snorkel, we do not dive (not yet anyway). Open to trying something new.

Thanks!

#2 2cozlovers

2cozlovers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Diving, living the good life!

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:58 PM

Cozumel is one of the top dive destinations, if you enjoy snorkeling you would love diving. We started off snorkeling and about 10 years ago when we left from that particular vacation, I knew the next time we returned We would be under the water and not on top watching the divers below. We now return three or four times a year to dive and just hang out. We stay near the square/downtown. This location makes it easy to enjoy the locale restaurants. It is always fun to go on the east side and do a little bar hopping.

#3 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:14 AM

My list of things we like to do and have done: 

• At least two days we take off in our raggedy ole' rented jeep and beach hop around the island; snorkeling at the good spots.
  • Spend a day at Chankanaab
  • Take the Pirate Ship Dinner Cruise
  • Hang out on the square listening to live music at Woody's and Wet Wendy's
  • Go to Punta Sur for sight seeing (I have climbed to the top of the lighthouse twice) and snorkeling
  • Spend extra time at Playa Palencar: we occasionally take the boat out to snorkel the reefs
  • Always have to get some brick oven pizza at Mosaicoz on the square
  • And, just hang out/shore snorkel on our little beach at Playa Azul

Cindy

#4 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

• "At least two days we take off in our raggedy ole' rented jeep and beach hop around the island; snorkeling at the good spots."

Thats always our plan. To include ceviche at Playa Bonita, beers and friends at Coconuts and fish tacos at Paradise Bar. We rarely miss one of the three on a trip to the east side (which is usually daily). Sunday evenings in the square, walking along the malecon at night or just sitting on our balcony (wherever it may be) with a bottle of wine. The water is mezmorizing!

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#5 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:10 PM

• "At least two days we take off in our raggedy ole' rented jeep and beach hop around the island; snorkeling at the good spots."

Thats always our plan. To include ceviche at Playa Bonita, beers and friends at Coconuts and fish tacos at Paradise Bar. We rarely miss one of the three on a trip to the east side (which is usually daily). Sunday evenings in the square, walking along the malecon at night or just sitting on our balcony (wherever it may be) with a bottle of wine. The water is mezmorizing!

Dono

Oh, food and drinks are always a gimme on the beach hops!

Cindy

#6 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:03 PM

Since I always stay with family who live further from the beach than I would like and the sunsets can't really be enjoyed there, we often walk down to Tio Jose's, just south of the car ferry for a couple of cold cervezas and to enjoy the uninterrupted view of the sunsets.  Doesn't happen every night, but several times per visit.

#7 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:41 AM

If you'd like to try something a little different contact De Lille sports for a SUP (stand up paddleboard excursion).  They offer trips up north...beautiful lagoons, great bird watching.  A piece of Cozumel that you don't often see.

#8 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

I think that if you asked 100 people about their single favorite thing to do on Cozumel, you might very well get 95 that answered "Scuba Diving". For me, Diving is certainly the top attraction on Cozumel, followed by dining at any of a few dozen Cozumel Restaurants. But there are other attractions. For me, in no particular order, there is (1) Chankanaab National Park, a great place to just chill on the beach, snorkel, wander through the botanical gardens, take the archeological tour, have some ceviche and a beer in the Palapa Restaurant, maybe watch the Dolphin show (though, as far as I am concerned, Dolphins ought to be free, not caged up for human entertainment); (2) Punta Sur Park, take the boat ride through the Mangrove Swamps looking for crocodiles, climb the Lighthouse, and go snorkeling out on the Punta Sur Reef; (3) visit the Museum - ideally, have a great breakfact at the Museum Restaurant (for me, Chilaquiles with Salsa Verde, topped by a fried egg), then tour the Museum; (4) as other posters have recommended, "take a ride on the wild side", rent a jeep and tour the East Side of the Island, stopping at the Rasta Bar, Coconuts, Chen Rio, Mezcalito's; (5) go to The Money Bar, snorkel a bit, then relax with some snacks and a drink.

BTW, I think that Chankanaab Park may offer a "Discover Scuba" program, if you just want to get a taste of diving. There will be a short class on the skills needed and the dos and don't of scuba (these are IMPORTANT - Scuba diving is very safe if you follow the rules, very dangerous if you don't), then a short shallow dive in the protected bay.

For a first timer, here are some "hidden gems" in the Cozumel restaurant scene - little locally-owned places that most tourists never make it to: (1) El Moro, a great place for excellent and very reasonably priced Yucatan food, great drinks, and (especially on the weekends) a party atmosphere. It's way back in the hoods - get a taxi to take you. (2) Pescaderia San Carlos - a neat little fish market/restaurant that serves excellent freshly caught seafood - not open for dinner, go for lunch. On Saturday (only) it serves a seafood soup that is delicious. (3) Cha Cha's Kitchen - a local "loncheria" that is famous for its cakes.

#9 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:17 PM

Good picks Dan.  Pescaderia San Carlos is quite a treat. Picking out your fish fresh from an ice chest to watching them fry it up whole is an experience in itself. Then the garden area seating is sooooooo Cozumel. El Moro is always on our "must do" list as the food is excellent and Ray is such a treat himself. Some consider Casa Denis touristy but I think its one of the best resturants on Cozumel. Food, staff and location are all great! There is so much good eating in Coz.

It's those changes in latitudes!

#10 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:39 AM

Sadly, I must report that, as reported just this morning on Facebook, Cha Cha's Kitchen is now CLOSED. It wasn't closed for lack of success, but because there was so much success on the Cake and Dessert side of the business - the owner just opened Patio Cakes and Desserts. Apparently there are plans to open something new in the future on the food side, but for now at least, Cha Cha's Kithchen is not an option for lunch. Gotta look for another go-to loncheria.

#11 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

Just another quick tip - if you happen to be a Chocoholic, you really ought to visit Chocolateria Isla Bella, on Calle 3 ((I think), about a block back from Melgar. Great Chocolates. If you are even more into Chocolate, take a tour of the Kaokao Chocolate factory. Check out the Facebook page for Chocolates Kaokao. The tour is an interesting look at the process of making chocolate, from the Pod to the finished chocolate. And you can pick up some traditional Mayan Chocolate Disks, used to make authentic Mexican hot chocolate.

#12 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 07 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

I'm pretty sure Kristina is expanding the restaurant and that while that's happening the cakes will remain available. I fully expect the food to return in the future.

If not, someone has a lotta 'splainin to do and I will be sad.

#13 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

Chocolateria Isabella has moved. It is now located on Av. 5 between 2 and 4, in the same block as Kinta, Zermatt, Rentadora Isis, Burrito Gordito.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users