• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:07 PM

What time zone is Cozumel currently in?  I'm on Eastern Standard Time now, and my airline is indicating that Cozumel is on the same time as us when we arrive on November 21st.

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

Cozumel is always in Zona Sureste time zone (unless they settled on some other name - that seems never to have been nailed down very clearly). Since it's not part of the US, it's never in any US time zone.

Zona Sureste time is UTC (also called GMT) minus 5 hours. Eastern Standard Time is UTC -5. So is Central Daylight Time, Bogota Time, Jamaica Time, Easter Island Time and a number of other time zones. Zona Sureste maintains the 5-hour offset from UTC year-round and never matches Eastern Daylight Time.

Under various circumstances, times in different time zones can match some parts of the year but not others. This is why I think it's risky even to think about part of Mexico as being in any US time zone.

If you're wondering if you'll have to change your watch when you're here on that trip, you won't. You might have to at a different time of year.

#3 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:14 PM

Thanks.  My flight times seem to suggest that they are in the same time zone, but I know in the past, the same flight has landed sometimes two hours earlier or one hour earlier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users