Making Cfe Payments When In The U.s.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lheblen

lheblen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Diving, home remodeling, fishing, drinking, relaxing.

Posted 12 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

Does anyone here have any experience paying a CFE bill online? I paid mine for the first time in July with my credit card, online through the CFE website, no problem.  The last two times though (September and now November) the website tells me it can't process the payment and to contact my bank.  But when I call the credit card company they say they have no record of the transaction even trying to come through.  Any body have any ideas at all about why this might be happening, or especially about how to fix it?

In a related question, could we set up a bank account on the island and use that to pay the bill?  If so how might that work, and can anyone recommend a bank?

Thanks so much for any info y'all can provide!

#2 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

I tried to pay my CFE bill once with my Chase credit card from the US. I was told a US card was not acceptable.

You CAN set up a Mexican bank account, but there is another option that I now use, even though I live on Cozumel. It is called Xoom.com. Set up an account (free) on the website with your bank information. You can then pay CFE and Telmex each month once the bills are available online (you need the barcode number). The charge is $2.99 per bill. The final option is to simply pay ahead. If your CFE bill is $200 MX, you can pay $1000 (or any amount) so that the money is already there when you next bill is cut.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:44 PM

Do you live on the island?  If so, just feed pesos into one of the machines in the office below the Mega when you're on a shopping trip.  That's the safest way.  I've always paid in person because I don't trust the banks or using a credit card.  And Xoom stops working over a certain amount of cash withdrawals and then requires a lot of intrusive information to be provided by their Mexican partner -- which I was NOT going to give them.

If you don't live on the island, you surely have a property manager of some sort who could do this for you?  It's quite easy and avoids all the headaches you're describing.

#4 lheblen

lheblen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Diving, home remodeling, fishing, drinking, relaxing.

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

Thanks everyone, we were able to set up a xoom account and pay our bill! Wow! We spent hours and hours trying to pay a tiny electric bill online. That was easy as pie. Living in the U.S. and trying to pay it was an incredible hassle for some reason. We don't have a property manager, only a year round neighbor that checks on our place. We just didn't want to burden them with paying a bill for us. We are also going to look into the lawyer you recommended Kandy when we're there in December. I think we will just pay in advance when we get there but this REALLY helped in a pinch. Thanks again ladies!! Great advice from both!

#5 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

Glad it worked for you!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

0 user(s) are reading this topic