Moving To Cozumel

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Diving, cooking and relaxing.

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:15 AM

Hello -

My name is Todd and my girl friend and I are moving to Cozumel on 12-30-15 so I recently

joined site and just wanted to introduce my self. We are retiring and looking forward to island life.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:01 PM

Welcome to Cozumel, Todd.  You'll be arriving at a really lovely time of the year weather-wise.  And carnival is coming up just after the first of February!  Do be aware that all government offices will be closed down until January 10 as this is the Mexican extended holiday season which ends of 10 January with the Day of Kings.  Many local businesses will be open and certainly the grocery stores, probably the banks.  But the electric company MIGHT be closed as it is government owned?? Anyone know about this?  Getting telephone and/or cable/internet will be slow coming also before the 10th.

Where are you staying?  If it's a rental, see if it can be arranged to get your cable/internet hooked up ahead of time so it might be there and ready for you when you arrive.  

If you come in on a tourist visa,  you will typically be alllowed 180 days so no worries or hurries on that front.

Big things to bring with you: small electronic -- sound bars, laptops etc.  Local selection is not good and prices are high. And bring at least one favorite sheet set if you are able.  Nowadays amazon prime delivers a lot of items door to door in Mexico and at surprisingly low -- but not nuthin' -- shipping and customs charges.  So that has changed the ballgame a bit re what you need to bring.  

If you cook a lot, you might want to haul down your favorite spices. Oregano, cinnamon, cumin, allspice and plenty of varieties of chili powder are available but usually not much else.  Bay leaves are available but they're always in tiny pieces which are not really safe to use in soups or stews.  They might take these away from you at customs but, if they aren't opened, chances are good not.

When you actually get to the packing stage, post a list of what you're bringing and we'll try and give you advice on what to take out or what you've forgotten.  Also how to deal with the customs agents depending on what you are bringing in.

#3 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

Hello Carey -

Thanks for responding. We have been planning this for a while and think we may have most things covered but can always use more input. We have rented a place through Cozumel living with the help of Dan V. Our place should be up and going when we get there but we are coming in the first of the month to finalize everything.

I spoke with the Mexican consulate here regarding a visa and they recommended I just use my passport visa and come back and visit every 180 to renew. We are bringing our electronics but am not sure what you mean by "sound bar". I do cook and am bringing my knives. Thanks for the advice about the spices as I have been wondering about that and we are bringing a set of sheets. Other than that just bringing my scuba gear, clothes and cat and plan on getting all else there.

We are flying into Cancun when we come the first week of December but are flying straight to the island when we transport or cat so it will be less stressful on all.

We are both pretty excited. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks - Todd

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:22 AM

I would seriously think about getting permanent resident status if you are planning on living in Coz or staying there most of the year.  You just need sufficient income or money in an account.  Leaving the country every 180 could get old and the card gets you discounts and such. You can get a park card, etc, etc.   if you got on it right now you might still be able to do what needs done in the states before coming.  We used an attorney just to make it easy.  For a very reasonable prices, she took care of most everything in CZM.  

Gretchen  Martin +52 (987) 113 0217 heisel@prodigy.net.mx

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:52 AM

Good Morning Carey -

Thanks for the advice. There is a good chance we will do that in the future as for now this is our first trial and my GF's family lives in Tulsa so there is a good chance we will be going back and forth every few months or so as her parents are elderly. But I will definitely keep Gretchen's info. Thanks

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:11 AM

There are definitely some advantages to acquiring long term residence or permanent residence status.  But this can be done on the island once you decide what you wish to do.  By the way, holding a more permanent type of visa doesn't keep you from going back and forth between Mexico and the US as much as you like.  I've found the chief advantage to be the Plan Local which gets you 10% discounts in numerous restaurants and a much lower price on ferry tickets.  The longer I've lived here, however, the less I find I take the ferry.  We have more stores now.  Plus amazon prime seems to be really targetting Mexico with shipping rates that are in a downward spin and minimal customs duties.  (NAFTA, after all, is supposed to eliminate these import taxes on goods from the US, right?  But it ain't happening yet for private individuals.  Wal Mart and Sam's Club get it.  Looks like amazon has now reached this status.

Sorry little bit off topic. Heh Heh.

#7 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:16 AM

Sounds good. We will definitely look into getting that visa once we get settled in. Once again thank for the advice. By the way what did you mean in yesterdays post by "sound bar", speakers?

#8 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:20 AM

By the way, if I click something wrong it's because I'm still figuring out this site. :)

#9 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:35 AM

yah, like a Bose sound bar for your home theater.  

#10 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:38 AM

Carey did something change?  As of last year you HAD to start the perm or temp residence in your home country.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:40 AM

There are helpful threads on here by the Doc on how to obtain a resident status.

Here they are: http://www.cozumelmy...ove-to-cozumel/

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

Carey -       That's what I thought. YUP! Got me one. Also my GF is worried about a reputable hair salon. I'm sure someone there can help her with that, correct?

#13 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:01 PM

my GF is worried about a reputable hair salon.

There are several great choices and everyone has their favorite.

My family are partial to Katie Jackson's Blu Bambu Salon. My wife gets the girly stuff she likes, I get my hair cut the way I want at a reasonable price, and the pickiest of us all, our 20 y/o son, prefers to go there as well.

#14 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:03 PM

Great! Thanks MStevens. I'll pass this on to her. Nice to meet you.

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:44 PM

chief, re the starting the immigration process from outside Mexico, maybe things have changed since we started the process more than 10 years ago.  We did all the paperwork on Cozumel except when we set up our one time moving down of goods, the menaje de casa tax exemption.  That we did from the Orlando Mexican consulate in one afternoon.  But we already had our papers to present which we'd received in Mexico.

There was no mandatory requirement to start the process from outside Mexico.  It was possible to do this if you wished but it wasn't required.

#16 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 05:12 AM

Having gone through the process fairly recently (and the law has been changed and seems to be getting refined), the initial application has to be made in the immigrant's home country, in my case, Canada. It seems different officials get, and give out, different advice. I went to the Mexican Consulate in Canada three times to sort out information (original marriage licence and record wasn't good enough, etc.). They do the initial screening in your home country, then the fun begins. It is referred to the locals here. They are quite helpful, but patience is a virtue, and sometimes the information gets a bit confusing. Getting a lawyer or a local expert is absolutely sound advice as you can't just go back and forth like a tourist while you're in the process of making application and waiting for the paper work. You need permission.

#17 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 19 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

NAFTA, after all, is supposed to eliminate these import taxes on goods from the US, right?

NAFTA only covers things produced in Canada, the US, and Mexico. A whole lot of what Amazon ships isn't produced within the US.

As far as I can tell, trade agreements such as these always apply to businesses rather than individuals.

There was no mandatory requirement to start the process from outside Mexico.

Under the current law dating from 2011, the initial application for residency (permanent or temporary) MUST be made at a consulate. That means it is mandatory to start the process from outside Mexico.

I've heard a rumor (that I've been unable to substantiate) that US citizens have been able to do this at the consulate in Belize, but for all practical purposes this means a Consulate of Mexico within the applicant's home country.

If successful, this results in the issuance of a special visa that allows one to enter Mexico one time to pursue further steps towards residency within Mexico. Most applicants will be from countries from which they don't even need visas to enter Mexico, but anyone who has entered as a tourist cannot pursue the process. Entering Mexico as a tourist after the visa has been issued will cancel the visa.

#18 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:16 PM

Ok.  Just wanted to make sure I nothing had changed in the last 8 months since we completed ours.  Another tip is if you can qualify for the permanent, I would suggest skipping right to that and being done with the process more or less forever.  I think MSteven gave me that advice and it was golden.

It is a little different apparently in whatever consulate you start at. In Philadelphia it was drop off only the minimum documents to qualify and nothing else.  Then wait for a call to come back and pick up the visa. (And between certain hours, not all day and no appointment)  No real interview. MSteven leads me to believe they actually interviewed him.  The wife and I applied individually, so I don't know about the husband/wife applications.  I mentioned that in Philly (Just trying to qualify as many ways a possible) and they didn't seem fond of it. 

Gretchen told us what to have ready for her in Mexico.  It was ALOT more stuff than we gave Philly.  She wandered off with it, we went twice, once get prints and then to pick up the card.  She is wonderful.

Heck for the airfare to and from the US to get another 180 visa, it would take but what?  Maybe 2 trips to pay for a permanent visa with Gretchen's help?

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#19 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:04 AM

All great advice. We will look into pursuing this in the future. Right now we are just trying it all on for size. Starting the process in the US should not be a problem at this point as we will be making trips back and forth fairly regularly as my GF's parents are elderly and she needs to see them as often as possible at this stage. Thanks everyone for contributing.

#20 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:26 AM

Does anyone know if you still pay the 35% capital gains tax on property sold in Mexico if you have the permanent residence?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users