Photo

Does Anyone Know When Property Taxes Can Be Paid?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:38 AM

Hi--- I know you can pay your property taxes in November and get a discount. Was wondering if anyone knows when they are taking the payments.??
Thanks

#2 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:50 AM

The startup per announcements was yesterday the 17th for 25% discount. I always give them a little time to get the process up and running well before heading over there.

#3 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:08 AM

When I went last year, it was a bit chaotic. Can someone refresh my memory as this will be my 2nd time paying it myself?

Last year, I had to go to an office upstairs first to get some piece of paper. Is that the typical procedure? Then, I went downstairs to the window to pay. Is there an elevator somewhere in the Palacio?

Thanks a million!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

Take your last years receipt and wait in the line that forms downstairs to the right of the main, center front entrance of the Palacio (centers on the new plaza).  You get your statement of what you owe there.  Then you take this upstairs and pay at one of the last two windows down at the far left side of the building.  You'll see the line of people.

The window across the courtyard upstairs is the catastral office and sometimes you have to go there to get your basura assessment or some such.  But I've not had to do that for years now and always follow the procedure mentioned above.  Deb's idea to wait a bit is a good one but don't wait until the last day couple of days of the 25% off either because there's always another HUGE rush at that time as well I found out one year to my chagrin.  Bring a book.  

I never mind going to the Palacio that much for some reason.  I think it's because the building has a very nice design and orientation and even in the hottest of weather it is one of the coolest places to be.  Almost invariably very breezy and airy.

#5 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 01:20 PM

Go to the Palacio in the afternoon after 4 pm. You avoid the morning rush and usually there will be no line.

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 18 November 2015 - 02:46 PM

Ooo.  Nice tip!

#7 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:11 AM

Most recently, the entire operation has been set up downstairs near the primary doors to the Palacio.. The windows for receiving the printed calculation of tax are innermost to the building and the cashiers are closest to the doors. INSEN, owners of multiple properties and people with other special situations use the setup on the right as you walk in. All others use the windows on the left. After 4 or 5pm some windows close and you may use whichever ones are open.

Documentation for calculation of tax is last year's bill, a copy of the cedula catastral, or a paper on which you have written the municipal property ID number.

INSEN holders do not need to rush to pay during this discount period as their discount is available as long as the predial is paid on time. Additional docs are required to receive this discount -- copies of IFE for nationals or passport and formato migratorio for foreigners. CAVEAT - The INSEN discount is available only for properties below a certain valuation. This is usually posted on the municipal website but I do not see it there this morning.

If you find an error on your bill or if your bill is not available downstairs, you need to go upstairs to Tesoro for resolution. I believe that Tesoro closes at 3pm daily.

#8 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:27 AM

Wow! Never has anything been so easy in Cozumel! This is scary!

I went to the Palacio at about 10:45 this morning, while the parade/performance in the parque was going on. NO ONE was in line! There were open windows. As you walk through that entrance, I went up to a window on the left, no number necessary. The woman printed off my statement - my predial went up $686 pesos, but I was prepared for that. I paid the bill at the same window and was done in about 5 minutes!

Couldn't ask for better!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users