Need Some Advice

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Diving, cooking and relaxing.

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:20 AM

Good Morning All -

Well we finally got here and we have a few questions and would appreciate your input. We are looking to purchase a few things and also just need some general advice.

1. Best place to buy bicycles.

2. Best place to buy a TV.

3. General advice regarding how to deal with the humidity long term. Example, should medications be kept in the freezer, how to deal with mildew on bags, etc...

As I said any input would be invaluable. Happy New Year.

Thanks - Todd

#2 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:17 AM

Bienvenidos! Your adventure begins...

Bicycle depends on what type you are looking for.

TV - Best prices are at Sam's Club, which sometimes has great deals on closeout electronics (the last units in inventory), and at Chedraui, which sometimes runs cash back offers for significant spending, credited to their frequent shopper card, Moneda Naranja, available at checkout.

Meds, spices, salt, sugar, flour, etc. will keep in the fridge unless a med specifies a higher storage temperature.

If you buy a TV, note that you also require service -- Cable, satellite, or streaming via Telmex DSL or Cablemas internet.

#3 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:37 AM

Good Morning Deb -

Thanks for the reply and advice. We already have all of our services so that is not an issue with the TV. Is Chedraui the grocery store? As far as the bicycles go we are just looking or something basic at this point since I haven't ridden a bike if 50 years there is going to be a big adjustment period! :) We may get different ones in the future but for now was kind of hoping to get one at a place that will adjust them to and for us. Starting a new life and trying not to ruin it straight away! :rolleyes: Do you keep your bread in the fridge also?

#4 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:37 AM

Keep bread in the freezer...especially the "fresh" loaves you get a the store bakeries.

Cheap basic bikes at the Chedraui (grocery store on Melgar) but be aware that almost all bikes will eventually rust in the tropics.

Have a great adventure!

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

A dehumidifier is a great device to keep running in rooms that are not deeply aerated for most of the day -- e.g. ceiling fans plus opening windows--or air conditioned.

I have 3 of them, all ordered and shipped to Mexico from amazon global.  They are now often available at the various 'department stores' sometimes and also sometimes at Sam's Club, the Chedraui grocery store or the Mega grocery store.

Cheapest bikes will be at the places mentioned.  However, for adjustments and personalization, you'll need to take them to a bike repair shop.  The one that's easiest to find and which also sells bikes is 20 feet south of the big intersection of Avenida 30 and Benito Juarez on the east side of the street.  They have very good mechanics there and can order anything you need as well.  No English spoken, however.

Ditto on storing bread in fridge.  They don't generally use preservatives so take that into account. 

Agree with all the other advice given.  Also watch for garage sales and sales on this website.  I will, for example, be selling some stuff in February including a couple of extra flat screen tv's.  Will announce here when I get to that point.

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:03 PM

2. Best place to buy a TV.

3. General advice regarding how to deal with the humidity long term. Example, should medications be kept in the freezer

There is no single best place to buy nearly anything, including a TV. You have to check around to see who has what you want and compare prices. Prices change, and availability changes even more. When we got our TV, we checked everywhere on the island as well as Costco in Cancún. At that time, Mega turned out to have the best price by a significant margin. That was not at all what I would have predicted, but that's why you have to check. Also keep in mind that things run out quickly, especially if there's a sale. Sometimes they'll only have one of something. If you see something you want at a price you like, sometimes price-shopping can backfire if you later go back and it's gone.

In terms of humidity, I find Cozumel nearly exactly comparable to when we lived in Galveston and not terrifically higher than in Houston. A major difference is that most houses in Cozumel don't have central A/C, which helps keep interior humidity lower. Dehumidifiers can help, but they have to be attended to and can burn a significant amount of expensive electricity. Most medications should not be kept in a freezer. Many, but not all, can be kept in a refrigerator. Most of what you buy on the island comes individually-packed in foil bubble packs which helps a lot with humidity - those should usually be stored at room temperature.

Is Chedraui the grocery store?

Well, it's a grocery store... Other major grocery stores on the island include Mega, Aki, and Soriana.

#7 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:31 AM

Good Morning Again All -

Thanks to all of you for replying with the great advice. Most confirmed what I thought but I needed that conformation. Bought a TV yesterday at Mega. now if I can get the CableMas situation straightened out but might just end up streaming most.

Thanks for the bike advice Carrie, it's the adjustments that I was concerned about. We actually went to that bike shop when we came at the first of the month and found out about the English situation. It is very close to our house.

Thanks for the med info MStevens. Is there any particular reason to not keep meds in the freezer as opposed to the fridge or in lieu of an explanation do you happen to know a website that will explain?

Once again thanks to all who responded and hope to hear from you again. - Thanks Todd

#8 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

Re streaming, if your telmex DSL connection speed is decently fast, you can stream the MEXICAN version of Netflix.  I would recommend at least the "up to" 3 MB speed plan to do this successfully.  Mexican netflix gets plenty of programming but some different things than the US version.

If you want to stream US Netflix and programming from other US networks -- FX or CBS, for example -- you will need a VPN service that hides that your IP address is outside the US. We've been very happy with Private Internet Access, a Brit company.

#9 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

Hello Carey -

Good info. Like I said we just got a new smart TV so we haven't played with it yet but I think this will be vital info. Thanks

#10 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:17 PM

Is there any particular reason to not keep meds in the freezer as opposed to the fridge or in lieu of an explanation do you happen to know a website that will explain?

When you take frozen things out of the freezer, moisture will condense on the surface. That's more pronounced at freezer temperatures than at fridge temperatures and can add more moisture than just letting things sit in a well-sealed container at room temperature even in humid conditions. With some tablets you can run into phase separations when they're frozen.

For liquids, gels, lotions, or other runny or gloopy things, freezing can cause crystallization or phase separations that can be problematic for some medications.

The package insert should have storage information. When it says to store at room temperature, do that. (Bathrooms are almost never a very good choice, though, since they get warmer and more humid than any other room.) If you didn't get the package insert, you can find them online. You can also always ask a pharmacist - that sort of thing is what they trained for.

#11 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:33 AM

Good Morning MStevens -

Thanks for the info. Is the Casa Suzana link where you live? If so I think we live right next door. We are in Casa Luisa.

#12 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

Good Morning MStevens -

Thanks for the info. Is the Casa Suzana link where you live? If so I think we live right next door. We are in Casa Luisa.

It is when I'm there... We're right across from Cozumel Living next to a vacant corner lot. Right now there's a short-term renter there.

Which house is Casa Luisa?

Oh, and if you're in the neighborhood and don't have internet service yet, I can't recommend strongly enough that you not use Cablemas for that right now. It was great when we first got it, but for the last year speeds have been, at times, worse than dial-up and practically never enough to stream anything, download small app updates, etc. TV and phone are perfectly fine. If I were doing it now, I'd only consider Telmex since DSL speeds aren't affected much at all by overselling service in an area. If you do already have Cablemas internet, they SAY they're going to upgrade the system by November of 2015 to fix the problem...

(Yes. 2 months ago. Note that the work on the Mercado Municipal is scheduled to be done by December 2015. You get the idea.)

#13 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:29 PM

The pink house on the corner right beside yours also across from Cozumel Living. I walked over and looked and it has the sign "Casa Suzana". :) We have Telmex for internet and Cablemas for TV.

#14 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:39 PM

Nice to make your acquaintance. I'll pop by and annoy you in person when I'm next there.

You don't drive a Mini, do you?

#15 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:16 AM

Buenos Dias M -

Nice to meet you also. Sounds good. Not sure what you mean by a "Mini" but we just have a rental VW that we are probably tuning in today since we got our bikes yesterday. At this point we are removing autos from our lives. If we need one we will cab it! :)  When do you expect to be down next?

#16 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:39 AM

Mini is a brand of automobile. There was a nice one parked for a while near what I think you're saying is your house.

I try not to post tons of specific details about my comings and goings in public forums, since one way or another I'm essentially announcing a house somewhere that's less-supervised than usual. It turns out that lately for a number of reasons, including my needing to deal with a recent leukemia diagnosis and the consequent trips to Boston, hither, and yon, we don't have specific plans just now. I'm much happier when I do know the answer to that question.

#17 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:14 AM

Hello M -

If the Mini you are talking about is red it belongs to a girl that works at Cozumel Living. I understand regarding the public forums. Sorry to hear about the diagnosis and hope things will work out. That being said I will see you when you come. You know where I am! :) Once again thanks for all the good info. I will keep an eye on this string in case you contact me. Thanks - Todd

#18 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

Wishing you well and back to Cozumel mstevens.

#19 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:49 PM

Egualmente, Doc.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#20 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:44 AM

Good Morning Carey -

I read on Google News this morning that Net Flix will be blocking the VPN's within a couple of weeks. Just thought I would let you know in case you didn't see the article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users