24 replies to this topic

#21 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

I read on Google News this morning that Net Flix will be blocking the VPN's within a couple of weeks. Just thought I would let you know in case you didn't see the article.

Ugh. I guess it was just a matter of time.

What this really boils down to is the content owners (movie studios, "record" labels, TV channels, etc.) remaining stuck with outdated ideas about how and where people want to experience their content. If I'm willing to pay to watch a movie, for example, but they block me from doing so in the way that works best for me, that's just going to make me feel less bad about doing so in a way that doesn't get them paid. If I have a new-fangled MP3 player and the record label that published the music CD I bought prevents me from ripping songs to my device, then next time I might not waste money buying a CD and just go ahead and download it from somewhere.

Services such as Netflix don't (or shouldn't) care where I'm accessing my account as long as I'm paying my bill. In fact, they do let me access it from wherever. It's just that they have contracts with the content owners that limit where certain content is available, and I'm certain there are penalties for Netflix if they let me watch certain things in the "wrong" locations.

The world is a much smaller place than it used to be, people are far more mobile than they used to be, and our options for watching and listening to stuff are far more diverse than they used to be. This is a huge business opportunity, but it's going to kill companies (or entire industries) that insist that everyone adapt to them rather than the other way around.

Right now, the number of account cancellations this would cause for Netflix probably isn't enough for them to push back against movie studios or TV channels, but at some point they're going to see a significant amount of business lost that they might start refusing to license geographically limited content.

#22 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

They will try to block them but I don't think they will succeed.  For one thing there are two many of them.  For another it's easy to disguise the IP of their ping servers if you know what you're doing.  Personally I like Private Internet Access which has something like 25 servers?? in ?? 12 countries.

#23 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Diving, cooking and relaxing.

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:43 AM

Good Morning All -

Yes MStevens I agree with you completely and Carey, I certainly haven't ruled it out. Like I said I read the article and thought ya'll might want to know. Have a great day

guys. Thanks - Todd

#24 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

It will be an interesting game.  Pirate Bay stays up with the world chasing it.  VPN will succeed I think if they can turn over IP addresses faster than Netflix can identify them.  And there are some people who use a VPN just to hide behind, not to do something you technically are not allowed to do, so they will be caught up in it.

And I like PIA too.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#25 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:07 PM

I'm a PIA subscriber, as well. If Netflix thinks their content contracts depend on it, they'll certainly assign a few people to spend all day adding the IP's of various VPN servers to a blacklist. They'll start with the major ones then, as others start advertising that Netflix hasn't blocked them, that'll make it easier for Netflix to find and block those. They'll never get all of them, but it'll make it more of a pain for people to use. Right now, using a VPN is a good-enough, easy-enough solution that there's no reason for me to whine at Netflix (and HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, etc.). If they do start blocking access through VPN's, people like me are going to start lashing back. Eventually, that could lead to what should be the case now - my being able to access the account I'm paying for in the way I need to access it. The most important use of VPN is to prevent interception of private data on open networks. I would never connect to a wifi hotspot I don't personally control except using VPN.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users