1 reply to this topic

#1 lss96

lss96

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Diving

Posted 21 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

Had a pizza graving a few nights ago so we went to La Cocay.  This is our 5th year wintering here and attend many restaurants while we are here.  We have been to La Cocay at least 5 times.  We do enjoy there pasta dishes which can be a little pricey, but there pizza's are reasonably priced and good.  But I noticed when the waiter gave us the  menu's and we ordered pizza that is when things start happening.  I noticed this the last time we were at the restaurant and ordered pizza and dismissed it as the waiter having a bad day.  My Spanish is not bad so I do understand what is said but you do not have to speak the language to understand, the waiter's face and body language say's it all.  Comments like they only want pizza,  taking the menu's from the table and tossing them back on the cabinet. When I asked one of the other waiter's for the bill the waiter who made the previous comment say's loudly Ka-Ching (I assume meaning not a big tip).  I understand they rely on tips, our bill was 576 pesos and we left a 130 pesos tip when we left.  Because customers do not order from the pasta menu and order pizza this behaviour is unwarranted and customers should not be made out to feel second rate .  Unfortunately I think it is only one of the older waiter's who makes the comments.  Anyway I do not think we will be going back, there are many other restaurant's who serve a similar menu.  I do not know if the owner is aware of this behaviour, but it is to bad.             

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

I agree with much of what you said, including preferring the pizza at La Cocay. Sometimes we get other things, but that's what we enjoy there. Honestly, it's not a choice between the pizza or more expensive things on their menu - it's a choice between pizza at La Cocay or zillions of other options at many other places.

I, too, find it unpleasant when a waiter conveys that I have failed by not ordering the right thing. It's certainly not a way to encourage me to return. On the other hand, I do understand a waiter's potential frustration at intending to work at a fine dining restaurant but feeling as if he's working at a pizza place.

My solution is to ignore stuff like that when I can and to stop returning if I can't. Sounds as if you use a similar approach. In terms of your uncertainty about whether the owner is aware, you could ensure she is by sending an email to lacocay@gmail.com or lacocaycozumel@yahoo.com.mx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users