Need Advice AGAIN!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Diving, cooking and relaxing.

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:58 AM

Good Morning All -

Well we've been here a month now and settling in quite nicely so now I need a little more advice. As I have been told by many people It would be best to have a VPN for streaming TV and some music. I have been researching various aspects of VPN services (free vs pay, locations, services offered, etc...) and was wondering if I could get a popular consensus from everyone on the ones you think are best and why. I know this is a lot of trouble but your responses would be appreciated. Thanks again. - Todd

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:43 AM

Just be advised, netflix is cracking down on VPNs, so you need to do extra research as of now.  

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:17 AM

Several of us use PIA, Private Internet Access including me.  It's always been very reliable for me.  The freebies are totally worthless.  Also be advised you can't stream via a device like chromecast when you're bouncing off your VPN server.

Also you can stream your US netflix account directly without a VPN because netflix offers this service in Mexico.  Used to be they didn't get nearly the content but that's really catching up now.

If you have a cable account back in the states or friend or family who are willing to share their log in info with you, you can also use VPN to log in to things like HBOGO, ShowtimeAnytime , Starz, FX-Now and etc.

You really need at least a 3 MB download speed to stream without much or any stuttering so if you want to do this, prepare to pay more to get that speed.  Last I checked we were paying $700 MXN month for "hasta" (up to) 3 M and usually getting it.  I haven't looked lately but I think Telmex, our internet provider, now offers even faster download speeds for more money.  The upload speed ain't so hot but as long as you're not teleconferencing a lot or playing online games, you shouldn't notice an issue with that very often.

I don't remember if I mentioned it but Graboid.com is a reliable and safe source for downloading a fair number of recent movies and a lot of popular and recent tv series.  If you screen for only ones rated high quality, you will get just that.  But don't download a movie that's less than 1400 or a 30 minute tv show that's more than 350.  A lot of Mexicans use it and have done for years.  I used it for 5 years until I found a way to use VPN to stream direct and never had any problems with viruses or the gobermint.

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

It is being reported on the PIA user site that PIA use is being affected on Netflix VPN crackdown.  I used PIA as well.    I have on the other hand heard that the Mexico netflix catalog is good and in some areas better than the US catalog.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Diving, cooking and relaxing.

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:39 PM

Once again great info so far. Thanks for your responses. - Todd

#6 Jay

Jay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

Has anyone tried SmartDNS? Different from VPN - you register with a US DNS service and point the route rto that for DNS services.

Jay

#7 Jay

Jay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

Signed up with ExpressVPN - watching US Netflix nightly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users