1 reply to this topic

#1 obispo

obispo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:almost anything

Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:23 PM

I have friends coming to Cozumel in February and they want to do a day trip to Chichen Itza.  Does anyone have any recommendations regarding: tour company, what to wear or not to wear, etc.?

obispo

#2 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

My gal pal and I did CI this late January from Playa del Carmen. Tour prices & what is included vary wildly, so shop around. We ended up going with Easy Tours @ US$65 each. We paid the extra $5 for the van vs the bus... it's faster and a smaller group. We had a good group of 12 people: 1/2 English speakers & 1/2 Spanish + our nice van driver. Of course, after we contracted to pay we looked on TripAdvisor and were horrified by ET's bad reviews. It finally came thru that most of the bad reviews were from bus people, so another vote for the van.

We were picked up close to our lodgings @7:30am...(it is a long day). After a couple more pick-up stops we were on the road. We were allowed to use the bathrooms at an All Inclusive hotel when we stopped to pick up a couple there. First real stop was in Tulum pueblo, next to the San Francisco Mkt. Ok place to pick up snacks/water but terrible bathrooms there - yuk.  Our tour included a trip to the gorgeous Cenote Ik-Kil. Take a bathing suit & towel if you feel like you want to jump in. Next was a stop for a fairly extensive lunch (beer/wine/refrescos extra). Then 2+ hours @ CI with a guide that spoke our language & then let us roam around. Last was a short stop in Valladolid to wander around, buy an helado &/or do a bathroom pitstop. All admission fees, guide fees, & lunch cost were included. We got back to Playa around 8... like I said it was a long day.

I felt we were lucky it was somewhat coolish & overcast for some of the day. Both us ladies wore capri length pants, sneakers and sleeveless blouses. We both brought along a little long sleeve shirt for more warmth but we could also be cool in our sleeveless. My friend wore a hat, I went with sunglasses. We both brought a suit & towel but decided not to jump in the cenote. If it had been June I would have def jumped in, but again it was a little cool for me.

Bring camera, some road snacks, WATER, sunscreen & money. You are allowed to bring a small bag into the CI grounds, but no big backpacks. There are myriad gift shops available to browse thru, as well as vendors all over the CI site, which was a bit of a shock to me. I went years ago - when you were allowed to climb the temple steps - and don't remember people selling things on the grounds. I was actually chastised by my friend for telling her we didn't need to bring much money.... she's more of a shopper.  And you will want $ to tip your CI guide as well as your driver. Our driver was a gem... really looked out for all of us. We both thought we got good value for the money, were very pleased by our Easy Tour and plan to give them a good review on TA. 

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users