6 replies to this topic

#1 John Matt

John Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Living in paradise!

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:56 AM

Looking to buy some sod for some yard repair and renovation.

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

I've never seen sod in any garden store on the island.   Your best bet might be to check Home Depot in Cancun.  But I don't hold out great hopes.

You might want to consider a combination of white gravel (grava fina) with island beds filled with good dirt and  then planted with bushes, trees, flowers.  That's what my husband ended up doing.  Good soil is readily available at all the garden places on the island and any gardener will bring you some  which he'll just go out in the jungle and dig up. 

Grava Fina you can order at Maravailla, the gravel works very near Alicia's B and B on 65.  If you go to Alicia's, you'll see the outer wall of Maravilla across the street.  Turn left (away from 65) and follow down the wall, turn right and continue until you see the gate.  Maravilla is quite the experience, let me tell you.  The old Cozumel folks for sure.  No English spoken but you can get some nice white gravel delivered cheap.  Be sure to specify which pile you want it from.  Don't let them sell you grava with a lot of polvo -- sand in it-- if possible.

Me gustaria comprar grava fina sin mucho pulvo.  I would like to buy fine white gravel without much sand in it.

Buen suerte.  

One thing about grass, by the way.  It attracts mosquitos hideously.  That may be one reason there isn't all that much grass around.

#3 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:20 AM

As plants grow so fast here, most people renovate with seed and soil. There are seed mixes for sun and for shade.

The vivero on Av 25 and Calle 5 may be able to order sod for you. They used to stock it before they moved from their larger lot on the Transversal.

#4 John Matt

John Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

Carie & Deb,

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the comments and recommendations.....

JM

#5 Northend

Northend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:25 PM

Sod can be found at Rios Services de Jardineria y Flores, corner of 65 and airport road.  We paid 80 pesos per meter, installed,  3 weeks ago.  It's soft, short, tight, fairway grass, not that thick blade grass, though that is also available.  Don't expect North American standard rolls.  These are hand cut rolls.  Our lawn is doing fine and will be ready for its first trim/cut soon.  We used a scuba air tank for a lawn roller and it laid out fine. Will be able to tap a couple golf balls shortly.  Their telephone is 987-869-3113 or Cell 987-113-4805.

#6 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:58 AM

You might want to ask for Japanese grass. Looks like a normal lawn, but It resists those nasty and inevitable hormegas that can eat up an entire lawn. Came back from Canada to find our lawn, planted from seed, completely gone. One of the delivery lads saw the devastation and mentioned this solution. He had his friend bring over sod, sold it to us and planted and rolled it. Don't know where he got it, but it it is definitely hormega resistant. It's been war on hormegas thus far, and we seem to be winning. Oh, a tip tho'...don't try to compost in your yard like you might try in Canada or the US. Tried that... and BAD IDEA!!! Hormegas 2- Me-1.

#7 John Matt

John Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:42 AM

Thanks again for the replies everyone. Working on the project now!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: landscaping, gardening, Grass, Yard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users