25 replies to this topic

#1 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:51 AM

Almost no activity on what was once a very friendly place to meet. Didn't really notice much butt hurt on previous posts so I guess everybody moved on.

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#2 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:06 AM

It has been slow here lately.  Everybody must be waiting for my wife and I to arrive next week!  Then they will have something to talk about again. :)

Skip (aka: VideoVern)

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#3 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:10 PM

I have been wondering too.  I stop by every day to check.

#4 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

We were coming again this year but we bought a new Harley and I gave my wife the option. She chose the bike damit!

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#5 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:47 PM

Yeah. I used to check this blog every day, just to keep up with what's new, but its been almost dead for quite a while now. I have to get my Coz fix on Scuba Board. Still trying to figure out which Dive Op had its boat swamped off of Palancar beach - divers and crew all swam to shore safely. Rogue wave?

#6 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Diving, cooking and relaxing.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:27 AM

Good Morning -

I am still here (for what that's worth :) ). I have noticed a drop off also but I still try to look in every day or two. From talking to people here on the island I think that many have moved to the Cozumel4you site but I don't care for it as I am not a big Face Book fan and many posts seem to get snippy. I don't like the drama. This site seems to have nicer people.

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:15 PM

I check in daily. I think people are probably just living their lives.

#8 kentukcoz

kentukcoz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

I've been lurking for a while but haven't contributed much since we've just been back once (lastyear) out of the last several and won't be back this. But we will be back.

#9 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 07:45 PM

I've been down here for about a month now. It's been chilly with the nortes coming in but when they are not here it has been warming up quite a bit.

There is a new car ferry in port but not sure if and when it will go into service.

The Playa pier has been completely redone. You now have to go upstairs then back down to board the ferry.

They are building a small marina by the Cozumel ferry pier to take care of the smaller boats that used to be tied up there.

Two divers have been lost and one boat swamped since I have been here and we have had 4 houses robbed in our neighborhood.

Kelly's has been sold and under new management. Gene is seen around town at local bars with a smile on his face.

Still haven't been down to the remodeled square but it looks good at night.

There are a few new restaurants in town that are getting good reviews but haven't had a chance to eat at them all yet.

The drive down was good and will post photos when I return home sometime in April.

All in all Cozumel has changed a little but the people are still great. There is no better place to be for the winter than here.

This is hard for me to say but Chedraui has some excellent beef now. They carry choice and beef from Senora. Both are very good 

but I personally think the Senora beef is better. Both are expensive at anywhere from $237 to $442 pesos per kilo. The cuts carried are sirloin, strip, and rib eye. 

#10 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:45 AM

It's true, that many have moved to cozumel4you and I find that site useful, but 'scattered' insofar as subject matter, i.e. there are no threads (files), and back searches on a subject can take forever, if not impossible or wading through repetitive items. Not to be critical, but i suppose it's a matter of taste. Cozumel FB junkies have an instantaneous chat site that suits some, but not others. For me, I don't like sorting through a lot of chaff in the form of personal commentary to get to the wheat of a subject, but on the other hand there is something to be said for instant social interaction (sans nastiness). Personally, I like face to face with people in the community here. Thus for me, this site is still better organized by subject, and I still check it out on a regular basis, and try to give back just a little bit of what I have gained from this site over the years that led to buying a place and commitment here in the first place. I suppose it's a losing battle of technology, tho'. Waiting for Cozumel on Twitter and Instagram (lol).

#11 Freezin' Canuck

Freezin' Canuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:57 AM

Congratulations Steve, for giving the up-date. I should be more self critical, and offer only my lame excuse that I've been tied up in a reno project that has lasted since November, and had a number of visitors and relatives and the time has just flown by. I want to hasten to add to Steve's newsy report and assure everyone that that there is plenty new to check out in Coz. The nortes played havoc with at least one Carnaval parade this year, and I've been in the pool just once as its been too bloody cold, qualified only by the temps in Canada hovering at -14.

#12 TBenton

TBenton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Diving, cooking and relaxing.

Posted 28 February 2016 - 06:00 AM

Good Morning Canuck -

Yes you are correct about C4U also too many ads. You're also right about technology. lol.

#13 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 08:17 AM

Good Morning Steve,

we will be getting to the island the middle of the week and  am looking forward to running into you at Wendy's or the Pub.  I guessing those are your regulars now?  Looks like the next couple of weeks of weather will be pretty decent with highs in the upper 70's

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#14 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:29 AM

The Pub seemed to be the new popular spot for the locals when we were there in December. The food was pretty good too !

I had heard the rumor about Kelly's and we watched a collage football game there with a few folks but it was not very busy.

I will post a review in the food section soon. There is a little casual place called Lobster Shack that was started by Daniel who used to work at Kinta. He also  has a Taco place  a few doors down.

Mike

#15 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:05 PM

For what it's worth, Steve, beef has gotten more expensive here in the States. And 425 Pesos per kilo, at current exchange rates, is about $10.55 per pound. I'm paying nearly $15 a pound for choice ribeye here in Texas, and over $4 a pound just for ground chuck. So those prices don't sound out of line. The problem is that corn prices have been driven up by the ethanol mandates - corn going to ethanol production can't be used to feed cattle. It shouldn't matter if we all ate just grass fed beef, but we've all become accustomed to the taste of corn-fed beef.

#16 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

Dan, I agree with you.if you're from the states the price isn't that bad. I had the butcher at Chedraui take the last part of the rib eye roast he had which came out to 4.5 lbs and turn it into hamburger for me. It had a nice thick layer of fat so made some excellent sliders.I picked up a couple of 2" thick strip steaks two nights ago and they were excellent also.

Verne... will see you at Wendy's probably middle of the week.

#17 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

You two are making me hungry !!!!!! :)

#18 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 28 February 2016 - 10:11 PM

The Playa pier has been completely redone. You now have to go upstairs then back down to board the ferry.

Kelly's has been sold and under new management. Gene is seen around town at local bars with a smile on his face.

Apparently not for everyone.  We were heading to Barcos at the same time an Ultramar was leaving.    There was a guy standing there with an ultramar sign pointing onto the stairs up.  We walked by and straight out and joined the Ultramar people coming down the stairs.  Weird.

And Scott the new owner at Kelly's is a nice guy.  Got an escape room thing going on there too now.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#19 broylance

broylance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:31 AM

Steve,

Thanks for the update on Gene.  I would have been upset to show up at Kelly's without knowing this ahead of time.  I hope he is happy and well.

Enjoy the rest of your visit and I know we are all looking forward to seeing your pictures.

#20 cdlu

cdlu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:21 PM

Was on the island Feb. 13 - 20:

• The newly remodeled square is beautiful! I love being able to see all over and love the changing colors in the trees. on the clock tower and the fountain. 
  • El Moro is my new favorite restaurant

Cindy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users