• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 keywestjesse

keywestjesse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:56 PM

I would like to rent a small skiff for a day.  I'm not interested in a charter or group trip.  I'm a licensed captain with more experience than most.  Hoping to find a Panga or other skiff with masks, snorkels and fins.  Does anyone have a boat or know someone that would rent it? 

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:42 PM

If you could find such a thing, you would need to keep in mind that you wouldn't be allowed to operate it within the Marine Park nor to snorkel there without a guide in any event.

#3 keywestjesse

keywestjesse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

I am open to looking outside the box.  We generally miss the water because we have unlimited boat access at home and just drive around, hang with locals and don't worry about anything other than the next appetizer.  I have a handheld chart plotter and I'm sure it's not difficult to find great sites outside the Marine Park.  Where I live the best stuff is not where everyone goes... Having been through most of the Caribbean on my own boat, I have a great respect for nature and we prefer to find something special outside of the park.  I'm hoping to find a dependable boat from someone that could use the money or maybe they are just really nice.  I'm respectful and treat equipment very well. 

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:35 AM

I really think license and permit issues are going to get in the way of this, but maybe someone will come up with something.

#5 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 10:52 AM

You can not captain your own motorboat period.

Dono

It's those changes in latitudes!

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:30 PM

Dono, I don't know that is true.  You saying I can't buy a boat in Abrigo, drive up north and fish?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 El Graduado

El Graduado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:45 PM

Rule 36 of the marine park rules says that private boats may use the park without permits:

Regla 36. Las embarcaciones de uso particular, en tránsito, de auxilio o rescate, así
como las de uso oficial no requieren permiso para transitar dentro del Parque. Sin
embargo, las actividades que realicen dentro de los polígonos están sujetas a las disposiciones
establecidas en el Programa y en las presentes Reglas

What this means is that a private boat under the command of an individual who is not charging for services (someone who is not a "prestador de servicios") may enter the park with his boat and engage in aquatic activities such as snorkeling PROVIDED it follows all the park rules.  The park rules can be accessed online and downloaded as a PDF from this link:

http://www2.inecc.go...df&filename=174

#8 keywestjesse

keywestjesse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the info.  I think it's great that the park has rules to protect the natural resources and that they enforce it by empowering guides.  I guess the only way to do it would be to borrow a private boat so that services are not provided.  I may have to stick to eating fresh island food and meeting friendly people.  Could be worse!  Thanks for all of your help, the forum is very helpful and I appreciate all of the guidance.  :)

#9 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:50 PM

To operate a "motorboat" you have to be a licensed operator. You will not get a license as a tourist.  

#10 El Graduado

El Graduado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:05 PM

Hi Dono,

By license, do you mean a libreta del mar

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

El Grad has weighed in.  Dono, I'm just warning you, he knows pretty much everything.  I got a weird question about something obscure on Cozumel, I ask him.  Just sayin'

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#12 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:55 AM

I've tried to rent, borrow, steal a boat for years. That's always the answer. Go get your boat, have fun, post up a nice report.

Dono

#13 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

Rule 36 of the marine park rules says that private boats may use the park without permits:

Regla 36. Las embarcaciones de uso particular, en tránsito, de auxilio o rescate, así
como las de uso oficial no requieren permiso para transitar dentro del Parque. Sin
embargo, las actividades que realicen dentro de los polígonos están sujetas a las disposiciones
establecidas en el Programa y en las presentes Reglas

What this means is that a private boat under the command of an individual who is not charging for services (someone who is not a "prestador de servicios") may enter the park with his boat and engage in aquatic activities such as snorkeling PROVIDED it follows all the park rules.  The park rules can be accessed online and downloaded as a PDF from this link:

http://www2.inecc.go...df&filename=174

I'm not so sure I fully agree with that interpretation. The provision that all the park rules must be followed would mean that a licensed guide is still needed for snorkeling from a boat, wouldn't it?

#14 DONO

DONO

Resident Pirate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

" Dono, I'm just warning you, he knows pretty much everything.  I got a weird question about something obscure on Cozumel, I ask him.  Just sayin' "

...and all this time I thought we were friends

#15 El Graduado

El Graduado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

I'm not so sure I fully agree with that interpretation. The provision that all the park rules must be followed would mean that a licensed guide is still needed for snorkeling from a boat, wouldn't it?

Right.  But, the question I was addressing was "could he captain his own boat (or a boat he rented) into the park."  As far as the park rules go, he can drive his own boat in park waters, without the need of a permit, if he follows all the other park rules.  That is why I wrote "may enter the park with his boat and engage in aquatic activities such as snorkeling PROVIDED it follows all the rules" with the word "provided" in caps.  There is a long list of these of these rules. One of them would be he would need to bring along a guide, as you say.  There are many other rules he would need to follow and lists of equipment his boat would need to have aboard, which is why I attached the link to the page with all the rules. 

I wasn't trying to encourage or discourage him from trying.  I just wanted to him know that it can be done if you follow all the regulations and also to let other folks see that the park rules are published and accessible.  However, I imagine that even if snorkeling without a guide was expressly allowed, someone unfamiliar with Cozumel waters who wanted to find good snorkeling spots in the park would be wasting most of their time looking for them anyway.  Local knowledge is priceless.

I'm not sure how well the park rules are enforced as written.  There seems to be a lot of grey areas that they turn a blind eye towards.  For example, they say you can't snorkel without a guide in park waters, but everybody at Papitos, Cunchacab, Sky Reef, Corona Beach, El Presidente, etc., etc. snorkel without a guide everyday.  They say you must wear a flotation device, but that is not enforced in those areas, either.  I have been on several private boats with friends to Cielo, Chunchacab, etc., without a guide aboard and no one thought twice about it.  The rules also say there is no shore diving allowed from park shores, except from sandy, coral-free areas.  Again, this rule seems to be ignored and unenforced as far as shore dives entering and exiting many of these above-mentioned areas.  Same thing with the rules regarding night dives.  No more than six night-divers to one guide, the rules state, but folks make unguided night dives from their hotels all the time.

#16 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

El Grad has weighed in.  Dono, I'm just warning you, he knows pretty much everything.  I got a weird question about something obscure on Cozumel, I ask him.  Just sayin'

He has answers to questions I haven't even imagined.

I'm not sure how well the park rules are enforced as written.

You may not be sure, but I am. I'm pretty sure they're enforced inconsistently. Your examples are spot-on.

I've had the park patrol stop the boat I'd chartered for my daughter's birthday to check whether we had a licensed dive guide. We did, because the friend we were with is a full-time divemaster/instructor. Not sure why they decided to do that, because we'd chartered the easily-recognizable boat from a well-known dive op, so it was a regular dive boat captained by our pal the dive boat captain and with passengers consisting of our DM friend's family, the captain's family, and my family (so it would have looked like a pretty typical dive outing). I suspect it was time of day, which would've been a very atypical dive shop outing.

I've also been stopped and told that I can't snorkel without a vest. I apparently had to point out that the big, bright-yellow thing I was in the process of putting on was one of those. I'm guessing the issue is that I own it and didn't rent it, but maybe it was supposed to say what it was in large letters.

I always presume I'm the one they're going to enforce the rules with and I don't assume that just because everyone else gets away with something I will. There are things that no matter how long I might live there I'll never be local enough to get away with that my friends and neighbors don't think twice about and would never have any trouble over. That blind eye about the grey areas focuses better on foreigners than it does on locals.

#17 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:56 AM

---Keywestjesse please check your in box i sent you a message
Smiles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users