• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 scott.miller

scott.miller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:22 PM

Every four years, I bring about 30 Boy Scouts to Cozumel for diving. In July, we will be down for a week of island fun. This forum has always had great suggestions for restaurants for our group. We need places that will accommodate this size of group and be reasonable cost. We look for a different place each night. Thanks in advance for any ideas for feeding a hungry group of teenage divers!

#2 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:27 AM

I'd recommend that you connect with the restaurants before showing up for your meal.  Here are some ideas....

El Coctelito - on Melgar south end of town

La Choza - on 10 between 3rd and Salas 

La Mission - on 55 (or 55 bis) between Juarez and Calle 1

Las Deliciass - on 30 between Calle 2 and 4

You could call Room Service and have them deliver a bunch of pastor pizzas from Los Seras (I don't know that they could accomodate a group of 30 at their location....but the pizzas are great)

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:29 AM

Hamburguesas Tio Memo (less for burgers than for tacos)

El Moro

La Conchita del Caribe

La Perlita

Taqueria los Chilangos (which doesn't actually have tacos, but does have huaraches and quesadillas)

El Coctelito used to be on 20 Avenida Sur, but it's now on Melgar at the NORTH end of the downtown area, near the airport road.

*La* Mission is in the central downtown area on Rosado Salas between 5 Avenida and Melgar, and is probably too small for that group. *Casa* Mission occupies the block between Juarez and Calle 1 Sur and 50 and 55 Avenidas (55 bis would cut right through it), and would accommodate that group. There's also *Parilla* Mission, which is now in the back of the mothership. It usually closes at the end of the afternoon, but would have been a great option in their former location on 30 Avenida and might possibly be available by reservation for a large group. It's less expensive and more casual than Casa Mission.

#4 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:30 PM

Finding restaurants that can accomodate that big a group could be tough. Two that spring to mind are Casa Mission, a large old traditional Mexican Hacienda, with lots of space for big groups (though with 30, you might be splint into two or three tables), and El Moro. El Moro can handle quite a large group, though again, you might be split between two or three big tables. Casa Mission is a bit more formal, and a bit pricier. El Moro is very casual, very reasonable, and has a very extensive menu. Send a message to Ray, El Moro's owner, on the Facebook page for El Moro, Ray is very friendly and will work hard to make you happy. You might also try Rolandi's, an italian place on the waterfront - I think they can handle a big group, though 30 is quite a crowd. Rolandi's also has some very good wood fire pizzas, which the boys might really like, plus the traditional Italian fare. Go to the Rolandi's web page and you can print a coupon for a discount.

You might also look into Del Sur Argentine Empanadas, although a group of 30 might take up the whole restaurant. I love Del Sur, and make a meal of several empanadas, both savory and sweet. Three or four Empanadas can make a meal, and they are very reasonable - 19-23 Pesos each, which is less than $1.50 each at current exchange rates. The Del Sur empanada is excellent.

#5 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:02 PM

I would say El Coctelito for sure!!!! Fresh fish -great prices

#6 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 02:56 PM

Las Delicias that Pecas mentioned went in where *Parilla* Mission was on 30 btwn 2&4. So far getting good reviews. They could handle 30, I'm sure. But yes, with that big of a group - let those restaurants know you are coming!

FB page: https://www.facebook...071428219544484

So is it "ass" or "as"

;-)

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#7 scott.miller

scott.miller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:57 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input. We always setup our dinners in advance. Feel free to send any other suggestions. Looks like many good ideas so far.

#8 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:27 AM

What kind of food do they generally prefer?

#9 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:13 PM

Otates might have room for your crowd. Also Los Chilangos on 30th. Both have great prices and good grub.

#10 scott.miller

scott.miller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for all the ideas and replies via email. It's almost time for our trip. Any last minute ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

#11 pecas

pecas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 01:53 PM

Catrina on 11 between Ave 20 y 25 is another idea.  Good food and very reasonable prices.

#12 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

I've been liking La Catrina. Unusually for the island, they have breakfast, lunch, and supper.

Just down the road, La Antojeria is good and not expensive for lunch and supper. Their day and night menus are completely different.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dinner, boy scout, large group

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users