• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:06 PM

On Thanksgiving we reserved the Presidente for May 12-19. We got an email that they are closing the middle of next month all the way thru the beginning of July. Once we dug deeper we found out they are closing for renovations

#2 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

Oh, no stopping for dinner at the Napa Grill, I guess?

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#3 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:47 AM

That is really rude.  I think they should honor existing reservations.  Sheesh.

#4 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:45 AM

Or, they should make arrangements with another property to provide you with similar (or better) accommodations.

VideoVarn (aka: Skip)

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 02 April 2016 - 11:09 AM

That is really rude.  I think they should honor existing reservations.  Sheesh.

Do you think there is literally ever going to be a time when they have absolutely no reservations at all for a couple of months? 

#6 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

Do you think there is literally ever going to be a time when they have absolutely no reservations at all for a couple of months?

Yes. If they plan for the renovations and refuse to accept reservations during that time period.

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

Yes. If they plan for the renovations and refuse to accept reservations during that time period.

While ideal, it's not always possible to honor existing reservations. If for whatever reason a hotel needs to shut down completely for this long, that reason could easily be something that can't wait for years. I've booked that particular hotel over a year ahead and I'll bet they have bookings s couple of years ahead.

I'm not saying they don't have obligations to those who've booked. I definitely think they need to make arrangements for alternate comparable accommodations rather than simply notify people with bookings. I've heard from someone who booked a package through Orbitz which now wants to send them to a hotel in Cancún and won't let them cancel their package without a penalty.

I have no clue what they're doing, but most of the likely possibilities are likely to be noisy or otherwise unpleasant. If it's something that can't wait until they have no bookings for the requisite duration, then guests they do have are going to be upset at the noise and disruption. It's possible that shutting down completely would keep the duration of disruption briefer than trying to work around guests.

For all I know, this involves something that really must be done on very short notice. For all I know, it's just bad planning and a cavalier attitude towards their customers. Either way, they're screwing themselves as a business. They've also done somewhat similar things before. I would have been upset at this at their old prices, and assuming I'd be willing to book at their current prices I'd be even more upset.

#8 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

That was my point MStevens.  If it needs to be done it needs to be done, but the way they are doing it stinks and seems really poor for a property of that stature.

#9 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:19 PM

yeah they offered to move us to one of their resorts in cancun and if there was a difference in flight they would just upgrade our room to comp the difference, well we dont wanna go to cancun. BC we booked as a package deal and they wouldnt refund us the flight also it was hurting us when just booking a room. So we cancelled everything and took the penalty on our flight. Just sucks, the one time I want to try something different and they shut down on us. I told my husband we have already been kicked out of our hotel and we havent even gotten there!! lol. Anyways, we just went with Secrets bc weve been there before. Same week. So it will be ok, just stressful.

#10 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:11 PM

I really used to be a fan of the Presidente. It was part of how we got hooked on Cozumel. They (whatever "they" might mean in this context) have just made too many poor decisions ever since Wilma. I guess this is one more.

#11 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:12 AM

Restaurant is still good.  Never stayed there, but I can eat there and feel as special as MSteven and dream.....    :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#12 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

I really used to be a fan of the Presidente. It was part of how we got hooked on Cozumel. They (whatever "they" might mean in this context) have just made too many poor decisions ever since Wilma. I guess this is one more.

It was the place we stayed our first ever trip to Cozumel back in the early 90's i think it was.  Even then a can of diet coke was 6 bucks!  We did love it though.

#13 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:19 PM

I can eat there and feel as special as MSteven and dream.....

Hey, I gots a house to pay for. I can't even be affordin' none o' the Cokes them high-rollers buy there.

#14 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:31 AM

I know.  We had to pay 20 bucks for a taxi and sneak stuff in LOL.

#15 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

I think the first time we ate lunch there, they told us we couldn't use the pool.  Felt like they thought we would leave a ring around it.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#16 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:40 AM

I think I was too young and in love too even notice snooty.

#17 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:25 AM

we were really excited to try it. maybe next time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users