10 replies to this topic

#1 WildBill

WildBill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, Photography, Writing, Traveling

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:21 AM

I come to the site every other day, and echo Dono's post, where is everyone. And while searching for a cheaper way I found a great rate on SouthWest to Cancun. And as we are only flying from Houston it isn't that long and we'll be in Coz with plenty of time to enjoy some afternoon appetizers and a marg or two on our first days sunset! But as I research this great rate I find a wicked little snake in the grass - check this.

Base Fare
$198.00

+Excise Taxes
$35.60

$233.60

+Passenger Facility Charge
$4.50

+Security Fee1 Security Fee is the government-imposed September 11th Security Fee.
$5.60

+U.S. Customs User Fee
$5.50

+U.S. APHIS User Fee
$3.96

+U.S. Immigration User Fee
$7.00

+Mexico International Airport Departure Tax
$29.80

+Mexico Tourism Tax
$21.13

Total per Passenger
$311.09 

x 2 Passenger(s)

Total
$622.18
1 Security Fee is the government-imposed September 11th Security Fee.

So, my little $198 flight grew to a porky & portly $311.09. Still cheaper than the $500 plus (plus the same fees) a direct flight will take, and only cost us a couple of hours each way. Combined with a short flight from Houston, having never been to Carmen (and curious) the diversion is all part of the Mexican travel experience. I have traveled some rough travel locations in my lifetime (Egypt, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, India, Kenya, Tanzania, Burma - when it was Burma and plenty of others) and all of them were worth the difficulties they presented. I recently enjoyed jumping on the public bus in Progresso to get to Merida when I didn't like the deal Carnival was slinging - then we grabbed a cab back. Yeah, my destinations have definitely become more tame as the world changes.

Bottom line, thanks SouthWest, your saving us a little money. And thanks to the governments on both sides for all the taxes & fees that help keep too many travelers from making it to Coz to realize this little paradise! Jeez, $113 in fees & taxes. That's roughly a 57% increase.

Okay, stepping off the soap box!

Attached Files

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:49 AM

I think it's really "this is how you keep peeps from travelling by air". Most of those fees aren't Mexico-specific and none are Cozumel-specific.

Don't forget to budget about USD$25 per person each way for the bus and ferry. 

#3 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:41 AM

On American we have to pay for luggage too!

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:40 PM

Holy cr*p, I never pay more than 400ish tops from Baltimore to Cancun.  Been under 300 at times.

AND I am waiting for a refund from SW for all my MX tourism tax, since I got a PR Card!  Just figured that out.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 WildBill

WildBill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, Photography, Writing, Traveling

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:23 PM

Holy cr*p, I never pay more than 400ish tops from Baltimore to Cancun.  Been under 300 at times.

AND I am waiting for a refund from SW for all my MX tourism tax, since I got a PR Card!  Just figured that out.

SW and other airlines do not always base pricing strictly on actual air miles, flight time or fuel burned. Many fares will be marketing based, when from a given departure point there are typically empty seats. Like Baltimore to Cancun, during the winter when folks up north don't want to shovel the white stuff. Or when the airline wants to maintain a specific share of the market, or is in the process of trying to run another carrier out of a market by underselling them. Its a wild world out there and we often don't have all the info we need to understand how's and why's of what they do and for what reason. We can only hope that we catch the best pricing we can for our trips and spend that saved money on our pleasure while in Coz. 

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:48 PM

My favorite was when SW first started flying to CUN. From the airport in Manchester, NH I have to connect at BWI. I found a fare so low I couldn't turn it down. My famously cheap brother lives not far from BWI, so I figured he could actually hop on the same flight I'd be taking from there and we could spend some time on the island together. Not so fast! The fare for him would have been over double what I would pay. Even though my journey would have been longer in hours and miles, his would have been non-stop, so his was considerably more expensive.

#7 rexster314

rexster314

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:41 PM

I bought United's non stop from IAH to CZM yesterday for $731 / two adults. We take 1 nice size suitcase and pack stuff in our carryons.

#8 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:41 PM

I don't understand all those fees. I book with my Southwest card using points and only have to pay taxes and fees. I only purchase a one way ticket and the total cost is $29.50. It doesn't make any sense. The points aren't bad either. Only cost me 5,600 points.

#9 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

I am waiting on my refund from SW on the MX tourism tax.  Should be processed in a month or so.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#10 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:39 AM

I am waiting on my refund from SW on the MX tourism tax.  Should be processed in a month or so.

#11 captain ronald

captain ronald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:41 AM

I booked our trip in June last night about 11 pm.  This morning Delta jumped $102.  Pretty good timing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users