16 replies to this topic

#1 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:46 PM

I have been informed that the Wyndham is going adults only on the 1st of March. Does anyone know what changes this will bring? I have enjoyed my visits there these last few years but I can't help but wonder what will be in store for me when I come back down there the beginning of May.
Thanks
Gary
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

In one word: Boobs :P

Cozumel Diving

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:16 PM

As per the hotel's site, they state

Notice:

The Wyndham Cozumel Resort and Spa is in the process of transitioning to an adults-only resort, and as of February 15, 2010, we will no longer accept new reservations that include children under the age of 18 years old. During the transition period we will honor all existing reservations for families with children through August 1st 2010"

It is a large complex, and from what they are posting, not sure if this just effects one portion of the resort, or all of it.

You might want to go online and see what else has changed, but from what I understand, the timeshare sharks are gone, they sold everything out. They are upgrading the restaurants, and menus.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

Is it going back to that Aura swingers gig they tried for awhile last year. That never took off, right? Very short-lived. So this is no kids but not wild nudie swinging in the hot tubs, right?

#5 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 12 February 2010 - 09:45 PM

Excellent! Both of the above postings sound very promising.

On a bit more serious note. I have always liked the place but the one area I (and others) have found lacking was the food. Sure it was edible and sometimes quite good (Roberto' s) but an improved menu will really make things much nicer.
Thanks again!
Gary
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

#6 Guest_pecosgirl_*

Guest_pecosgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:34 PM

Well, IMO AI food is AI food and nothing is going to change that.

#7 MusicMan

MusicMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:39 AM

I'm not sure that makes sense. While AI food might not ever compare to gourmet dining, additional expense, attention to detail, etc certainly should make a difference. I've eaten food at AIs that ranged from practically inedible to pretty darn good... not GREAT...but better than many restaurants at which I've eaten.
Cruisin' toward retirement!!

#8 spidersd

spidersd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

What is "Al" food? Thanks

#9 lsr3

lsr3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

"AI" food means "All Inclusive".
It refers to those luke warm, buffet lines offered at many hotels that offer an "All inclusive" option.
Skip AI and eat in town.

Have great food at low prices.

#10 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

I understand All Inclusive for places like the Dominican Republic. Before we discovered Cozumel, we stayed in DR several times. For poor nations trying to build their tourism, it's probably a good idea. Dangerous to venture off the AI (though we did frequently with no problem in DR). But for Coz, why stay at an AI given the excellent food, safety, and snorkel/diving experiences on the island? I have to chuckle when folks ask us which AI we're staying at (or what cruise boat we're on). We love staying in town.

#11 Willie

Willie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles; Cozumel; Reading;

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

Dawn,

I get the same questions. I tell them i stayed at an AI the first time I went to Cozumel, but have learned better. Most people that have never been are scared to not stay at an AI. I hear people say they went to Cozumel, but would never think of leaving the compound they are staying at. Its just too dangerous. I just laugh and try to tell them, but most don't listen. Oh well, thier loss.

#12 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

My co-worker & his family have reservations for the Wyndham the first week of June. They received an e-mail last week informing them the buffet food option was being discontiuned effective immediately. All food will now be made to order at the resort.

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

Wyndam which used to be called Reef Club has kind of a bad history of people getting ill eating the food. Thought it might change when they renamed it and presumably got new management??? But reports were starting to surface again.

I expect this might be why they decided to stop buffet service. Much harder to contaminate fresh, made-to-order food.

Buffets anywhere can be a hazard to your health with all those people hanging over the food, spreading around their germs. But compound that with food left out in the hot tropical sun and a very slack restaurant inspection system and you have a potential recipe for double trouble on the gastrointestinal front.

#14 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:21 PM

Geez, does that mean no Mayo left out all day, or eggs?

I think this should be news to celebrate...no more contamination bar.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#15 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

Anyone heard any news about theft at the Wyndham? My friends are getting worried..... Apparently they have been reading posts on TA about laptops getting stolen, room safes being broken in to. Please advise if you have any knowledge. They are thinking of requesting a hotel change from their travel agent.

#16 Tim972

Tim972

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

My wife and I have stayed at Reef Club/Wyndham over ten times in the last ten years and have never had any problem with crime or food related issues. The food has been less than average several times but then again I've had way less than average $100 meals in the states.

Tell your friends to take the reviews on TA with a grain of salt and stop second guessing their trip plans. Some of the reviewers on TA have HAD what they consider a bad first experience then they flame everything from the taxi ride from the airport until they get back to their own bed. If they go looking to have bad experience they will no matter where they stay.

DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY!!!!

#17 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:15 PM

Thanks....I'll pass this on to them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users