The Love Affair Continues.......

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:34 AM

Back from 12 glorious nights and I have to say the island is just as wonderful as ever.  Especially when you see the way Akumal has been ruined and is imploding.  Really makes me appreciate cozumel even more.

#2 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:59 AM

What's up in Akumal? I've heard all sorts of things, frankly none of which sound very good, but it's hard to tell what's real.

#3 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

Riots/protests, it is ugly.

In a nut shell over the last 5 years the land owners and piratas (supposed locals) have run thousands of people through the bay daily.  They are making HUGE money.  The locals are fighting back as are outside interests who also want a piece as well as the local hotel owners who do not want to share this incredibly money making trade with anyone else.

Meanwhile, they have completely trashed the bay, the coral, the town now has barbed wire fences even on the beach.

All parties involved of course say they are the ones trying to "save" the bay.  See Por Esto nad ? sp Navedades for pics.

#4 Hooked on Coz

Hooked on Coz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, Sky Diving, Riding my Fatboy

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:57 PM

So sad..........coming next week to help out a friend and was thinking about a side trip. Pass!  :-(

#5 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:14 AM

It is sad.  I suppose if somebody has never seen the way it was before they would still enjoy.  Good restaurants, beautiful bay, etc.....   However, if you knew it even a few years ago it is truly sad to see.

Profeca has now set up an office (since the riot) and is supposed to hep regulate things, but no action as yet that i have heard about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users