Photo

Working With Telmex Thomson Mediaaccess Tg788Vn V2 (Dsl Modem/router)

Telmex DSL Internet Modem Router Wifi Network LAN NAT Firewall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:42 AM

Who here has personally integrated a Telmex Thomson MediaAccess TG788vn v2 (the current DSL modem/router they hand out) into an existing LAN?

I'm struggling with this. With my Cablemas modem, I was able just to switch on the router, use it as a modem only, and have my own (much better) router handle everything. I liked that. I have a house-wide LAN with multiple powerline ethernet wireless access points that actually allows wifi to work throughout the house and grounds, as well as a number of devices connected to the LAN that I need to be able to access and manage from afar - thermostats, timers, and such.

With the Telmex device I haven't been able to do that. I don't want a double NAT situation. I really prefer to have my own gear manage NAT, DHCP, port forwarding, etc. Right now the only solution I see is to disable most of my own router in order to let the Telmex device manage all that stuff and just use my router as a wireless access point. I don't like that.

I'm also trying to find a way to manage the device from the WAN, and so far all I see is a setting to allow one-time access that expires. I just found what I think is the proper manual that suggests there might be a non-obvious setting that will do what I want, but it also suggests different companies enable or disable different settings.

Port forwarding on this thing seems weird. That's not usually challenging at all, but I haven't been able to get any set up that actually work.

I appreciate that people may have technical experts whom they recommend highly, but I very much want to avoid having someone else do this. In part that's because I need to learn what I've been missing or misunderstanding. In part it's because I always end up needing to go in and manage things so I need to have a full understanding of how things are set up and why.

Any advice from anyone who has done this?

#2 ghanson60

ghanson60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:57 PM

Some experience here with dealing with Telmex. The biggest hurdle I had was finding out what my username and password is for the DSL account. Do a search for the modem you have and see if any discussions about setting it up in bridge mode. If you can get this then your router can handle all the DHCP, routing and firewall duties. In bridge mode your router will handle the logging into the DSL account and setting it up. I use a SonicWALL TZ105 for my firewall/router. Once setup been pretty rock solid, well except for the time Telmex reprogrammed their router back to default so had to reprogram it the next time I was on site. Have not been able to figure out a way to manager via the WAN.

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:55 AM

My DSL username I have (it's this huge random-appearing collection of characters) but password is starred-out. I expect it will be a challenge to get that. How did you manage?

Poring through the manual I have found no way to do much at all with the router portion of the thing other than turn the firewall on or off and some odd-seeming ways of forwarding ports. Posts various places lead me to believe that some pertinent settings aren't accessible via the browser interface and can only be changed by issuing commands via SSH.

The device does seem as if it could be pretty nice if it were someone's sole router (which is probably true nearly all the time) or wanted to use it as their primary router. Wifi on it is not bad.

#4 Jay

Jay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

I think you have to call Telmex and ask them for the un/pw. I want to do what you are doing as well....just haven't had the courage to try calling them. :-)

Jay

#5 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

You certainly don't need to contact Telmex to get the DSL username. It's right there when you access that part of the settings page. The password is encrypted, though.

#6 ghanson60

ghanson60

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

My DSL username I have (it's this huge random-appearing collection of characters) but password is starred-out. I expect it will be a challenge to get that. How did you manage?

Poring through the manual I have found no way to do much at all with the router portion of the thing other than turn the firewall on or off and some odd-seeming ways of forwarding ports. Posts various places lead me to believe that some pertinent settings aren't accessible via the browser interface and can only be changed by issuing commands via SSH.

The device does seem as if it could be pretty nice if it were someone's sole router (which is probably true nearly all the time) or wanted to use it as their primary router. Wifi on it is not bad.

I setup a service call with Telmex and was there when the technician showed up and pretty much had to force him to give it to me. He finally did reluctantly. Should not be a big deal as it is your account but it was. In the states just call and ask they verify your identity and give it to you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Telmex, DSL, Internet, Modem, Router, Wifi, Network, LAN, NAT, Firewall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users