• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kixy1

kixy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

Retirement is approaching so we're running numbers and resetting goals to get to Qroo ASAP :)  You guys have been great with sharing information and advice over the years, and I'm wondering if I can beg a bit (OK, a LOT) more from you...?

1) Do most rentals include water/sewer/garbage or will we be paying those bills?  (I'm aware that we'll need to purchase drinking water)

From owners, what do these costs run? I've seen some posts on water ($20-$40US/month?), but nothing on garbage or sewer.  We're looking at 2 bedroom/2 bath apts and homes.

2) What is the cost of maintaining a fideicomiso?  I've seen anywhere between $500 and $1500US per year....

I've been quoted $1500-2500US  to set up the fideicomiso?

3) Not including eating out does $800US/month sound reasonable for groceries, household supplies and personal needs?

I'm thinking approximately about 2/3 of what it is here.

4) Any suggestions about property management?  We plan to rent our 1st year maybe the 2nd, but IF we buy how much will it cost per month to have someone check on the property, maybe turn on the dehumidifiers for a day, etc.?  We're not interested in renting our property out, but we may spend up to 4 months a year off the island and worry about theft and damage.

5) Car insurance costs?  Not sure if we'll buy a new car here and drive down or buy one there...

Lastly... (until I think of something else!)  My husband is very concerned about TV.  Are there satellite packages that will give him 'American' channels? 

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated and gladly accepted!  

Thanks to all :)

Debra

#2 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:24 AM

Rentals usually include garbage pickup, which is a municipal fee that most property owners pay once a year.

The water/sewer fee is billed monthly by the state -- some rentals include it and others do not. The base fee is approximately $150 pesos per month. A swimming pool or irrigated garden will increase the monthly cost.

The amount of the annual fee for a Fide depends on the value of the trust, among other things. For example, an existing property will rate lower fees than new construction. The fee increases a little each year. The setup fee usually includes the first-year payment.

Monthly cost of living depends on how you live. If you adapt to the climate and lifestyle (and monitor your electricity consumption), you will find that your money goes much, much farther here than where you live now.

I do not know about property management or car ownership.

Considerations worth mentioning are the cultural and language differences between Mexico and your home country, as well as local misconceptions and some ingrained opinions about people who move here from abroad. Though it is really easy for most people to make the leap, some have failed. You will be foreigners here and you should investigate these things to determine if you will be OK with them. 

#3 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:42 AM

1. Garbage is part of the property tax deal.  Cheap.  I think sewer is covered by water?  I dunno. We as an association (condos) buy all the water so I don't see an individual bill.

2. At the current rate of exchange, mine was $454US this year at Scotiabank.  They charge my credit card.

5. I have Axa car insurance through Irma Cantarell.  Costs me about $371US a year on our 09 Dodge Attitude.  On that subject my home owners, that covers contents mostly is $460.  No structure coverage as that is the association.

Lastly, TV: You want to talk to Nemecio   https://www.facebook...nterian?fref=ts The going way of doing it is subscribe to DISH in the US. The deal with dish is MOST of the local channels, ie the networks, ABC CBS NBC are on a spot beam, meaning they are not on the big wide Dish signal you can get everywhere.  So for instance my Harrisburg locals are only able to be picked up in a few hundred miles or something of Harrisburg.  However, a couple areas of the country have their locals on the big beam. Give them an address in a select location in one of these area.  Like you find a big apartment building and use that for a service address, while billing to your real billing address.  Like right now I think you can use NYC and Ft Lauderdale maybe?  You will then get on Coz alot of the regular channels and PLUS the networks from the area you picked.  It isn't perfect but we get a ton of channels some in HD even, just probably not as many as we have in the us.  We have a big dish, but a decent rain storm with block the signal.

And no matter what, I would say get an attorney to look over everything before you sign anything. Gisela http://cozumellawyer.com/did all my real estate work.  She is sharp and covers the bases. (of course I got her late in the process which was my mistake!  But she fixed everything up that needed fixed.)

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#4 jenster101

jenster101

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:14 PM

We are in the process of accelerating our retirement as well :).

1) Do most rentals include water/sewer/garbage or will we be paying those bills?  (I'm aware that we'll need to purchase drinking water)

From owners, what do these costs run? I've seen some posts on water ($20-$40US/month?), but nothing on garbage or sewer.  We're looking at 2 bedroom/2 bath apts and homes.

RESPONSE: Yes, most rentals include water/sewer/garbage in the rent. The costs for an owner are approximately $10/month for water and $30/year for garbage.

2) What is the cost of maintaining a fideicomiso?  I've seen anywhere between $500 and $1500US per year....

I've been quoted $1500-2500US  to set up the fideicomiso?

RESPONSE: That is a fair price for a fide setup....ours was more than that. The annual fee for our fide is about $500/year....but that can vary greatly depending on the bank.

3) Not including eating out does $800US/month sound reasonable for groceries, household supplies and personal needs?

I'm thinking approximately about 2/3 of what it is here.

RESPONSE: $800/month should be enough for two people as long as you plan to eat at home.

4) Any suggestions about property management?  We plan to rent our 1st year maybe the 2nd, but IF we buy how much will it cost per month to have someone check on the property, maybe turn on the dehumidifiers for a day, etc.?  We're not interested in renting our property out, but we may spend up to 4 months a year off the island and worry about theft and damage.

RESPONSE: We pay $1600/month (pesos) to have someone take care of our pool & garden (we supply the chemicals). If you want someone just to walk through the house and check on things, you should expect to pay about $75/month.

5) Car insurance costs?  Not sure if we'll buy a new car here and drive down or buy one there...

RESPIONSE: We get our insurance through Desire Sanroman and pay $3400/yr (pesos) for our 2003 VW Beetle. She is EXCELLENT and always delivers our policy to our house and communicates via email.

Lastly... (until I think of something else!)  My husband is very concerned about TV.  Are there satellite packages that will give him 'American' channels? 

RESPONSE: We used to bring our DISH receiver from the US to Cozumel....but that was several years ago. We now have cable and internet in CZM and access US channels via a Slingbox

#5 kixy1

kixy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:12 PM

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful.  I'd love to meet you all one of these trips.  Drinks on me!  

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:34 AM

Ok, you hooked me in.....    :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#7 kixy1

kixy1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:12 PM

I was counting on it Chief!   I've managed to miss you guys every single trip the last few years and I have yet to get out to El Moro! WHA you say?!   I keep hoping to crash one of your group dinners LOL  

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:49 AM

We will keep waiting on you!

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe