• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GDSmith

GDSmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 10:06 AM

Coming for two months in January and need to ship some coconut milk ahead.

If we ship direct from Amazon, are we better to ship, C/O our apartment owner or to a FedEx office?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Have you experienced delays via Amazon?

Thanks,

Greg

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:00 AM

From reading others comments in the past day or so on another local site, it appears that getting items delivered to your residence is not an issue.  

One caveat to that is, they can come at any time during the day,

One person I know had a delivery at 10 pm,

If that is the case, you would be waiting all day, and into the night for a delivery.  Picking it up at the office would be in your control.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 GDSmith

GDSmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:33 AM

Is there one carrier that is used and where is the office located?

Is shipping time about the same as in US?

#4 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:49 AM

DHL is very reliable. But why do you want to ship coconut milk to a place where fresh coconuts are free for the asking?!

#5 GDSmith

GDSmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:44 AM

Good question.

Throat cancer last year, which has left me with swallow  issues, meat and bread are difficult.

The coconut milk is high in calories, which helps me maintain my weight.

I use a lot of the milk, up to two cups a day.

Is there a reliable source on the island for coconut milk, that I don't have to chop the coconuts?

Where is the DHL office?

Thanks for your help.

#6 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

I see coconut milk in the grocery stores all the time.

If you need a reliable, large supply you can either have the manager of a large grocery store order you several cases or go to PACSA Deli and have them get you some.

Don't forget that food items, even canned, get a lot of scrutiny (from every country) when being imported and that can cause additional delays. It's usually best to buy items that have already been imported.

#7 DebB

DebB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:34 AM

Please folks confirm availability of coconut milk in the supermarkets or specialty shops. I have purchased commonly available sweet coconut cream and coconut water. The milk is a different product, usually canned or boxed, that I have never sought out.

#8 GDSmith

GDSmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:56 AM

I'm looking for 100% coconut milk in cans with no additives.  The calorie count is about 440 per cup.

With my swallow and weight issues, the milk helps me keep my weight up, and making smoothies with it

allow shorter eating time, compared to regular food.  Just trying to be proactive.

I appreciate everyone's help, thanks.

#9 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:15 AM

I commonly see the same brand of canned Thai coconut milk that I buy in the US, most frequently at Mega.

As with every other commodity, they have it when it's in stock and don't have it when they're out.

PACSADeli has a website and supplies restaurants. Why not contact them and see if they can get several cases for you prior to your arrival? The Cozumel phone number is +52 (987) 869-1935 and their email is ventas.cozumel@pacsadeli.com.mx.

There are several people on the island making and selling organic coconut oil. Fresh coconut milk is quite perishable, so I doubt they usually offer it for sale, but with access to the equipment needed for making oil it should be easy to make milk. It's possible that if they have a reliable customer they may be willing to make it for standing orders. In parts of the world where coconut milk is part of the cuisine, it's often made at home. I'd check on the Facebook group Cozumel 4 You for starters since I've seen several discussions there about local coconut products.

#10 la vie est belle a cozumel

la vie est belle a cozumel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:27 PM

making coconut milk is very easy if you go on you tube you will get great tutorial to do so as long as you have a supply of coconuts

the coconut water is also very good to keep weight on and in Cozumel we can find it at several places fresh every day

also I have seen the organic coconut milk at the mega as well as chedrahui

the mega is caring more and more organic vegan foods

good luck with your recovery

Annais

#11 GDSmith

GDSmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

Thank you for your help.

Greg