• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

Just wondering if having Global Entry card will get us thru COZ airport immigration any faster.

Just got them and this will be our first trip to try it out.

Thanks

#2 El Graduado

El Graduado

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

Nope.  Only works in the US.  Nice try, though!

#3 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

Global Entry is specifically a program for entering the United States.

Your card won't get you through anything faster, in any case. Even for the US, the card doesn't serve any purpose. Only your registered passport works. I have no idea why they even issue a card.

However, Mexico has a similar program called Viajero Confiable for which Mexican citizenship or US citizenship and membership in Global Entry is a prerequisite. Even Canadians or others (Germans, Koreans, etc.) with Global Entry do not qualify.

The program works (in a manner of speaking) only at the Mexico DF, Los Cabos, and Cancún airports. My son is a member. The kiosks at CUN have never worked when he's entered through there.

I suppose it's possible it might eventually work at CZM, but I doubt that would happen any time soon.

#4 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:27 AM

Yea, we signed up for Viajero Confiable.  Took like 3.5-4 hours to get through the interview and equipment issues in Cancun immigration.  Then the kiosk were never working.  We did get told to use the Mexicano line instead, which was shorter, of course that was one guy, so maybe the next guy would not have approved of that.  Now we have PR cards, so the VC was a waste for us I guess.

As for the MX line, anyone get away with using that while holding a PR card.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#5 divern2h20

divern2h20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:47 PM

Chief, I troll around here and SB and wondered if your going to be down for Carnival.

Wife and I trying out February for our first month long visit. Ready to start meeting some folks.

#6 VideoVern

VideoVern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:09 AM

Divern2h20 - Try to get reservations at the Museum for the parade.  We did that a couple of years ago and had a great time.  You are up above the crowds and have a great view.  The buffet was pretty good and you didn't have to walk anywhere to get your drink refilled.

Vern

VideoVern (aka: Skip)

"Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

#7 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

Im down for a meeting next week, but then maybe not till May.

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

#8 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

As for the MX line, anyone get away with using that while holding a PR card.

Tracy has been directed into the Ciudadanos line at CZM a couple of times. I've been explicitly told by airport personnel several times that I'm not allowed to use it. They once sent my dad in a wheelchair through the Ciudadanos line and made me go through the Extranjeros line when our flight was delayed and landed right after 2 others, so he sat in the baggage claim area for an hour and a half waiting for me.

I've asked at the INM office and variously been told that I'm supposed to use the Ciudadanos line, forbidden to use it, and entitled to use it if I wish. So there's your definitive answer.

#9 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:19 AM

Since  ciudadanos means one thing..............citizens, I don't see how that can be confusing. Temp and perm residents are not citizens.  On the other hand, since they know me, many times they let me pass through that line, but that is up to them and I would not try to use that line without them advising me to do so. If the people at the airport invite visitors to use the Mex line, for heavy traffic, that is up to them. They were offering your dad a pleasant courtesy, due to his condition. Good for them. I see that as a good thing. Don't see the problem. They felt your dad needed help, not having to wait and deal with the crowded line, that often leaves people standing in the sun. Obviously, you are healthy enough to go through the assigned line. As we all know, it takes forever for the luggage to come out, so one way or the other, unless you have carry-on only, you will probably be waiting, no matter which line you use. I am often the first one to the baggage area, only to wait for luggage.

Cozumel Diving

#10 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:12 PM

CZMDM, I expressed no confusion. In responding to cvchief's question "As for the MX line, anyone get away with using that while holding a PR card", I merely pointed out a lack of consistency. I don't think he was expressing any confusion either, since as your own post makes clear it's well-known that the citizens line is not in practice limited to citizens.

Leaving my elderly, anxious dad to sit to wait alone for over an hour and a half wasn't as big a courtesy as it might superficially seem. 

#11 MikeJ

MikeJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:scuba diving
    work
    Cozumel

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:54 AM

Not being a citizen of Mexico or knowledgeable of the Spanish language it seems to me that ciudadanos could be interpreted as citizen of Mexico or as a resident of San Miguel, Cozumel.  If I were trying to argue for a particular line.  Me, I just go where the nice lady tells me to go, be it Cozumel or Atlanta Hartsfield.

xxxooo

Michael

#12 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:08 AM

Exactly.  I have spent enough time in Mexico to understand things don't always mean what they seem to mean.  

As I said, I was told to use the Mexicano line since the VC kiosks were not working.  Then on one occasion they asked to see my VC card.  It took me 5 minutes on my phone to look up the VC website on my phone and show him that it specifically said no card.

Anyway, coming in has been pretty easy.  I catch the non-stop to Cancun and try to get in before lunch time.  Often there is hardly anyone there and we fly through.  I think the rest of the world arrives around 2.   :P

El Jefe

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users