• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:08 PM

Saw an article in the Detroit Free Press today and I had never heard of Isla Holbox. What an odd name to begin with and I was wondering if anyone has been there? It is located at the very tip of the Yucatan Pens. and seems to have a low key vibe.

#2 crunch

crunch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, dogs, margaritas, beaches, reading, working out, chilling.

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

I just cant handle the long trip out there for my short trip of 1 week in November and cannot give up Coz for my longer trip in May.

#3 TheOptimist

TheOptimist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:02 PM

The diving and snorkeling is supposed to be very good. They mentioned see whale sharks.

#4 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:44 PM

We took a small plane from Coz to Holbox to snorkel with whale sharks. The water is cloudier and greener than the WS trip we took to Isla Mujeres. It's very laid-back as I recall. We basically flew in, boated, snorkeled, and flew back.

#5 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

I went there several years ago to swim with the Whale Sharks. From the Cancun bus station it's an early and long bus ride to Chiquila. Then one takes a small boat to Holbox. It may have changed but when I was there it was small, with sand streets - no cars only bicycles, golf carts and the occasional scooter. It's on the gulf side, so the water is not the clear Caribbean, hence the Whale Sharks (aka Dominos) are harder to see in the water. Not as many tourists as Isla Mujeres for this activity... it's a trade-off. I spent 1 day getting there, 1 day on the excursion and then left the next day. I'm glad to have the experience, but not sure I'd go again.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#6 Astoria Fiero

Astoria Fiero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Travel, automobile hobby- restoration, and collection.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

We went to Holbox several years ago. No whale sharks at the time, but guessing that is the main attraction. We drove from Playa del Carmen in a rental car. Left the car at a small parking lot and took the ferry across to the island. We stayed in a small hotel right in the town square. It was a great experience and would likely do it again. I have since read a few articles about proposed developments and so on. I actually liked the sand streets and walkability of the area and the quaintness of it all. One of the memories is watching a big tanker/sewer pump truck,  pump the water from the low spots in the sand streets. Seemed like a novel approach to keeping the streets clear of deep puddles, but worked for them. Add it to your Yucatan experience is all I can say. The water is definitely different than the blue waters we know around Cozumel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users