• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cliff

Cliff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

I am playing around with the idea of shipping an ATV to Cozumel. Anybody know someone that has done this? Any issues with customs or anything? Will it need to be registered if I want to drive it on the street? thoughts? advice? Thanks in advance!

#2 John Matt

John Matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Living in paradise!

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

HI Cliff, What is your status? Temp Res or??? I use Hyde Shipping oit of Ft Lauderdale, they're pretty good.

#3 Cliff

Cliff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

We spend about 8 weeks every year. We have a place we can store an atv. Just not sure about the import rules and stuff.

#4 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

I'm really not sure of the rules concerning importing an ATV. For cars and trucks there are detailed regulations about nationalizing the vehicle that can add significant expense or make it impossible to register.

People do ride quad bikes, ATV's, and UTV's on the street. Assuming the vehicle has been properly imported, the only issue with getting Cozumel license plates would be that one normally needs a CURP for this. A local attorney, Gisela Rodriguez, has successfully registered a car for someone on the island without a residency status, but I wouldn't count on being able to do that without a lawyer.

For people with tourist immigration status ("visa"), you can use your motor vehicle with registration from your home country. Many people do this long after the registration back home has lapsed. The Temporary Importation Permit ("TIP") expires when the immigration status expires. That's a maximum of 6 months if you remain in Mexico, or the minute you leave the country, whichever is sooner. People who stay in Mexico long-term with tourist status leave the country every 6 months to renew their status, and if they have a car registered outside Mexico have to renew the TIP. That can only be done while entering the country (not within it). Lots of people drive to Belize, which is the nearest border, to take care of both. I have no clue what people with motorcycles do, but I know there are people with bikes registered in the US or Canada.

#5 Cliff

Cliff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the info. :)

#6 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

Mark, 

Isn't Coz a 'free zone'?  There is someway to get rid of the tip while you are in Coz, I believe.  Then you have to get one if you leave QR, I think.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

#7 mstevens

mstevens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 852 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Ducatis, Dorkdom

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:30 PM

Isn't Coz a 'free zone'?  There is someway to get rid of the tip while you are in Coz, I believe.  Then you have to get one if you leave QR, I think.

That's entirely possible. I still think one has to get the original TIP at a border, though.

#8 cvchief

cvchief

Professional Amateur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Location:Pennsylvania mostly, though Coz as much as possible

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

Yea, I think you have to get it at the border coming in that way, but then can turn it in and get the money back in QR.

El Jefe

Wishing I was retiring to Cozumel.....

Casa De Jefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users