41 replies to this topic

#1 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

I am hoping since I am not a local or live in Cozumel this post will not be deleted. I went on to Sherri's site a few minutes ago and was appalled to learn that she has been jailed. I understand the circumstances of those of you that live on the island and the repercussions you face by speaking up. There has to be some way we can all help her. I admire her courage and she should not be forced out by such a travesty just because she does not want to sell her land. I have pasted her posting below.

A Personal Note from Sherri "A Story to Tell"
I have recently been put in jail myself and have a different story to tell. I cannot tell it at this moment from where I am, but as soon as I am in a position to tell it I will.

This time Mauricio and I have been charged with the Federal crime of "destroying the environment". The people who filed these charges against us and who are directly responsible for putting us both in jail are :Comer Realty (Bruce Comer; who also owns Money Bar) and thier attorney Javier Villalobos.

Thank you for thinking of us at this time.

#2 straightup1

straightup1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

68 views and total silence wow!!. where is Sherri at this time anyone know?

#3 MexFan2

MexFan2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

I think everyone is very , very afraid.

#4 straightup1

straightup1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

I wont be patonizing that establishment anytime soon bad business!!. Friends of Sherri Davis speak up if anyone knows where exactly she is please tell me I have friends that can help they just need to know where she is.

#5 MexFan2

MexFan2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

You might send a message on the Cozumelinsider site. I am sure someone must be monitoring the messages there.

#6 MexFan2

MexFan2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:43 PM

This article from todays Quequi would seem to indicate Cancun:
http://www.quequi.co...p?a=110401&z=39

#7 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

I used Google Translator, here it is:
Captured two ecocidal
Thursday, June 03, 2010 - By Genny Martin Rivero Quequi Quintana Roo

By Genny Martin Rivero Quequi Quintana Roo

Authorities Attorney General of RepublicAlthough slow, but sure, because after two years of research by the devastation from an average of 7 thousand square meters chit palm (plant protected) meet arrest warrant by elements of Agency Ministerial of FederationAgainst the alleged biologist Mauricio Avilez Mendoza and foreign Sherri Davis Norvel 89/2010 under preliminary investigation for environmental crimes.

In an interview with the lawyer of the Yucatan companies and foreign investors, eat Ments Best Realty and Fractionation in Esmeralda Mar, respectively, in Cozumel, Javier Villalobos Castañeda stated that legal process started in June 2008 when they discovered that the biologist Mauricio Avilez Mendoza Norvel the foreign Sherri Davis, had devastated an area of about 7 thousand square meters of palm chit of a property located in the South CoastIn front of the restaurant Bar Money

He said the firm intention of cutting down the palms is a protected species by the environmental authorities, was to obtain a four-hectare site that is not their property and were going to fight through a civil suit for accreditation, but because they have owned and registered in the state and municipal land, they rose and began a claim investigation.

Federal authorities said that after the integration of the file, conducted the survey, and although it was slow Tuesday afternoon met with federal agents 089/2010 warrant against Mauricio Avilez Mendoza said biologist who Norvel and Sherri Davis for crimes against health, and both were taken to the Criminal Court of the city of Cancun, where they continue their legal process.

#8 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

Thank you dawnb for translating. This whole situation makes me so sad. I feel for all the good people living in fear on the island I so dearly love. This is not a good thing for tourism as people are already afraid of traveling to Mexico due to drug wars and corruption. I can't tell you how many people I have assured that Cozumel was safe and the biggest worry they would have is watching the gas station attendants. I really wanted to retire in Cozumel but now I fear the same thing that happened to Sherri could happen to me. I understand the Money Bar owner is American as well, he just has the money to buy the right people off?

#9 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:48 PM

Unfortunately, there is greed and corruption everywhere, worldwide. Check out the Illinois governors. We have more crime in small US towns than anywhere in Cozumel.

Prayers for Sherri.

#10 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:11 PM

Dawnb I agree there is corruption everywhere, But silence will not fix the problem. It has to be addressed by the power of people putting fears aside and joining forces. It is very easy to ignore or sweep a few people under the rug compared to a mass number. I understand people's fear and don't blame them but how will anything ever change if it continues. My heart and prayers go out to Sherry.

#11 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:31 AM

Quote from Robert (MexFan2) who keeps having his own posts deleted from his beloved Trip Advisor:

"Thanks to Tony for having the courage and integrity to voice his support. Wish I could say the same for all local forums. In one well known local forum the web mistress and her regulars are in hiding regarding this issue."

Yeah Robert, (MexFan2)we're in hiding, we're afraid to discuss the issues. Stick to the Trip Advisor where you are the Destination Expert and TA keeps locking and deleting posts regarding Sherri as fast as they can be posted.

I knew Sherri was out on a limb when she made the public postings that she did. I am not sure of her legal status with immigration, whether she is nationalized or not. I made the decision that Cozumel was not worth the aggravation of attempting to do business almost ten years ago. I can't count the people that enjoyed success and gave up viable businesses for simply not worth the aggravation.

Personally, I have been boycotting the Money Bar since it opened.

Robert who was banned previously here for his lack of respect shown has been allowed to post under MexFan2 for sometime now, if he bashes this forum and continues to insult participants here, well. we'll let Carey decide how she wishes to deal with the situation.

Be brave Robert. March down to the INM office and voice your outrage that a fellow ex-pat is on the receiving end of a situation that is far too often common. March over to the Palacio and voice your concerns that Jim gets all his local permits required.

One more clueless hypocrite..... Freedom of speech barely exists for Mexicans, it does not extend to foreigners, period.

Side note:
Count 'em, MexFan2 has made 20 posts in over three years and 17 were insulting to Carey and or me and all were bashing this forum.

#12 straightup1

straightup1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:30 AM

I have no idea why you are attacking MexFan2 he only voiced the obvious and was one of the few to even address this issue whatever personal issue you have please dont distract from the topic. For those who can, please show support for Sherri

#13 MexFan2

MexFan2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:57 AM

I have no idea why Charles chose the personal attack on me on this forum. He has his facts wrong regarding me. I have read the posts on the other forums also and know everyone has a different way of handling things. But I see no reason for the personal attacks here or on any forum.

#14 straightup1

straightup1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

I hear Sherri is released good news

#15 MexFan2

MexFan2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

I agree. I have no idea why Charles would launch an attack on me on these forums or why he would be allowed to do it. He has falsely accused me here and I hope in fairness it will be deleted.

#16 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

I agree. I have no idea why Charles would launch an attack on me on these forums or why he would be allowed to do it. He has falsely accused me here and I hope in fairness it will be deleted.

I think you have a very good idea as to why Charles would criticize you, Robert. I don't read other Cozumel talk forums but people send me things. And you do have what is from my point of view of course,a bad habit of posting rather nasty and personal things about me and Charles, the other moderator of these boards, on other forums.

You were banned once for this practice. I saw you come back on under another name and allowed you to stay as long as you followed the rules here. You have been good and I'm going to forgive your insinuations elsewhere on the internet that I'm a gutless coward for not banging the drum loudly for Sherri Davis To say something like that shows you don't understand at all the reality of being a foreigner in Cozumel.

I'm letting you off this time. But kindly don't protest how unfairly you've been criticized by Charles. I edited some of his more lethal comments but let others stand because, I happen to agree with them.

I'm on vacation in SF or would have seen this sooner. But now that I have, I would like to express my sympathy for Sherri Davis at the same time that I must firmly stay out of local politics and keep this website from same. Otherwise I could be the next one they put in jail. As I was once told by the airport van union rep in an anonymous email after I allowed a post on how people could walk off airport grounds and get a taxi:

"We know who you are and we know where you live."

So if the unions know about me, I'm sure the gov'ment does too.

#17 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

I have got to say, I have seen some stupid cr*p in my life, but I swear, nothing like the comments that are being made on other forums, and from the usually Pavlov experiments...hear the name(s) start the rant...

Two reasons that I choose NOT to post:
1. There is Her side, His side, and the TRUTH. I am willing to wait for the TRUTH.
2. Why would I want to put Sherri, or anyone else in harms way by yelling BOYCOTT, WRITE DISGUSTING EMAILS, CALLING THEM....isn't that the same thing as given them the bullets to shoot her with?

As for Sherri: There is a thing called "Unintended Consequences".

Sherri could find herself in a lot more trouble then she expected. Which I think she has enough on her plate right now.

They, the owners of the Money Bar could file charges on her for causing harm to the owners by inciting others to harass, and encourage people to boycott their business.

That is the "Unintended Consequences" her message may have caused. I do not think that she did intend for people to react the way they did, but a lawyer could make a case that she should have/could have predicted the outcome.

I really do wish her the best possible outcome in this long running battle.

I would strongly suggest that those who don't understand, get a clue real fast. You are NOT helping this person who you claim you want to protect.

I drove by her place today, it is up and running and the tourist are there.

As for the idiotic statement "And since when has "destroying the environment" bothered the Cozumel government?" not only don't you know...you don't have a clue.

I am frankly FEED UP with the BS that is being thrown around.

What to heck is wrong with this Foreign Community?

Why all the animosity?

Shouldn't we all stick together, and not be in constant battle.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#18 straightup1

straightup1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

Thank god for the Sherri's of the world no doubt she has bitten off more than she can chew (for now) but I take my hat off to her for fighting even knowing the "consequesces" as coz2 whatever says that is how the free world prevailes.

#19 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

Thank goodness a voice of reason (thank you Deb) prevailed on TA, and they deleted everything.

I was waiting to hear "Igor light the torches, we need to kill the monster"

I don't make light of what Sherri is going through, but the reaction was so far over the top that it still baffles me.

It is also my belief that few, if any of us will ever experience anything like what has been described.

I do wish them all the best outcome...and that civility replaces anger.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#20 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

While it may be good to not get "emotional", it is never good to stay silent if someone is being railroaded. I would like to keep hearing the facts and progress of this case. The powers-that-be need to know the world is watching.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users