41 replies to this topic

#21 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

While it may be good to not get "emotional", it is never good to stay silent if someone is being railroaded. I would like to keep hearing the facts and progress of this case. The powers-that-be need to know the world is watching.

Were I in my own country with the rights and privleges that are accorded to me as a citizen, I couldn't agree with your sentiments more. But I and many others who post in the Local Talk forum are merely long-term guests in Mexico. We are strictly forbidden from getting involved in anything that could possibly be construed as political. And after reading some of Sherri's fascinating and horrifying messages out from wherever she is holing up, I would definitely say that, if her problems didn't start out as political, they most certainly are now.

It's hard for a US citizen to understand that it really, truly is possible to be thrown out of the country on 6 hours notice. They call it "the next fly out". If you make trouble for the gov'ment in any way shape or form, if you displease them in any way shape or form. Adios and you can't come back. And complaining about your unfair treatment when you get back 'home' in the states will get you nowhere. You broke Mexican laws. They throw you out. It's as simple as that.

Sherri's internet campaign may well have the effect of hurting business at the Money Bar if tourists read this stuff and decide to vote with their feet. It will be interesting to see how that plays out. Her public protests may have some short term effect. But over time people will forget about it.

It appears Sherri Davis is in an absolutely dreadful position. If only an Angel Mediator could come wafting down from on high and settle things amicably for all parties concerned Cozumel and the world would be a better place. But, of course, that's not going to happen. And it sure doesn't sound good for Sherri at this point.

#22 lexicon

lexicon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, walking, pets and all animal life, beaches. lots of sun, good Mexican food.

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

My husband and I were planning on retiring to Cozumel. But after this incident, we are really going to have to think this over once again. This whole thing scares us. The unscrupulous activities have definitely muddied Cozumel.

#23 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

I agree with ccannon. My heart goes out to Sherri and I don't think being emotional and suggesting uncivil actions is the answer, silence is not the answer either. I admire Sherri for taking a stand and fighting for whats right. I know if I were in her position I would go down fighting as well. Nobody deserves to have there dreams destroyed. Sherri has always had the best interests of Cozumel and it's wonderful people at the top of her list. Can we say that about the establishment in question that has been trying to drive her out for the last few years? I understand she has been forced to say things that are crossing the line as far as Mexican laws and calling out the corruption of the government but put yourself in her shoes. What would you do? Rollover and give up your hopes and dreams to walk away with a pittance of what your property is worth? There has to be a way to politely help her. I hope I have not offended anyone because that has never been my intention. I love Cozumel and this whole thing just sickens me.

#24 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

Welcome to reality, it is a complex situation and it seems that none of the long time locals feel that Sherri's tactics are a wise move for anyone, least of all to help her cause.

In Sherri's latest message posted:

"In 1998, Empresas IslaMar acquired a property in Cozumel located at Km. 6.82 on the Southern Coastal Highway, which is where I have my personal residence and operate PalMar Estate Beach Club & Butterfly Sanctuary. At that time, I had a neighboring house to the south and nothing but jungle on the other 3 sides of my property. Since I was hopeful of expanding the beach club some day, my staff and I began taking care of the jungle area all around us as if it were ours. No one ever objected to our activities, and our attempts to locate a rightful owner in an effort to purchase this land always yielded inconclusive results as no title documents were ever shown to me that would support an authentic ownership claim to the land.

Ten years later, in 2008, I (Empresas IslaMar) applied to the local Civil court to be awarded lawful possession of the jungle adjacent to my beach club at Km 6.82. After reviewing the evidence and hearing witness testimony, the Civil judge declared Empreasas IslaMar as the legitímate possessor of the land. We then submitted the judge’s ruling legitimizing our possession claim to the Public Registry office (the local land title authority) for review and registration. The Public Registry found no problems/conflicts and duly registered our possession claim as required by Civil law in Quintana Roo".

There is a lot more to the case than meets the casual eye. ...."my staff and I began taking care of the jungle area all around us as if it were ours".... I have to question whether Sherri has received the best legal advice and if all of this took into account just what could well happen in the future.

My opinion that seems to be shared by many, Sherri's suggestions are only going to harden the resistance. We are not talking about how things might be done in a perfect world, but legalities and actions that may make you an open target. Quite obviously, the other side has if not better, far more effective legal council.

#25 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

My husband and I were planning on retiring to Cozumel. But after this incident, we are really going to have to think this over once again. This whole thing scares us. The unscrupulous activities have definitely muddied Cozumel.

Retirees will have no problems whatsoever. This is a very complex case involving a section of extremely prime waterfront real estate. It is also two BUSINESSES going at each other. If you are a retiree, read don't have a local business of any sort, you have nothing to fear. Just stick to the strict limits of the law and you will be very far under the radar. Many US citizens like me live here and own property here and have done for years without any problems whatsoever.

But this is certainly a reality check for some, I imagine. Mexico and the US are close trading partners and have a fairly warm, mutual diplomatic relationship all told. However, the bottom line is, it's still a different country with different laws..

#26 DaveSI

DaveSI

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

I'll just chime in with my own unwanted 2 pesos from afar: it seems like she's a lovely woman in a terrible predicament but sometimes the best way to help is to step aside and let the situation play out on its own. I'd be afraid of making it worse for someone.

#27 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

I have read, cover to cover everything that Sherri has written to date.

You can NOT go on anyone lands, use it, clear/clean it, because you MIGHT want to buy it.

Is that the clearing she has been charged with? But, as she stated, that was years prior, and the Money Bar and owners did not come into the picture until about Sept 2006.

As for the transformer...once you buy it, it probably belongs to the power company. They do all repairs, and maintenance of the equipment.

Underground power lines, GREAT IDEA. What's the problem?

Walking on the beach and getting arrested...NEVER, NADA...FUD FACTOR.

To ASK people to get involved by sending emails, phone calls, and boycotts of a legitimate business...FOOLISH. Where to hell is her lawyer?

I'd like to know who her lawyer is...

Cozumel is a wonderful place...PERIOD.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#28 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

Sounds like her lawyer is still in the hospital or else cringing with fear that he might get beat up again. Lordy! You know I always call this place a crazy little pirate island and here is yet another grand example in full swing. It's certainly not a boring place to live. Ya gotta give it that.

#29 chiro

chiro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

I read these post with interest because I have been coming to Cozumel for the past 30 years. I hope Sherri's problem works out for her. The thing that made me post a reply is the same thing that has bothered me many times when I bring people to Cozumel. They start saying what they would change about it or how they can make it better. That is not why many us of love this island. We like the way of life and the culture. We understand how the system works and that is what makes it such a break from what we have everyday in the states. We know how we fit in the great scheme of things and we are satisfied with our place. I have to wonder how many of the people so ready to jump into the politics of Cozumel even know who their congressman is at home.

#30 Cozucat

Cozucat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

A couple of observations.

Cookielady, barefoot and straightup1 who have very few posts are attempting to manipulate people especially outsiders with their constant posting of just one side of the story. They are doing this on several websites. In the "sherri update" Cookielady seems to be so naive as to leave the letter in tact and you can see where cookielady is being urged to use the internet against her friends enemies.

When the letter slamming the local government came out almost two weeks ago you could hear a collective "Holy sh*t" ringing through the island as this may have been the single most self-destructive act ever performed in public by an ex-pat. Only somebody from the outside would not understand the significance of that thing.

The second letter slamming Villalobos and Del Corno was insane to publish. Nobody on the forums knows what happened, but to slam two well known men on the island, one being a highly regarded builder and the other a highly regarded lawyer was the second most insane thing ever published. Just like in the United States to slur somebody without proof and before going in front of a judge is just a total mistake and could prove fatal to any lawsuit. So because an unknown poster writes terrible things about a couple of guys why would anybody just accept their side of it when no other facts are known?

Everybody keeps talking about why the locals don't stand up and fight for another ex-pat. Some say it's because everybody is scared. A more realistic take on it would be that about 1/3 of the people care but cannot help, about 1/3 could care less and 1/3 are probably glad it happened.

Not a good idea to take a civil matter and make it a political one. More so that those ALLOWED to live here are not allowed to make political statements in public and especially on a website. The 3 people making these posts could not do their friend much more harm if they were her worst enemies.

#31 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

interesting that you say that Carey.

From the text that I read, Sherri said "I received the call advising me of these events. We left immediately to go to the hospital to check the condition of our attorney"

Sherri never said who called her, nor did she confirm that infact, this event took place. She did imply in previous statement that a ruse was used to get her out of her house. Was that the ruse? "Your lawyer has been beaten up, come to the hospital"?

If that is the case...charges would have/should have been filed against the attacker.

Unlike a Jury hearing a case in NA court system, (where all evidence must be presented to conclude guilt or innocents)So, far we have heard, and read one side.

We have heard, and read evidence that have lead up to a really horrible event (being arrest, and carted off to jail)and I am sure Sherri has more to say.

But, before anybody jumps to conclusions, or TAKES ACTION that Cozumel is evil, and that we should all boycott a legitimate Mexican Business , don't you think it is prudent to hear ALL of the facts before you write this place off?

I truly wish both sides had a Mediator who could MANAGE this to a positive outcome for all parties.

Let me just add, it is not that I disbelieve anything Sherri has stated.

However, I also believe in being OBJECTIVE.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#32 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:11 AM

Compliments on a very good post, Cozucat.

#33 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

From Sherri's website: ...... "filled with one-of-a-kind experiences and adventures that include the tradition of the island and the culture of its people. The information on this site was compiled by folks who actually live here and want to make your vacation truly special by sharing what they have learned over the years. Because the island continues to grow and change, the COZUMELINSIDER is constantly adding additional features and tips, always striving to give you the most up to date information and the best values our island has to offer".

On her latest, updated today June 9th, she adds the governor Felix Gonzales whose administration changed the law of trespass in 2008 to rank it with the same category as murder allowing NO BAIL! You're are now allowed to legally walk along the 50 centimeter strip of beach between hi and low tides.

Could the president be behind all this? And the president of which country? Should people be directing their messages to the United Nation's Secretary General or perhaps NASA? Could this whole affair be orchestrated by space aliens? When clearing land and taking care of it as if her own, did she disturb a colony of Aluxes, Mayan leprechauns? I can personally empathize with Sherri's predicament, God knows I have enough personal experiences and thousands of pages of court records that document my adventures, but I have a few questions.

Just who is has been directing her legal affairs, just what advice are they giving AND is she following this advice?

Are these posts attributed to Sherri actually from her own finger tips?

I am not an attorney, least of all a Mexican attorney, but I have enough paralegal experience that I feel confident in offering two words of sound legal advice suitable in almost any situation under most legal systems, DUCT TAPE! Small four inch strips applied to the mouth and longer strips binding finger tips will provide some immediate improvement to her rapidly dwindling possibility of legal recourse.

Sherri's campaign, if indeed her website hasn't been taken over by her opposition, space aliens or a renegade band of Aluxes, seems like a step by step guide of exactly what one should not do in such a predicament.

I wouldn't wish on anyone what Sherri is going through, but surely after 16 years of living as an "immigrant" (her word) she should have gained a better knowledge of just how things work and the best way to win friends and not make enemies. I have seen numerous posts from a diverse group of people with long experience on the island and it seems near universal opinion that this has all been not a good plan and strategy. If I had legal representation that consistently lost all cases so far, I might have suggested a change in her legal team.

#34 ScubaMare

ScubaMare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:21 AM

Wow, you really do empathize, don't you? "Should people be directing their messages to the United Nation's Secretary General or perhaps NASA? Could this whole affair be orchestrated by space aliens? When clearing land and taking care of it as if her own, did she disturb a colony of Aluxes, Mayan leprechauns?"

Could it be that after fighting this alone for the last several years, being harassed and unable to live in her home in peace, being threatened with jail, having her evidence of property ownership accepted and then ignored, having her attorney beaten up, being abducted, arrested and jailed and now threatened with arrest on charges that don't allow bail, maybe, just maybe, she's lost everything and is desperate enough to finally tell her story and ask for help? God help us all if when we find ourselves in a very difficult, stressful situation and we speak and act out of fear and desperation we find that our friends not only turn their backs on us but mock us as well.

#35 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

My husband and I are now in the process of moving to Cozumel permanently. I have reserved comment on this and the other thread so far.

I absolutely sympathize with Sherri's situation, and can only begin to imagine what she is going through. That said, I'm not sure how many of those who are posting in her defense live on the island or even in Mexico, but here's my thought. It's Mexico! It is not the United States. The rules and laws of the US mean nothing and cannot be applied here. You play by the laws of the country you live in or you suffer the consequences of breaking the law in the country you live in. Foreigners can't own property on Cozumel, at least not the way we know it in the US. They can't vote. They can't protest. Pretty straightforward.

Yes, there's corruption in Mexico. But, I've got news... there seems to be just as much here in the good old US of A lately! I can't begin to explain or rationalize half of the things going on in the US lately, so I'm sure not going to try to explain what's happening in Mexico. It is what it is, and as foreigners we can either play by the rules and stay under the radar to enjoy the life we love, or we can leave.

Sorry, but this all seems pretty simple to me. I remember years ago leaving Cozumel and going through that final bag check at the gate to get on the plain. After 3 previous searches, this security guard decided I couldn't take my hair pick on the plane. I started to pitch a fit and my husband stopped me reminding me of just what could happen. I shut up and got on the plane AND was able to come back many more times.

I don't know Sherri at all. However, even if I were a friend, I'm afraid I'd have to sadly tell her that there is nothing I could do to help her. I value my island home and wish to keep it.

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#36 Cozucat

Cozucat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

The only reason I posted was because I read posts exactly like Scubamares.

An attorney being beat up at the courthouse? Funny that the news never made the paper, nobody saw it and even Sherri states that she wasn't there when it happened. I don't know how foreigners picture Mexico but we do not live in the wild West. Attorney's do not get beat up at the court house and I believe if you checked around that hardly anybody believes this occurance ever happened. This is what I meant by manipulation. I think the whole story is BS. And when people start believing that you are trying to con them they will take the other side no matter how they originally felt.

It was admitted that land was cleared by people who were not the rightful owners. That is a Federal crime in itself, let alone the fact that they killed plants that are endangered and/or protected which is an even worse crime. So now you have the "victim" who already has admitted to breaking two laws. Now add the fact that Sherri and her husband have filed many, many lawsuits against the owners of the hotel going in next to them to stop construction on the hotel. I am sure that none of us want a hotel next door but there is no zoning here and that is the chance you take when you build your home in an undeveloped area. The Money Bar guys own that land and they can do whatever they want with it whenever they want. If somebody kept filing suits against me for no reason other than they just didn't like what I was doing I would try and stomp them with a lawyer. Just because you happened to be the first one in an area doesn't all of a sudden give you the right to decide what happens with the land around you.

A lot of people say get the consulate involved. I guess some people really think that being Americans that they are entitled to do whatever they want down here and when things go wrong they can call in the consulate and John Wayne will ride in with the cavalry and save the day. This is not going to happen. We live under Mexican law. If we break the law the consulate might help recommend an attorney, but you are on your own. What's funny is J. Villalobos has a good reputation among most Americans and is one of the lawyers the consulate would recommend. One thing I want to point out is that the Mexicans usually cut ex-pats a lot more slack legally than they do Mexicans because they know that most Americans don't know much about the law here.

As far as empathy. I do not emapthize with people who break local laws and decide they are entitled to something for reasons only known to them. These guys hung themselves out to dry and now we'll have to see what happens. If they are so willing to break the law, put themselves in an extremely difficult situation and slander people with no evidence then why would you expect any of us to help? Why should any of us worry about them when they are engaged in self-destructive behaviour? As a matter of fact quite a few people although not in love with the Money Bar are very unhappy about the idea of destroying endangered flora and the fact that you cannot just claim land because you may or may not be able to find out who the owner is. What are they saying that if I have land here and they want it but don't know it's mine that it's ok for them to claim it?

When your friends in the States get into trouble do you pay for their lawyers fees? Do you go ballistic when they lose a lawsuit? Is it ok in the neighborhood where you live to just "claim" land because you don't happen to know who owns it? In the neighborhood where you live is it ok to cut down trees on property that is not yours? If a Mexican was in the states and destroyed plants in a state park and got arrested do you think the Mexican consulte would be able to do anything for them? The consulte is there mostly for business purposes. It is not there to provide a get out of jail card for those who violate local and/or federal laws.

Anybody that wants to help should feel free to do so. Send money, advice, whatever, but please stop with the cr*p about the rest of us helping somebody out that is probably in the wrong. Number one we all have our own lives and problems. This is not a big deal. Most people that were aware of the situation could see what was going to happen and it is really hard to feel sorry for someone who is their own worst enemy. The best advice I could give to the "victims" and their friends is to STFU! Every time one of you makes a post it comes across as hostile to both the Mexican government and the ex-pats that live here. You are just making it worse. You are alienenating some people who were originally on your side. Keep your indignation to yourself. It is none of your business.

#37 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

Bruce Coner's Mexican lawyer in this matter performed a "service" for someone i know. it was not pretty, and he invented stuff in the declaration, making the subsequent filing a nightmare filled with lies. he literally said to the other person "we can play this nice, or we can play this ugly....which one do you want". this was years ago. he also got a few unmarked cars (i called the patrol cars) and the guys were not nice. i will leave it at that.

he was highly recommended to this person by an american who liked him and trusted him. he was quickly fired due to negligence and lack of action on his part, not to mention making claims for this person which were downright not true. all has been resolved now by an honest lawyer. javier did however, return some of the money that was paid to him, for not completing the services for which he was hired. that was the only good outcome. to put a stationary gas tank 10 ft from someone's house???? come on people. this is extortion. this is a greedy man trying to fear into a small business owner to get what he wants. blow her up is probably on her mind.

so before YOU start saying things about a person, get your facts straight too.
also, sherri's land was bought by her corporation, which is mexican, and is full outright OWNER. it is not a fidecomiso.

this whole thing makes me sick. this bruce comer is using his cash to get what he wants, legal or not and big time. no matter what anyone says. remember carey when the palapa was being built and how there was a big stink on the board that it was against parque marino regulations? so how was it built? money, money and more money.

when the electric company is to tear up your property, they come around with notices. they even tell you if they are going to change the wiring leading to cutting off power for a few hours with the dates and times. so how was it done, and on a saturday? money.

to build a monstrosity, UGLY monstrosity, several stories high, AGAINST REGULATIONS, and to get away with it is corruption. he wants her land. she doesn't want to sell it. he kills her butterflies.

and i agree with the comment about the mockery. shame on anyone mocking this situation. did anyone mock treeman when he was thrown in jail? he did (unknowingly) something illegal. sherri has all legal papers to her property. but money to the right folks has made her property papers worth cr*p.

i, since i am a mexican with voting rights, will be talking to aurelio to see what kind of government he plans on running and will speak my word about this. i will mention the site, and will give him a copy which i am sure he has seen.

no one "asked for it" here. the only thing i agree with is that her lawyer needs to be replaced with another. and it has to someone NOT scared of a extortion-loving fight. there may be some of the facts a little exaggerated, i don't know. but the main jist is to show people what the heck is going on. she is afraid for her life. shame on anyone mocking the situation.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#38 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

"During this same timeframe, Comer Realty Investments (a Mexican corporation whose principal, Bruce Comer, is a U.S. citizen residing, as best we know, in New Mexico) acquired the only piece of developed property adjacent to my residence and beach club at Km 6.82. Immediately, Comer Realty bulldozed the house that stood on the property and began construction of a condominium project which ignored established building height limits and the rights of adjacent property owners – namely, mine. Comer Realty has continuously attempted to expand its land holdings beyond the properties they purchased. In fact, Comer Realty simply began erecting fence lines and posting “private property” signs within the boundaries of my (Empresas IslaMar’s) legitimate possession claim in complete disregard of the Civil judge’s order and the information on file at the Public Registry’s office. In addition, during a weekend when City offices were closed, Comer erected a cement wall in front of my access doors in order to block my passage into the land I lawfully possess. All of my phone calls, visits and pleas to city authorities to stop or dismantle the cement wall have been ignored."

there are certain rules that new buildings must adhere to when under construction in regards to your neighbors. the new buyer CAN'T just do anything they want. even in simple residential areas, they can NOT use your wall to build or attach anything. a new barda (wall) must be a few inches from the existing. you can NOT put windows that face into your neighbor's property (if the building is close to the wall), and if they "use" your wall as their wall adjacent to a garden for instance, they can NOT paint, riche or finish that side of YOUR wall without YOUR permission.

this guy built a fence on HER property!

i forgot to mention this in my last post....
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#39 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

i, since i am a mexican with voting rights, will be talking to aurelio to see what kind of government he plans on running and will speak my word about this. i will mention the site, and will give him a copy which i am sure he has seen.

no one "asked for it" here. the only thing i agree with is that her lawyer needs to be replaced with another. and it has to someone NOT scared of a extortion-loving fight. there may be some of the facts a little exaggerated, i don't know. but the main jist is to show people what the heck is going on. she is afraid for her life. shame on anyone mocking the situation.

Nauticab, since you have the legal rights and you have stated that Juan Carlos is a personal family friend, you might ask him the history of this case during his administration. Aurelio will be the next mayor as the opposition parties/coalition has been eliminated or chooses to not even bother with participating.

Does Sherri deserve any of what she is going through? Of course not! Should she have a clear understanding of just how things work here after living and doing business for the past 16 years? You betcha! Sherri may well have been victimized throughout this process, but I can't help thinking she has been victimized by bad or unrealistic legal advice, poor legal strategy and if indeed these pleas are from Sherri, she has a seriously misguided idea as to what might improve her legal predicament. I have seen worse than this, but not many.

From the beginning, Sherri needed a court to examine the facts where indeed they would examine the facts and rule on the basis of Mexican law. This might happen in Merida or in Mexico City. It is a very long way to Merida from Cozumel and the road leads to Cancun and then to Chetumal. I discussed my personal case with Sherri ten years ago. I have been there and done that, but my case was way more clear cut and obvious black and white. Only after I had filed a complaint with the Human Rights Commission and completed all the stacked deck obstacles would the Embassy even pretend to look at my case. The outcome of the U.S. State Department's examination of all their requested documentation was insulting, they certainly could have still done nothing and been more helpful or at least not be insulting to any one's intelligence.

Some of the statements attributed to Sherri seem very self defeating and there are too many contradictory words or allegations that are not backed up by any outside sources, i.e. the attorney being attacked and beaten which she says she was only informed that this took place. If one third of this could be substantiated, a press conference might be an appropriate action, not attempting an Internet letter writing campaign that will only harden resistance and cause any potentially sympathetic people to join in circling the wagons with her opposition.

This obviously is a battle with big money and as long as the pockets are deep enough, big money will win every time. It would appear that Sherri tried to make a claim to property during the administration of Gustavo, administration changed with Juan Carlos. Does anyone remember the various pledges of Gustavo to cancel and undo some of the permits and projects permitted by the previous administration, most notably the pedestrian bridge at Langosta, El Cantil as well as the condo project to the north that exceeds height restrictions by five stories.

Mexico has historically lacked strong control and influence in the peninsular as a whole and most especially in Quintana Roo which until recently was still under territorial status. What is very clear is that she has been outmaneuvered legally and out lawyer-ed from the start. She needed strong, competent counsel well versed in the law as it is practiced and the reality of how to get the case before a court that consistently applies Mexican law. Sherri's lack of local support from the ex-pat community is from many people recognizing the futility and that too much of this will be strongly self defeating. I am only surprised by Sherri acting surprised that this has transpired. Her arrest and "kidnapping off the highway" that is the way things are done as there are serious restrictions on just when and how law enforcement might intrude on a person's property and execute an arrest warrant. Sherri had posted that she expected to be arrested, I assume she had obtained an amparo which is why she was released from jail. It isn't like any of this came without advance warning and when things were not working, obviously a change in legal tactics and strategy was merited.

I am sorry to see this come to all this. Posting irresponsible statements that could damage the island as a whole is not going to win any influence or bring assistance. If you want to talk about an international letter writing campaign, talk to the family of Kirsty MacColl who officially gave up last year after an eight year campaign.

#40 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

To quote Cozucat: Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

"A couple of observations. Cookielady, barefoot and straightup1 who have very few posts are attempting to manipulate people especially outsiders with their constant posting of just one side of the story."

At that point Cozucat had two (2) posts total on this board.... so what is your point?

I appreciate anybody posting (even Cozucat) with info and/or thinking on this issue. I have yet to read Money Bar/Bruce Comer's point of view.

Also find it interesting that Bruce Comer seems to be an American. And his last name translates "to eat".

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users