12 replies to this topic

#1 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

I am posting this in hope we that we can find a civil way to help Sherri. Please know I am not trying to start trouble or step on toes but what is happening to her is just wrong. I have pasted her latest update below.

JUNE 5, 2010

I have a story that I want to tell before anything worse happens to me. I can’t sit in one place and tell it all at this moment for reasons that will become obvious very shortly.

On May 31, we received word from the “Conciliatory Civil Court” that we (my company Empresas IslaMar) should appear the next day at 11am before them to meet with representatives of Comer Realty and another shell company called Mar Esmaralda in order to try to to reach a negotiatied settlement of SOME of our differences.

Sometimes parties don’t even show up to these hearings but we had been told that “the other side” would definitely be there. So Tuesday morning, my local Cozumel attorney along with my company administrator went in good faith to this Conciliatory Court hearing. At some point my attorney was asked to step outside the room so one on one discussions could ensue. Suddenly, without warning or cause, one of the attorneys for Comer Realty and Mar Esmaralda named Martin Bracamontes, jumped up, walked outside and started physically assaulting my attorney.

The beating was so sudden and severe that my attorney was taken to the hospital for treatment. Mauricio and I were taking care of tours and such that morning at the beach club when I received the call advising me of these events. We left immediately to go to the hospital to check the condition of our attorney.

As we merged from the old highway onto the new highway (just in front of Caleta) heading toward San Miguel our truck was surrounded by UNMARKED VEHICLES and forced to stop (the vehicles should have had special license plates, been a certain color with numberings and ensignia on the side). Men in plain clothes (NO UNIFORMS OR LETTERING) jumped out of the vehicles and began screaming at us to get out of the car. Mauricio repeatedly asked what was happening. They said they had “an order of detention” but refused to let us see it or read it. Not one of these people was wearing a badge or would identify themselves to us. Then they begin to force themselves into our vehicle…grabbing the keys and forcibly removing us from it and putting us in handcuffs. We were literally kidnapped in the middle of the highway in Cozumel, Mexico.

Forced into a vehicle now, we began our first of many long scary rides….just wondering why and where we were going to end up. This ride ended at at the PGR court and detention center where Javier Villalobos, the main attorney and company representative for Comer Realty & Money Bar, stood awaiting our arrival. He wanted us to know that he orchestrated this whole thing AND WAS PROUD OF IT. Sick sadistic bastard that he is….he was grinning from ear to ear like he had just killed the last baby seal on earth.
I was at least pleased that this particular ride had not ended on some isolated jungle road somewhere. Inside we were taken into a restricted access area and asked for IDs. There were a series of attempts to provoke us into reacting so they could justify hitting either one of us. All the while Javier Villalobos is just outside the restricted access area watching with glee.

The next time I am able to write here, I will tell you more about the stupid charges against us THIS TIME…supposedly destroying wildlife. Can you imagine? All we’ve ever tried to do is PROTECT the natural resources of Cozumel.

But please know this for now: Things can’t get any worse for Mauricio and I than they are now….except to go to jail for longer this next week….which is what Bruce Comer and Javier Villalobos are attempting to do now. The whole idea is to get us in jail so I will sign away the rights to my nature park land in exchange for our liberty. So whatever anyone feels compelled to do or say in response to what has happened to us, please do so because again: the only thing worse than where we are right now is death. And given the sick, sadistic joy we saw in Javier Villalobos at our arrest, we can only imagine our torture is not yet over.

Have to run for now….literally. But maybe start by asking these questions ~

What kind of sick, sadistic person is Javier Villalobos to watch, overjoyed with glee, as 2 conservationists are arrested and hauled off to a third world country jail for being accused of destroying the jungle? And then to have told his buddy Frank Del Corno all about it so Frank could brag about at breakfast the next day how they finally took us to jail.

And what kind of sick, sadistic, mulit-millionaire #&^% of a man is Bruce Comer to FUND such activities and to have these kinds of henchmen working for him all the while touting how “environmentally sensitive” his new 60 unit condo project is??

I honestly don’t have the answers to these questions so why not do me the favor of asking them yourselves ~ it’s public information. The power of the internet is real and I'm hoping it will save our lives somehow....this is the only way I have to tell my story.

Bruce Comer, President
Professional Contract Administrators
6100-670 Uptown Blvd. NE
Albuquerque, NM 87110
EMAIL: bcomerpca@earthlink.net
US Cell: 719-331-2609
Office: 505-880-1758 or 239-594-9375

NOTE: Mr. Comer apparently made his millions as a US Defense Contractor/Supplier via SYSCO FOODS. Perhaps the US Department of Justice would be interested in how he's using these millions to influence events here in Mexico. Maybe The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1917 has something to say about how government suppliers spend their profits ~ but who am I to say? Just a lowly conservationist trying to stay alive at this point.

www.moneybarbeachlub.com
EMAIL: info@moneybarbeachclub.com
LOCAL PHONE: +52 987 869 5141 ~ Be sure and ask for Javier or Frank who are on site every day.
US PHONE: 404 910 5501

Thanks for all the emails, calls etc ~ I can't answer all because I'm running. But I am reading them!

#2 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

Wow....is this real?? Sounds like a bad movie.

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

k horror. i know javier and his wife. this is outrageous. what money has done to ruin some of our wonderful land and reef makes me sick. sherri, if you read this, i hope things settle down. and soon. i would get another lawyer or two on your case. perhaps a tough female lawyer? you think he'd send someone out to HIT and BEAT her? this whole story is confusing to me.
prayers are with ya sherri.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:03 PM

I must give credit to Coz2wonder for covering the whole topic in her post:

1. There is Her side, His side, and the TRUTH. I am willing to wait for the TRUTH.
2. Why would I want to put Sherri, or anyone else in harms way by yelling BOYCOTT, WRITE DISGUSTING EMAILS, CALLING THEM....isn't that the same thing as given them the bullets to shoot her with?

As for Sherri: There is a thing called "Unintended Consequences".

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
EDIT: I should have made that MORE clear that here ends anything related to Coz2wonder. The following is what my thoughts are in this matter.

I have to wonder, just what was Sherri thinking. She has had a long running feud and legal case for years. I assume she had obtained an amparo as this had plenty of warning. For Mexicans, if you don't have all the facts, wait until you do. For foreigners, if you have a clear and complete understanding of the entire Mexican legal and judicial system AND know all the facts, still keep your mouth shut.

I don't know what her immigration status is, it doesn't seem like she has become nationalized and obtained Mexican citizenship. A simple test, if you can't vote, you keep your mouth shut on any matters of politics. Mexico has long had a proud tradition of offering asylum for political reasons. Many communists from losing factions of the Russian revolution, Trotsky for one lived in Mexico (even had an affair with Frida Kahlo) until he wound up on the wrong end of a KGB ice ax. Thousands more came after the Spanish civil war to escape General Franco. Mexico extended asylum to thousands and thousands of neighbors(neighbours) from the south during the Washington created chaos in Central America, from Nicaragua to Guatemala. I even drove through a deserted ghost refugee village somewhere in the jungle close to the border with Q.R. and Campeche. Just like the U.S. at times has brought in political refugees, most often of guilt from situations they created, Mexico has provided asylum and protection for people of many nations fleeing political persecution. Many of these refugees returned to their homelands when circumstances permitted. Some just like in the U.S. remained residents and gained citizenship. They kept their mouths shut while Mexico provided aid, comfort and protection.

I have no understanding of what Sherri may be thinking as some of seemingly her suggestions are only providing fuel for her opponents to throw on the flames that she ignited. I do hope this will be an important lesson to many people. I can't count the hate letters, the threats I have received when I have only tried to protect people from hurting themselves. There are far, far too many people on the island with a false sense of entitlement. They feel that as long as their cause is "just", they have some kind of divine right to flaunt Mexican law, never mind the total disrespect of the culture. You have no legal right AND you have no moral right to impose your set of values and standards.

Hello people, all those of you have sent me hate mail and made threats to me that I rained on your fantasy parade that all was perfect in paradise. Are you feeling a sense of reality check? I hope so. Don't blame me the messenger for what is the message. Watch your step in matters of cultural differences, no you can't go out on the street and retail items even if for a worthy cause AND DON'T make slanderous statements that Chrysalis (which displays great respect and strictly adheres to legal requirements) does not exist to raise more donations whether it be for the Red Cross (AKA Cruz Roja) or some other ex-pat feel good project.

Wake up people. Thank you Sherri for sounding the alarm. If you show respect for Mexican law and the culture expect no problems. Whether deserved or not, Sherri has been asking for this and then she turned it up a notch and begged for this to happen. This is not some special Gringolandia time warp.

PS nauticab, you have gained citizenship and have your voters ID? Once you achieve that, then you have all the rights, priviledges AND responsibilities of a Mexican. Quite a number of ex-pats have achieved that although it is not getting any easier.
Nauticab can speak out, most of us can't. Right or wrong, good or bad, this is reality and it has always been made quite "plainfully" clear.

#5 cookielady

cookielady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Cozumel, animals, reading,travel and friends

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:42 PM

Wow Charles, We are just asking for ways to help Sherry and not start a pissing match. I understand there are unwritten rules, I know many
Americans on the island that run business and the way thinks work. I am not suggesting a lynching of the said establishment but would hope that people would join forces in a civil way and not have pissing matches. I admire Sherri for taking the risk and going the route she has instead of just rolling over and giving up her dreams, What has the Money Bar done for Cozumel? Are they known for being advocates of the ecological system of the island and involved in any of those activities, like the turtle release. From what I have seen and heard the almighty dollar is what they have in mind for their best interests. I understand that as well but I would not resort to the tactics they have. If a political candidate posts an open letter, what is the harm of posting it since it is out there anyway? What if you were in Sherri's shoes? I can understand the local folks on the board remaining silent because of fear but I don't get a couple of you thinking Sherri has brought this on herself . I believe Sherri crossed the line to take a stand because she knew full well what was coming down the pipe and I like many others wish her the best and applaud her courage.

#6 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:27 AM

Sorry, it is the law. Talk to Guadalupe Alvarez of Citymar about ecology issues and how much she has accomplished. I am not saying I like it, that I approve, all I am saying is that we have zero rights of free speech and anything said, everything said in Sherri's behalf will probably make things far worse for her.

Our hands are tied, our mouths have duct tape. If you think this is bad, I have seen worse. These rules are very boldly printed, it is THE LAW. Zero right for foreigners, none, zero, I can't make that more clear. Give her money for legal expenses if you like, but privately or that might be another charge against her.

I feel like a broken record, keep your mouth shut, no free speech, no right to protest, none. The law is very clear, always has been and they might be using bolder print now. FOREIGNERS HAVE NO RIGHT TO SAY ANYTHING POLITICALLY CONNECTED. I have seen dozens deported from Chiapas, human rights witnesses during the conflict there. It is real hard for me, but I know personally far more than most. I have been there and done that. It may seem outrageous, but those are the facts.

If you try to join forces, you'll be chartering a cruise ship for collective deportations. You'll be joining Sherri.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:51 AM

What a dilemma. This has certainly gone from bad to worse. My concern for Sherri is that it could get a lot worse.

I hope for Sherri's sake that a fast resolution is found.

I do want to make one clarification. In Charles post, he sited a post that I made. I want to make sure that I am only accountable for the following statement, and that the content below that belong to Charles.

"I must give credit to Coz2wonder for covering the whole topic in her post:

1. There is Her side, His side, and the TRUTH. I am willing to wait for the TRUTH.
2. Why would I want to put Sherri, or anyone else in harms way by yelling BOYCOTT, WRITE DISGUSTING EMAILS, CALLING THEM....isn't that the same thing as given them the bullets to shoot her with?

As for Sherri: There is a thing called "Unintended Consequences"

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:16 AM

This can be confusing for many of us NOB.. We are not reading this as Political matter.... but instead as a Civil matter.
We are not restricted on matters concerning our feelings and thoughts when not politically related in any way or form with the Mexican Government.......ahhh in anyway or form....but this is Government Related isn't it. In Fact what we think of as civil matters are in fact Political matters at least SOB and when its convenient for someone who has or has bought connections... Interesting You/we can do nothing but spend our money SOB and they...... can come up and do anything they want NOB and we are to feel sorry for them...we cannot boycott a bar we dont like and they can come up here illegally and insist on free schooling free medical the list is inexhaustible and they can gather and publicly protest about our Government not doing enough for them and we ....are told to shut our mouths about what is honestly a civil matter.
Lots of issues here btw..
If In Fact A Lawyer was beaten on Courthouse property, severely enough to require hospitalization while performing his duties involving a civil matter and nothing was done to the attacker? What Do You Have? You have inconceivable issues for most North Americans.. This is common place south of our USA borders.
What can you hope to accomplish? EVERYTHING ! In reality what will you accomplish? Nothing. But you could start doing something.. but most wont... Thats why it is the way it is .

#9 Barefoot

Barefoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:24 AM

My understanding of the situation is this: it has absolutely, positively nothing to do with Sherri's supposed involvement in political issues, by posting news on her website. The statement that Sherri has been asking for this is puerile. This is one man's attempt to obtain property which will add value to his existing (next door) property and allow him to build more waterfront condos. It's about money and power. Big surprise. How ironic that the charge is destruction of a protected plant species. If he is successful in obtaining this property, do you honestly think the butterfly sanctuary will survive? How many turtles is this man willing to save by traveling to the other side of the island at night to do the back breaking work of gently digging up turtle eggs until 4am and moving them to incubators, as Sherri has repeatedly done? I'm just sick over this.

As far as concerns regarding "unintentional consequences", please note Sherri's viewpoint as stated in her most recent letter:

"So whatever anyone feels compelled to do or say in response to what has happened to us, please do so because again: the only thing worse than where we are right now is death." That tells me that we have Sherri's permission and blessing to take action on her behalf.

#10 straightup1

straightup1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

Well said Barefoot I 100% agree and cannot understand Charles he is assuming Sherri is guilty as charged. Anyone knowing Sherri knows her dedication to the enviroment.

#11 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

that is exactly the problem...Sherri is asking people to get involved in HER personal business.

At the level this has escalated to, of course it's political...

Let me ask you, do you have a dog in this fight?

If you where called into court to justify YOUR ACTIONS(writing emails, phones calls, calling for Boycotts you have made in Sherri's behalf, as per her request) what would you say? What would be YOUR liability?

Do you think Sherri is a stupid person not smart enough to leverage the US Counselor, if it applied, if they could help?

If you say, "I am defending Sherri" by writing, calling and boycotting the Money Bar...do you really think that kind of DOCUMENTED evidence is going to help or hurt her by the opposing side?

This is a fight Sherri is in...

Regardless of how I may sympathize with Sherri's plight, I still only am hearing one side of the saga.

I refuse, to be pulled into a email, phone call campaign to support something I truly have NO FACTS about, and have only heard one side of the story.

Based on what I have read today, it sure sent some flags up for me to ask for clarification on some of her reasoning, and statements.

For what ever reason, neither party is able or willing to resolve their issues between themselves in private.

The issues escalated...it has turned ugly.

Let me offer you a reality check here...if you, as a foreigner cause damage to a person or business's reputation, or cause a decrease in a reasonable expectation of market share, by sending harassing emails, by posting on chat rooms, by making phone calls, by doing a public boycott, you MAY find yourself contradicting the edict of non political involvement in business, government process, and functions in Mexico.

As harsh as this may sound to you...this is between Sherri, and the owners of the MB.

This does NOT involve ANY OF US...

If you choose to get involved still, then it is at your own risk.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#12 Guest_AJSutton_*

Guest_AJSutton_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:12 PM

I totally agree with what you said, Charles. If you rile the hornets, expect to get stung. Wherever you are you have to try as hard as possible to fit in. I am very familiar with some of the non-tourist areas of Hawai'i, meaning there are lots of people with Hawaiian ancestry, most mixed with Japanese, Chinese, haoles, whatever. But a lot of these normally sweet, kind, and laid-back people take their culture very seriously and really get pissed when you start building houses over the bones of their ancestors or not showing respect for the few remaining heiaus. For this reason it is wise to learn how to speak a little Hawaiian and pidgin, and not butcher the Hawaiian place name pronunciation. It also helps to show a lot of respect if you visit heiaus or other sacred sites, like Mauna Loa or Haleakala, if for no other reason that even if the Hawaiian mokes don't bend you out of shape, Pele will make your life miserable.

Also, as a practical matter, Americans come from a vastly different political culture in which even gays, blacks, misogynists, and racists are allowed to shoot off their mouths interminably. This is not the case in most places, and it is not the case in Mexico. Beyond that, the legal culture is vastly different, Napoleonic Code and all that. And while there may occasionally be a whiff of corruption on the low level, corruption is universal. In the U.S., it is mostly on a high and lavish level, and although the sheeple are victimized by this, they are poorly educated and willfully ignorant. They would rather spend their time in the Wal-Mart or at the mall instead of learning about how their so-called leaders are giving them the shaft. So it is hard to complain about Mexico on that subject.

Beyond that, most lawyers everywhere spend most of their time working for wealth and the powers that be- that is just the way it is. And violence? It is as "American as apple pie."

And finally, as for business deals, as a trader I work in the markets daily with the most corrupt, unethical, and vicious crooks you could possibly imagine. I do not waste time complaining about anything, I deal with it. If a steamroller or cruise missile is coming my way, I run like hell.

So fit in, try to gag yourself once in a while, and GO WITH IT. So "live long and prosper." Aloha nui.

#13 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:28 PM

charles, yes i am a naturalized mexican with a credicial elector. i personally will not be patronizing money bar. have disliked it since the get go.... dzul ha was my "home" for work for years and to see our quaint beach club turn into this snobby "i have more money than you and i will show it off to everyone" place to spend the day. i will enter the water just north of the entrance and do my swimming. just like the locals do.
will i go and talk to any of the officials? i might. i might do it thru contacts of mine. people who work directly with juan carlos and felix. will i go and protest directly? probably not. and only because my life is complicated enough and i don't need more drama.
i will say that if what sherri says is true about the beating of her lawyer and javier proudly taking credit for the sick actions of various people that day, then that makes me sick. however, in mexico, you are guilty until proven innocent.

i still would like to hear the whole story though. if i end up voicing my opinion, ever so gently, to the people with power, i don't want to look like a fool.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users