• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 darnterri

darnterri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

We are coming to the island June 27th - July 8th. This year we would like to go do the tequila tour at the place on the road going across to the east side. Do you have to schedule a visit, or can you just pull up there and walk up for a tour? A quick Thank You to everybody who put info into the restraunt reviews. We never do the AI thing and have maped out alot of places we want to eat at this year! Also, we have never been out on a boat when we have been in Cozumel, is it possible to find a 1 hour boat tour that would just take us up and down the coast for a look at all the different hotels and beaches on the North Hotel zone?
Thanks for any replies.

#2 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

We did it about 2 years ago on a lark. Iíve spoken with some people who went and they thought it would be a joke. I did as well. Upon arrival you are given a muy potento margarita. We enjoyed the guided tour and got to sample (free)some premium tequila. We couldnít decide which we liked best, so we went back and sampled a few again and again. It was $10 well spent and we purchased some very nice tequilas while we were there. (The $10 was the cheapest part!) You can also buy/sample these brands in town near the square.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#3 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:11 AM

Yes you can just pull up out front and go in, you do not need to schedule a time to go.
We went on our last trip down and enjoyed it as well, however once was enough.

#4 jennick

jennick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:11 AM

This sounds like fun. Maybe we will partake in September. We are bringing our 2 grown children to experience Cozumel for the first time. :) Is it just sampling or do they show you how it is made too?

#5 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

They do not actualy make anything here, but they do have plants growing and have displays to show the history of how it is made.
Like I said we enjoyed it, but once was enough for us.

#6 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 09 June 2010 - 10:06 PM

Taken the tour three times, first by ourselves and the next two times with others who had joined us. Just pull up and park. Walk in the gate, by the time you get that far someone will have come up to talk to you about the tour. The samples are worth the price of admission. I personally like the anejo and the mar-mix :D
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

#7 darnterri

darnterri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:00 AM

Great! Thanks for the information. Our Son and his Wife are coming with us this year and I think we are going to have a great time.

#8 willycat

willycat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:36 PM

The generous samples are worth the $10 admission. They did not charge admission for my 12 year old niece but charged for $1 for a soft drink. They bring out a small appetizer that resembles raw sliced potatoes sprinkled with maybe paprika. Told us it was some carrot berry, tasted like a raw potato sprinkled with paprika. Look for the iguana in the guava field. There is a hole in the coral/rock below the stump he sits on. This is his home as he ran into it as my husband was trying to get a close up pix. As a previous poster mentioned this is a mock setup not a working factory (due to the poor soil on the island per Casper our guide.) A bull saddle hangs in the entrance hut at the tables you get your cup of margarita & potato. It was good kid entertainment. They have bathrooms. Tour takes mo more than 30 minutes depending on how long you want to stay, look & sample. Well worth the visit! And as always, there is a gift shop!

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,619 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

Willycat, what you had is called Jícama (pronounced HICK-KA-MA).

Reference WiseGeek (http://www.wisegeek....t-is-jicama.htm) Jicama is actually a legume.

Jicama is a crispy, sweet, edible root that resembles a turnip in physical appearance, although the plants are not related.

Jicama has been cultivated in South America for centuries, and the vegetable is quite popular in Mexican cuisine.

Jicama has a unique flavor that lends itself well to salads, salsas, and vegetable platters.

The roots can sometimes grow to be quite large, although when they exceed the size of two fists, they begin to convert the sugars that give jicama its sweet flavor into starches, making the root somewhat woody to the taste.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#10 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

LOL!! "Tasted like a raw potato sprinkled with paprika"!! Perfect description of jicama!!!

#11 DJDiverDan

DJDiverDan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving, economics, Politics, Libertarian. And eating great food (usually to excess!)

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:53 PM

Just as an aside, for those of you unfamiliar with Jicama, I love it as a salad vegetable - it is very versatile raw, and makes a delicious slaw - cut in very thin julienne slices, with thin shredded carrot & cabbage, some thin sliced red onion for bite, and a lime juice based dressing, with some very thinly julienned jalapeno for flavor & heat. Used to be very hard to find in U.S., but it can now be found in most groceries (at least here in Texas). It's also very good cut up into sticks, like carrot or celery stick's, with some seasoned salt or a curry dipping sauce. Like previous poster said, very large roots can be starchy or woody; smaller roots, very fresh, are sweeter.

#12 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

I'm sorry, it still tastes like a raw potato sprinkled with paprika. ROFLMAO!!!!! Willy, you made my day!!!

#13 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

We had the drink for the first time at Sabores last week. Very sweet but a nice, non-alcoholic drink.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#14 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

I think you are referring to Jamaica (Hah MY kah)(sp), which is steeped hibiscus flowers. And it is delicious! Jicama (HICK a ma) (sp) is a tuber and tastes like a raw potato sprinkled with paprika.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users