• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

Is anyone using the US version of Direct TV? Not the Spanish version but the US version.

Perhaps, the Sat guy has an answer?

If so, it will be of benefit to many of us here.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

Quite a number of people down here have Dish Network. What they do is purchase it for a US address and then bring the receivers down here. They pay for their service monthly with a US credit card attached to a US address. Then they buy a dish down here and get someone local to aim it for them and show them how to do it in the future when the dish has to be taken down for storm situations.

If you buy it in the states, you get a MUCH better deal and far more choice of channels.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

We are looking for new service. We have had Dish Network for a number of years, but they just changed satellites...very limited service, and it will be gone in the next two weeks.

We have a 6 foot dish, and only get cable channels now, no regular programming.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

The new satellite for Dish is still at 119, but they are, as you mentioned changing the satellite and using more focused spot beams to the US to improve signal. That means the fringe signal we pick up on Cozumel will get weaker. A minor re-aim should help your signal.

I looked into Direct as well, but the signal for them is worse on Coz than Dish. (I like Direct better than Dish, but that's the way it goes down.)

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

weaker...it is almost non existence NOW.

They (Dish) are in the process of fine tuning the new satellite. You can go online and see that (other then Purta Rico) it looks like the map of the US.

Once it is fine turned...that's it, it's over.

That is why I am trying to find a reasonable alternative.

I need to look at Direct TV's bleed over and see what that looks like.

Anonymous

#6 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

I had usa directv serveice in czm for about 8 months with a 6 ft. dish .I was able to get quite a few channels but had heard I could get more channels with dish network. -- so I switched to dish about 8 months ago. I was able to gt a better signal and several more channels with dish network. I have not been in czm since carnival so now I am a little concerned about my dish svc. in czm.
On another note - I had tree problems with my dish service at my house in the USA recently . The tech installed another dish and aimed at satellite 61.5.
This satellite is an old satellite that was used by dish for international only but has recently change .

I do not know if this would be of benefit in czm.

#7 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:45 AM

paula we have sky we used the guy across from the university he was very good we get national geographic which we couldnt get before and american network I dont know what your interests are re tv .we were paying a load more for dish but are very happy with what we have for a lot less dollars

#8 satelliteguy

satelliteguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

Until Dish Network completes the changeover from Echostar 7 to the new satellite, Echostar 14, we won't know what we can receive here on the island. The change is suppossed to be completed around June 17th. Right now transponders 1 through 5 and 8, if not more, are out. Those people with Miami channel feeds were on transponders 1 to 5. Those with New York feeds seem to have programming for the moment. When it is all changed over we can test to see what, if anything, can be done to receive signals here. It may mean a larger 1.8 meter dish will be required to obtain a signal. Satellite 110 carries the National Geographic channel, Golf channel, several movie channels and sports. It can be easily obtained using an old SKY dish. Satellite 61.5 is also available right now and that carries HD programming. Though it fades in and out periodically. Direct TV can be received here if you have the Motor Home package from Direct and point your dish at satellite 101. You must show Direct that you have a motor home title to get that however.

I have been suggest that everyone wait until the switch from the old satellite to the new is complete before making any changes. When that happens we can then test for the best solution and advise everyone accordingly.

#9 Cozumel Wireless

Cozumel Wireless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hello Everyone!

Well, the DN satellite switch is over now and finally we can get some reports on signal quality and strenght.

Good news is that 119 is still here

Bad news is you will need a larger dish to get it...

I have taken readings from a 1.8 mt dish and can share that now...

All locals are gone other than NY and San Fran. If you have sat 110 you still get about 4 or 5 denver locals...

Here are my readings...

TP Signal Beam
1 0 Spotbeam
2 0 Spotbeam
3 0 Spotbeam
4 0 Spotbeam
5 0 Spotbeam
6 50 ConUs
7 30 ConUs
8 27 ConUs
9 15 ConUs
10 42 ConUs
11 37 ConUs
12 37 ConUs
13 16 ConUs
14 43 ConUs
15 46 ConUs
16 36 ConUs
17 14 ConUs
18 50 ConUs
19 48 ConUs
20 34 ConUs
21 30 ConUs

If you want to get the whole Excel file to see what channels i got email me at nemecio@gmail.com

Saludos...
Cozumel Wireless
High Speed Internet, Satellite TV and Wireless Network Solutions!
Cel Phone: 987 101 4925 / 987 115 3761

#10 hodamayo

hodamayo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

I have a customer there in Cozumel that was using a 1.10 meter dish on 61.5 I switched it to a C/M 1.8 and he now gets more HD programming than he ever had. He now needs another 1.8 meter dish to bring back his 119 which he uses for his rentals. Sounds like you guys have all the questions answered over there now. I also heard you have a large shipment of 1.8s coming there soon. Good luck with all. If you have other questions or need help I do all ths on the mainland.

Mike Mayo
Maya Media Systems
998 147 2532

#11 two ladies & a guy

two ladies & a guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

we got sky we are happy with it but we want more shows like the price is right any help here thanks dawn

#12 Tim972

Tim972

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

sorry!!

#13 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:11 PM

I hope everyone doesn't start doing that or it will eat up the bandwidth real good and slow down the internet for the whole island. I saw the sling box in action on my fast as you can get here connection. Had a friend bring his over so I could check it out. It was about 3/4 as good reception as I can get from cablemas and the satellite signals are even better most of the time.

#14 Tim972

Tim972

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

Sorry if I opened up a can of worms!

#15 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:09 AM

True. However phone conversations tend to go on for ?? tops 20 minutes. Streaming television from 6 PM until 11 PM non stop -- and a lot of people just keep their tv on like that in the evening or even all day while they're doing other stuff -- I think that makes a difference.

#16 Cozumel Wireless

Cozumel Wireless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

Ahhhh....

Yeah!

That can of worms again...

I can not talk about sling box bandwidth usage as i never even seen one... but for sure have dealt with the ip phones...

MagicJack tops at 50k
Vonage at HQ setting tops at about 128k
Skype is 25k tops.

I have yet to see higher end ip phones ie. Cisco, Mitel or Lucent...

With the cost of bandwidth here at about $ 15,000 pesos for a 2 mb sync a month (with 3 year commitment) and being that and wireless links the only option for everybody that lives south of the international pier bandwidtt is truly precious here.

Yes, i know you can get 5 mb from telmex but that is only true in town. Everybody else is limited to about 512 down 128 up (if you consider that a 2 mbps is being shared) it would only take 8 slingbox users to bring a $ 1300.00 USD link to its knees!

There are other solutions for the long term stayers that already have a DTV or dish account at home but that is beyond this topic (or not?)

I secondy Carey's point at calls being average of 10 mins and the likelihood of many using it at once is very slim...

I would NOT suggest slingbox usage (at least not in Cozumel).

Saludos and have a great day!
Cozumel Wireless
High Speed Internet, Satellite TV and Wireless Network Solutions!
Cel Phone: 987 101 4925 / 987 115 3761

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users