• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 buskyandme

buskyandme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

My family is coming to Cozumel to carry out my father's last wish, a memorial by his kids at his favorite spot, "the little beer joint at the turn, next to the lighthouse." I believe this place might be called Playa Bush... I have googled the place on google maps, and the place is still there, it has a large sign saying Freedom in Paradise. There will be six all together, but I haven't seen any cars for rent large enough for everyone to fit in. I know we can catch a couple of cabs out there, but what are the chances of getting a cab back? Does anyone rent cars that would hold six people? Thanks for any help.

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:35 PM

I think you are talking about the Rasta Bar...Your Dad had great taste! (respectfully said)

I had posted the following fellow who has a large van, who I am sure will be able to assist you. Adiel (Add-D-EL)owns large vans, and speaks perfect English, and will be able to accomadate you in transportation.

Adiel King
email: adielrenan@hotmail.com
akica@prodigy.net.mx
Tel: 987-872-7270
Cell:987-111-1728

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 buskyandme

buskyandme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

Thank you so much for your help. And yes, my father had wonderful taste! Hopefully, we can do him proud.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

Your Dad will be home.

I do have a suggestion...I truly hope that you are not offended. That is NOT my intention.

Having gone through it with all but one of my family members, I do understand your loss.

What if you where to bring a small plaque done with you, with your Dad's name, and say "He (Dad's name) was/is here"

If your Dad loved to lounge in the hammocks, perhaps you could have a hammock donated in his name.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Paula

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

My will spells out that I am to be cremated and put in test tubes and given out to all my friends at a party celebrating my life and the fun we had together. I even spelled out the cocktails to be served. I have several locations on Cozumel I want my ashes spread around. The rest, my friends are asked to take my ashes to one of the places we used to "play" and have fun. I expect to become part of a few glaciers and ski slopes, ground into the asphalt at a few racetracks and supporting plant growth on some mountain bike trail.

That being said, Rastas/Freedom in Paradise and Playa Bush are all basically at the same spot. You can rent a large SUV for the day from Less Pay on Melgar, a few blocks south of the square.

You can download a simple pdf map of the island here to get you to the location:

http://www.cozumelco..._island_map.pdf

I can think of no better thing you are doing for your Dad. You may want to consider several locations so he covers the entire island.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#6 buskyandme

buskyandme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:23 PM

Thank you everyone for your input. The hammock thing is a great idea! I am downloading music now to bring with me. Lol...the man had EVERYTHING planned out... from Frank Sinatra's - My Way, Pavarotti's - Nessum Dorma, Mozart's - Ave Verum, to Willie Nelson's - Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain (can you tell he was once a band director?), to what alcohol will be consummed. Hopefully, everyone will know how to do the "Y" dance before we leave. Just smiling over what a lady's man he was... lol... he had the four wives to prove it!

#7 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

What a wonderful thing you are doing... and it is one of my favorite spots as well.
Like was mentioned, if you are looking to rent a vehicle you can drive yourself contact John at Less Pay.
When are you coming down to the island?

#8 buskyandme

buskyandme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

We are coming down June 24th and leaving June 29th. We have rented the Las Palmas house in town so that the whole family can be together. No one is going to dive this trip... I know, a big sin, but considering some of the group doesn't dive we are trying to make this more about being together (and no one has to worry about the amount of alcohol consumed...lol). We are looking into doing the sailing trip (either the sunset or day trip), eating, drinking, being one with the ocean. We are now all landlocked, but my dad was all about the ocean, (you should have seen his house on two acres on the bay in Corpus Christi, Texas... I can taste the blue crabs now) and it's where we all feel truly at home.

#9 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:54 AM

Not looking to be a wet blanket here but most airlines and TSA have long refused to ship even cremated human remains...

#10 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

That's partially correct, Richard.

Airlines will allow you to carry it on board. They don't want it as checked baggage....However, it needs to be in a container the x-ray machine can see through. A metal urn won't allow the x-rays to go through it. Glass, wood or plastic should be fine.

http://www.tsa.gov/t...orial_1296.shtm

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#11 Richard W

Richard W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, Scuba, Motorcycles

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:32 PM

Thank You for clearing that up mslf500 and for even providing us with a link.. I tried through United as I recall, and it just wasn't happening for us.. It could well have been the sealed metal box.

#12 buskyandme

buskyandme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

If anyone has any questions about getting cremated remains into Mexico, my sister is now an expert!

[b]Transfer of human ashes

Ashes should be placed in an urn duly sealed and placed in a sturdy outer box.

Certified copy of Death Certificate translated into Spanish (WITH APOSTILLE).

Certificate of Cremation translated into Spanish (WITH APOSTILLE).

No consular fee is charged.

It usually takes one (1) working day to process the documentation. Service is provided during regular business hours.Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am. to 11:30 am.

In accordance with recent regulations published in the Official Gazette of the Federal District (January 14 and March 11, 2004), whenever it comes to certifying a Burial Transit Permit of a corpse or ashes, whose final destination will be the Federal District (Mexico City), you are kindly requested to contact your nearest Mexican Consulate before sending the documentation to them.

NOTE: In accordance with Mexican Federal law, all translations must be done by a certified translator.

Having lost both my parents last year, three months apart, we have become experts on a variety of subjects. None of which I hope to be able to use ANYTIME in the future!

#13 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

In regards to the APOSTILLE stamp, in case you have not gotten it yet. It SHOULD be available at any state office, but as we just found out this week from one of my husbands clients, it may not be that easy.

I am not sure what state you are in, but his client is in San Fran, and they could NOT get the stamp at any of the state office buildings because of budget cuts in California.

They had to hire a Notary, who notarized the document, then he DROVE the documents to Sacramento to have the Apostille stamp added.

The charge for what should have been $20 dollars was $180 for only the original document.

I hope your state is in better shape then California, and the stamp will be easily available.

I do hope it goes smoothly for you.

Anonymous

#14 buskyandme

buskyandme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:40 PM

My sister has everything done... yeah Karla!
I am sorry for the trouble you are having, things went really smoothly in Texas!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users