• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smack

smack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

i have 2 daughters ( 9 and 10 years old ), and we will be staying at the Allegro resort in mid July for 9 days. we all have snorkeled before and just want to know if it would be better to do a snuba excursion ( less time in water ), or a snorkel excursion ( more time in water ). we want to be able to see as many fish as possible. also, where would be the best places ( reefs ), to go to for these excursions?

#2 detroit...(texas)

detroit...(texas)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

we just returned from cozumel on thursday. one day of our trip was spent mostly at chakanaab park, where my 22 yr old and 18yr old took the snuba dive. my wife and i tried the snuba 7 years ago and that is what prompted us to get open water diving cert. i think its a good choice because my 18 yr old loved it and wants to get certified for scuba.... but my 22 yr daughter just wants to snorkel from now on :)
on their dive they saw several star fish, rays, hermit in a conch shell and a couple lobsters along with the sea spiders and lots of fish.
cost was $62 each and lasted about an hour. ( cost about $25 to get into the park for all day, free shirt included)
one other place near town offers snuba also but i have no info except it will be further from you if you stay at allegro. hope this helps

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

Why not do both? We enjoyed watching the snuba divers while we snorkeled. And you sure don't need a paid excursion for snorkeling. Other than the Wild Side, you will find good snorkeling anywhere there's iron shore. Lots of little (and big) beach clubs all over. For safety of the kids, you may want to make sure there are other folks in the water.

There are submarine tours for deeper sightseeing. Have not been, but they seem to be popular.

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

did find a Youtube video of Snuba in Cozumel...see if it is something the kids would be interested in doing.

I will say, some of the video is stock footage...

I also did the Atlantis Sub TWICE, and LOVED IT (and I live here).

It is a REAL mini sub, and you go down about 100 feet into Chananaab park. Divers above, divers below, fish all around...

The best seats are behind the pilot. Not only do you get your own portholes, but you also get to look through his huge bubble windshield.

In my opinion, it is well worth the price. Where else could you go down 100 feet, and not be a diver?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users