• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Meg_inTX

Meg_inTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

A friend of mine is traveling to Mexico with his 2 daughters, one is a minor, and their mother will not be going. I know a few years ago it was required for a notarized letter from the parent not traveling granting their permission for the minor to travel with the other parent. The letter had to state the travel dates, airlines and destination. He called the airline and they are telling them it is no longer required since passports are now required and the passport requires both parents signatures. When applying for the passports there is an addendum that can be attached if the minor is not to be allowed to travel with only one parent.

Has anyone recently traveled to Mexico, since the requirement of the passport has been in effect. He is trying to figure out if Mexico is going to require a notarized letter still or if the passport will suffice.

Thank you in advance!

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

if you Google "minors traveling with one parent" a lot of information comes up.

From reviewing some of the information, it would appear that the safest bet would be to get the consent letter, and have it notarized (one site has a example of a letter).

Also, the airlines, and US Consulate office in your state will also be a resource to contact as well.

The reason a letter granting permission from one parent to the other is because of parental abductions issues.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:45 PM

I am a single mom living here and traveling back and forth to the states pretty frequently with my 5 year old. It's never been an issue on either end. My mom even came into Mexico with my daughter without me and no questions were asked (I did have temp. guardian papers drawn up just in case for that one). As long as the minor has a passport that doesn't expire within 6 months, you should be ok.

#4 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

I went down last September with my girlfriends two grandkids with the notarized letter and it was never needed. The letter cost me a buck to have notarized. I don't think you need it but for an extra dollar I would bring one along.

#5 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

We travelled with my son's girlfriend last Christmas who was 17, and no one said "boo" to her as to why she was travelling with us, and if she had her parents' permission. In Canada, anyone over 16 travels on an adult passport. Minors' passports must have both parents' signatures, and if not, then the non-signing parent is contacted, and any custody/access documents must be presented at the time.

#6 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:32 AM

Megan,

No letter is required anymore. Only a valid passport. You know my family and how they travel. The teenagers have been in and out of Cozumel, and Europe by themselves. Dallas has traveled with me alone and no letter from Gina. Gina has been coming to Cozumel with him since 7 weeks old, and as you know "Daddy" is not involved. She or I have never been asked for anything other than a passport.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:15 AM

I am sure everyone is right...that THEY have never had a problem.

I would still check with an official, and appropriate resources because all you need is ONE official to ask for the document, and what will you be able to do about it then.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:47 AM

The OFFICIAL answer from every airline we have used...and we do check each and every time, is that this rule has not applied for several years. Only requirement is a passport.

#9 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

Not to contradict Patricia, but some food for through when you make your decision on if you need any additional documentation for the minor child.

For me, this is just one step in what I already doing to ensure that I will have a smooth trip, just like I copy all your travel and passport documents, list of any medical conditions, and whom to call in case of emergency.

In most cases, it will never be use...but just in case...I'm covered.

From the site "About.com" which is a pretty good source of all types of information.

"Crossing Borders- -
Documents Needed When Only One Parent Is Traveling

By Teresa Plowright, About.com Guide
Single Parent Canada Travel Travel Visa To Travel Warnings Family Law Children
Please see also: Crossing Borders With Children - Mexico, and Crossing Borders With Children - Canada.

In recent years, concern about parental abductions -- where one divorced parent steals the child away from the other one-- has prompted border officials to be more cautious when they encounter a child traveling with just one birth parent.

If you're traveling as a solo parent with your child -- or if the child is traveling with a grandparent or guardian-- at a minimum, the traveling parent should carry a letter of authorization from the absent parent, giving permission for the travel. It's quite likely that, for most countries, you won't be asked to show any travel consent letter -- but better safe than sorry, right?

Anonymous

#10 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:52 PM

Lone Parents Traveling to Mexico with their Children
If you are a lone parent, or if you will be traveling to Mexico with your children and without your spouse or partner, you are no longer required to produce a notarized letter to enter Mexico with them. However, your children will require their own passport, The rules changed in January 2005:

Before January 1st, 2005 it was necessary for single parents or parents traveling without their spouse or partner to have a notarized letter of consent from the absent parent, giving permission for the child/children to travel. It was also necessary for unaccompanied minors to have a notarized letter from both parents giving them permission to travel. Widows/widowers needed to carry certified copies of death certificates; and those with estranged partners needed a court order granting custody of the child/children as proof of legal custody of the minor/s they were traveling with.

With effect from January 1st 2005 it is no longer necessary for single parents, unaccompanied minors, widows/widowers or parents with estranged partners to produce notarized letters or other supporting documentation. Instead, each child MUST have his/her own passport. As with adults, the passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of departure. If you are in any doubts, contact your nearest Mexican Consultate for advice.

http://www.mexperien..._mexforkids.htm

#11 Meg_inTX

Meg_inTX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

We called the airline, and of course, the US says it is not required since we are all required to carry passports. I also called the Mexican Consulate here, the gentleman I spoke with says that Mexico DOES require a notarized letter granting permission from the parent not traveling. My friend got the letter, very simple, stating travel dates, the airline and destination. He will bring it, may or may not be asked for it. I agree with everyone who has suggested to bring it just in case. You never know with the ever changing moods of officials in Mexico. Thanks to everyone who replied, to me it was really a common sense sort of documentation but it was a last minute trip and my friend wasn't sure if he could get the letter in time.

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:12 PM

interesting, two different sites with conflicting information.

Oh well, the parent will figure it out what they want to do.

Anonymous

#13 DreamingofCoz

DreamingofCoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

I frequently travel with both my kids - often times, my husband leaves the island before we do or comes later...I have always been advised to have a notarized letter. I have never been asked to produce the letter, but I figure I'd rather be safe than sorry. I always just type up a very simple letter stating that my husband authorizes me to travel alone w/our kids and list where we're traveling to/from and the dates. It takes my husband less than 5 minutes to stop at the bank and have it notarized for free...

Have fun on your vacation! We are looking forward to our next trip as well! B)

#14 Sandy H

Sandy H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

I've brought my small grandson to Coz with me several times now and have always gotten a notarized letter from both parents giving permission. I can't remember if I had to show it on our last trip in June, but I do know I had to show it at least once last year. I also include in the letter authorization to obtain any emergency medical care needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users