46 replies to this topic

#41 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:34 AM

I'll give it some thought. Perhaps the point has been made at this juncture. I generally say no ill of any commercial establishment preferring just to withhold recommendation so as to damn by faint or no praise. But in this case, I was trying to make a point using an actual case so that people could look for themselves re what I was talking about. Anyone who checked the tripadvisor forums would see how very highly this restaurant was touted. It was like #2 for Cozumel or something ridiculous like that. Now it's #10 with dozens of better tacquerias (imo) getting no mention whatsoever.

#42 corki

corki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

12 of us had dinner at Otates Wed April 27th.....as usual most of us had the gringa's which were full of grilled pork, cheese, grilled onions and cilantro topped in pineapple and a couple had pozole which was passed around for others to try...they said they would have it the next time. Service was quick food was great and my gringa's (3) and aqua was 54 pesos..... It's a great place for a large group.

#43 3m

3m

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:Diving; cooking; gardening

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:01 PM

I'm with Cozdude. It may be that there are better cheap food joints but I don't get why Otates is being singled out as inadequate. The fact that they are full a lot of the time (partially by locals) makes this a specious argument.

One last observation: near as I can tell, the mission of this website is to encourage tourists to try locally owned and operated businesses. It would appears that tourists, among others, seem to love Otates and that many people staying at all-inclusives make the effort to come into town to eat there. So what is the issue?
Marg Moran McQuinn

#44 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:07 AM

Well, it looks to me like the opinions are pretty much divided between people who like this joint and people who don't care for it. So, with the cheap prices and convenient location, I'd say it's as good a bet as any for people to give it a shot. In short, the restaurant got a lot of publicity out of this thread and it wasn't all bad.

I started the thread as a discussion of how internet hype can snowball out of proportion and was using a specific example to try and make my point--that one little place should be ranking so high in tripadvisor, owned by Expedia, while other equally good or better local places were being completely ignored in that same venue.

#45 MexFan2

MexFan2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 06:44 AM

One thing that I have seen at Otates, as happens in many places, is that I have seen the quality go down as the tourist trade goes up. Not exclusive to Otates by any means--it just seems to happen.
As far as one thing I noticed on the Trip Advisor forum is that Wet Wendys is rated as the top restaurant. To me, I agree with opinons I have read that it is nothing more than a bar with a few tables on the street. I have read that Wet Wendys solicits good reviews on Trip Advisor , thus a top rating. The Trip Advisor ranking are nothing more than a popularity contest, as I understand it. They have nothing to do with the quality of the place.
But so many good cheap eats here, its always difficult for me to pick one.

#46 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:14 AM

Well, in the case of Wet Wendy's, the nice young owner is just working the system as best he can and appears to be doing a good job of it, too. He's a smartinternet marketer. I've not had the opportunity to eat there but I've heard the food is quite good and has a Hungarian influence.

#47 mike_s

mike_s

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:33 AM

When I think of Wet Wendy's I think of drinks and of course their mounded margaritas. I have only had jalapeno poppers there so as far as the food that is all I can comment on. The owners are a very nice couple and I am happy to know them and grab a drink there every once and awhile. Now back on track........

Otates.....

I dont live far from them (a bit farther North than Carey) and back in 05 walked by it almost every night as that rental house was even closer. Normally I would walk the extra few blocks to Serras. At Otates I have tried the pastor, gringas, charros, queso fundido, arrecheras, chicken tacos, etc etc... The only thing 'I' care for there is the queso fundido,it's killer! But that is jmo. Not sayin' that at 3am I wouldn't go there with friends and eat just about anything jajajajaja. As others have stated there are a TON of other cheap local eats on the island and Otates is only one. Each place has its own flavor, speciality, atmosphere. It all just really depends on what you feel like that night/day. I think it is just so great to be able to walk to alot of different locations and eat for as cheap or cheaper than if you were to go to the Pelican and buy your own stuff to cook.

Mikes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users