9 replies to this topic

#1 Baja Satellite

Baja Satellite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

Hello All,

I'm a new member here on these Forums but I have a lot of experience with Satellite TV (20 years).

I found these forums because we received a lot of inquires from Cozumel residents over the last few weeks asking about how they might get the network channels restored now that Dish Network replaced their main satellite and eliminated the spot beam coverage into Cozumel for the Miami local networks.

It is possible to get the Local Network channels from San Francisco, New York, or both, in Cozumel - even on a 4' dish. We know how to do this. Please visit our web site for more information.

Of course, for the benefit of other members, feel free to ask questions here and I'll try my best to respond to them.

Best Regards,

Alan
Alan Thompson
Baja Satellite
http://www.BajaSatellite.com

#2 satelliteguy

satelliteguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

Have you come to Cozumel and done a transponder check using a 4 foot dish? Before you advise people you can do networks on a 4 foot dish you should. Even with a 6 foot dish here our readings are quite low but enough to obtain programming. A 4 footer has proven to be OK for the transponders that carry CNN, HLN, Weather Channel but the New York feed on transponder 20 has been reading 1 on a 4 foot dish and 16 to 18 on a 6 foot dish. Maybe the California channels would fare better? Your opinion would be helpful to those shopping for service and new larger dishes.

#3 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

We have the New York feed here in Cozumel and have two dishes now...one is a 3ft beaming for 110 and one is a 4ft...beaming for 119...we have been told that to get all the channels that are sometimes missing? i.e. the networks, we need to replace the 4ft dish with a 6 ft dish and then we will get everything? What can you offer to us instead of changing our dishes?
Susan and Mike
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#4 Baja Satellite

Baja Satellite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Have you come to Cozumel and done a transponder check using a 4 foot dish? Before you advise people you can do networks on a 4 foot dish you should. Even with a 6 foot dish here our readings are quite low but enough to obtain programming. A 4 footer has proven to be OK for the transponders that carry CNN, HLN, Weather Channel but the New York feed on transponder 20 has been reading 1 on a 4 foot dish and 16 to 18 on a 6 foot dish. Maybe the California channels would fare better? Your opinion would be helpful to those shopping for service and new larger dishes.

Haven't been to Cozumel but I did do a transponder check. And you're right, a bigger dish would help anyone in your area with a smaller dish recover channels on some transponders that still have some signal, mainly 10, 11, 13 and 14. I know you guys took a beating there.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. We only set up this client's programming for the SF and NY networks, not the hardware. We're obviously too far away for that. The client already had the dish and receiver installed by someone else years ago, and contacted us to restore local network service after the E-14 satellite swap.

Here were the TP readings for their 4' in Cozumel: 01,02,03,04,05,07,08,09,12,16,17,20 and 21: all 0, 06:16, 10:7, 11:9, 13:5, 14:9, 15:19, 18:20, 19:20

We set them up with the SF/NY programming this last Friday so I know for certain that both the SF and NY local networks can be received in Cozumel on a 4' dish.
Alan Thompson
Baja Satellite

#5 satelliteguy

satelliteguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Under optimum conditions and with good aiming the 4 ft. dish will receive the listed network channels. Heavy cloud cover and rain cuts them off quickly. Also there are several channels unavailable on the 4 foot dish that can be received with the 6 footer. TLC, Discovery, etc., are not going to come in with a 4 footer. For here on Cozumel I suggest a 6 foot dish to avoid problems and then use the old 4 foot dish for 110, put in a SW-21 switch and then get everything. I have also found that an old and yellowed LNB cuts the signal strength as well. Good luck.

#6 sailsgal

sailsgal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:diving, writing, water sports, sailing, travel.

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

To Alan from Baja systems..we would like to know who in Cozumel you did set up your system with? this way we can get a referral name and find out how it is going and satisfaction rates etc.
please email us at cozumeltours@yahoo.com Thanks Susan and Mike
Susan aka Sailsgal
www.cozumeltours.com

#7 Baja Satellite

Baja Satellite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

Hello Susan and Mike,

She said she would be happy to give a referral but, out of courtesy, I'll send your Email address to her first and ask her contact you directly.
Alan Thompson
Baja Satellite

#8 Baja Satellite

Baja Satellite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the clarification. Under optimum conditions and with good aiming the 4 ft. dish will receive the listed network channels. Heavy cloud cover and rain cuts them off quickly. Also there are several channels unavailable on the 4 foot dish that can be received with the 6 footer. TLC, Discovery, etc., are not going to come in with a 4 footer. For here on Cozumel I suggest a 6 foot dish to avoid problems and then use the old 4 foot dish for 110, put in a SW-21 switch and then get everything. I have also found that an old and yellowed LNB cuts the signal strength as well. Good luck.

Agreed. I had already advised her she should consider getting a bigger dish and repurpose the 4' on the 110.

At least you still have some of the 119 to work with. We completely lost signal from all transponders on the 110 in BCS about two years ago when DN swapped it out. We were finally able to move all our dual dish setups to the 129 a year later to get back some HD.

And spot on about the LNBs. They really cook in a tropical clime, and they're cheap enough to replace to make it a no brainer. I've had some requests from others in your area looking for a larger dish. Sounds like you've got a solution for them.
Alan Thompson
Baja Satellite

#9 Cozumel Wireless

Cozumel Wireless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 11:34 PM

Sorry, I should have been more specific. We only set up this client's programming for the SF and NY networks, not the hardware. We're obviously too far away for that. The client already had the dish and receiver installed by someone else years ago, and contacted us to restore local network service after the E-14 satellite swap.

Shameful plug here....

I know Alan is too far from here to do any testing but i have done it...

A 4 ft dish will not be enough for most of the programming but with some careful alignment and an LNB in very good condition it would be good enough for the networks (on clear days only!) The signal is low enough that some clouds and even light rain will make it fade out.

If anyone is interested for comparison purposes i can provide a file with the readings taken from a Channel Master 6 ft dish with new LNB and the channel line up i was able to watch on an America's Top 120 Package. I will be doing the same thing with another (non brand name) 6 ft dish and be able to share that too...

I also offer my services to install those new 6 ft dishes that have been ordered and should get here pretty soon. i can provide references or you can ask around the forum for them. It would be a pleasure helping out to recover as much as we can from our gone programming!

ahhh... To get the networks back Alan at bajasatellite is the way to go!

Saludos to all!
Cozumel Wireless
High Speed Internet, Satellite TV and Wireless Network Solutions!
Cel Phone: 987 101 4925 / 987 115 3761

#10 Baja Satellite

Baja Satellite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:49 AM

I'll add here that, if you have decent reception from the 110 satellite with a 4' dish, it's also possible to get the local networks from Los Angeles and Chicago in High Definition. (Provided you have an HD receiver and an HD enabled TV :).
Alan Thompson
Baja Satellite

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users