• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 dan the man

dan the man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

Thanks, I did end up finding another thread with some weather advice. Definitely has us a little concerned about our time frame. Would late October be a better choice than September or early-mid October?

#22 jennick

jennick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

We were there the last 2 weeks of September last year.
I think it rained about 5 days out of 14, but only for about 15 minutes. Except for 2 times it was a downpour for about an hour. We were in town one of those times, we just kept under the awnings, and found a table to sit at, had a few XX and people watched. The other time we were in Mega shopping, so no big deal. When it stopped, the sun came out and it was beautiful.
So - we are going again the middle 2 weeks this September. So we are not worried.
But I understand your thoughts about it. Ultimately, it is what makes you more comfortable.

#23 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

I'd say don't think about the weather. This past year, especially the last 6 months, has been unusual. Nortes when they're not expected, temperatures all over the place. I remember my second trip to Cozumel. It was only for 4 days and it poured down rain every day; this was in August.

It's Cozumel... you just make the most of whatever the weather decides to dish. Like Carey said, there may be an adventure to share, but what an amazing place for an adventure!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#24 dan the man

dan the man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

Yeah, I think we will be able to make the most of it if there's rain. Just being someplace like Cozumel will be exciting and fun regardless. My fiance has never been out of the US and she has the travel bug something fierce so we'll definitely have fun with it!

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice and info. I guess I should finish up planning the actual wedding... :lol: But we look to be dead-set on Cozumel and we are feeling much more comfortable about everything now that we have some good info. Can't wait!

#25 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 22 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

Given a choice between September and October, I would pick September. October is our biggest hurricane month in this part of the caribbean. It's earlier other places but the Bay of Honduras storms which are often the ones that get us, tend to form late in the year. Of course, this year and this decade, I guess, it's anybody's guess. Just know, again, that if you are caught here during a hurricane you will be completely safe -- just inconvenienced unless you have the right attitude in which case it can be an experience you'll tell you grandchildren about.

#26 ksteen

ksteen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

If you do decide to go the AI route, I recommend Iberostar. Although it is not Adult only, it has a nice quite romantic atmosphere at the south end of the island. Rent a car from Margarita at ISIS. and go to the east side of the island and have cold coconuts and take photos on the rock cliffs. We just got back last week, we stayed at EL Coz.(big mistake) so we spent most of our time in town and on the east side, which was so much fun. We ate most of our meals out since the food at El Coz is horrible. Eat at La Mission at the plaza, the food was great!

#27 dan the man

dan the man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:54 AM

Hey all,

I thought I would update the situation a little. We finally have a wedding date set - September 24th. :) As of right now, the plan is to leave for Cozumel soon after

I'm emailing back and forth with Ron regarding condo rentals. Can someone confirm that this is the guy I should definitely be talking to? His email was right off of the Cozumel Villas website (his email is rentals@mexico-villas.com) so I assume he's the right guy. Anyway, he quoted us a price of $967 for 7 nights at the Cantamar Condos, which caught our eye due to there being both a pool and ocean access as well as being somewhat near town. Does anyone have any particular experience with these condos? They look great and I've read good reviews. Of course they all pretty much look great, though. We'd be getting a room that is listed as a 2BR, but I asked for a 1BR, so I wonder if part of it is closed off or if it's just cheaper with 2 guests?

Anyway, before I actually booked anything, I really wanted to run it by you guys and I appreciate any insight as always. :)

#28 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

I haven't stayed north of town, Dan, other than in a house. I took a quick look at Trip Advisor reviews, though. Most are good, but one said something about no elevator. That would be an issue for me, but I'm likely a bit older than you Posted Image

Ron and Sherri are the people you'd want to be talking with. Let us know what you choose to do and how you liked it once you're back!

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#29 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

Hey all,

I thought I would update the situation a little. We finally have a wedding date set - September 24th. :) As of right now, the plan is to leave for Cozumel soon after

I'm emailing back and forth with Ron regarding condo rentals. Can someone confirm that this is the guy I should definitely be talking to?

If it's Ron White, yes, they're a reputable second-party company that books a whole lot of rental homes both on Cozumel and the mainland coast. cozumel.tc is another very good firm and they are on island and do property management as well on the majority of beachfront properties.

I believe Cantamar is the one that looks terrible from the outside. Really tall and derelict looking when you drive up to it but I understand they've really fixed up some of the lower units and they're very nice. Also it's easy walking distance to a nice little beach club and restaurant whose name eludes me at the moment.

#30 dan the man

dan the man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:14 AM

Now we are thinking about Residencias Reef (per Ron's recommendation). In particular, the 5203 unit. Slightly less expensive than Cantamar and right on San Francisco Beach (which I understand, though, may not be the best for snorkeling, but we'll have a car). Any thoughts on RR? We're very close to booking! Very exciting :D

#31 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

First, we have known Ron and Sherri for about 7 years, and they are great folks...so no worries there.

As for RR, ask if the unit faces the ocean, or has ocean views.

You can't beat Cantamar for the views, and the deeper water right in front to jump into with a small reef running along for snorkeling close to shore.

However, I live just a stone throw of RR, and it is very peaceful, and to can walk to San Fran, Paradise, and Carlo's and Charles beaches.

You will be about 10 miles from the center of town.

You said you are renting a vehicle, which puts my mind to rest...NO SCOOTERS!

Which ever property you choose, you will be out and about most of the time, so either will work.

My preference would be Cantamar, because of the great snorkeling there.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#32 jennick

jennick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

We stayed at Cantamar for 2 weeks last year, and are going again this September for 2 weeks. We love the condos, find the walk into town very nice each night, loved the pool and snorkling out front. We have no complaints about this place.

I booked from VRBO and we stayed in unit 102 on the ground floor. It was great to be able to walk out of our patio and be right at the pool, which is different from being a few floors up, having to lock your door everytime you go to the pool, and having to climb stairs every time you want to get drink or use the washroom. But there are stairs no matter which unit you stay in.

We did meet a honeymoon couple that stayed in the one bedroom last year, they said it is very small. It is not a 2 bedroom that has just locked off the other bedroom. I think the bed is a murphy bed? and the kitchen and bathroom looked tiny. They said they enjoyed the condo, but being in it for 7 days straight was a bit too long to be in that small a place. Again, you can find it on VRBO.

If you want more specifics, please send me an email, and I will help you out. We highly recommend these condos, but we have not seen the RR that you have mentioned.

#33 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

I almost always rent from VRBO.com when I travel in the US and have never been disappointed. Down here, you should ask specifically about the property management deal they have going. Standard for Cozumel vacation rentals is daily maid service, free drinking water and someone on call should you have a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users