9 replies to this topic

#1 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

Try this weather site: http://www.stormpulse.com/ It is interactive. Click the buttons on the right to get clouds, models, etc. If you go there, you will see that they say that they are using NOAA tracking and they are showing the storm as being 1.7 degrees (a couple hundred miles) further North than WeatherUnderground.

My favorite storm page is: http://www.crownweat...com/?page_id=29

I like the models and mapping systems on weatherunderground, but in the last couple of years with every single storm Dr. Masters always seems giddy to give an "End of the World" scenario, so I take his blogs with a grain of salt.

A direct hit by a hurricane in any given specific location is just bad luck. But this is going to be an active year and we all know we are in the dead center of Hurricane Alley, so if you are not already prepared for hurricanes please begin preparations now.

Cozumel Diving

#2 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

never having been in a hurricane before we know about water food flash lights etc but what about the big gas tank on the roof , and do you bring in all garden furniture

#3 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:18 PM

If there is a hurricane (not TD or TS) anything not bolted or tied down will become an airborne hazard. Your water tank.....I have twin a/c units on the top of my villa and secured them by bolting diving weight belts into the building and then securing them over the a/c units. They survived Wilma with this system. You can probably secure the water tank in some similar way. There are a number of things to do to make yourself and your property safer. I suggest going to the NOAA (National Hurricane Center) hurricane preparedness page and review it. Good luck.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Cozumel Diving

#4 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Carey, didn't you have a Hurricane preparedness section on the old forum? Seems like that would be good to include again, re the above question and answer.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I've added a Hurricane Prep forum and started off the list. Let's all pitch in and give new folks as much advice as we can. We're all in this together.

#6 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

Mega was packed today, but lots of stuff available.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:51 PM

I don't see any particular need to get ready for this storm. Looks like a tropical depression or tropical storm at the worst. The mayor will cut off the booze, however. He does it earlier than any of them so far. So if you want to have that around Friday through Sunday, check your supplies.

Worst we're gonna get is some rain and a bit of wind.

#8 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

Mega was packed today, but lots of stuff available.

The winds are tracking at only 30 miles per hour, from the site I am looking at.

Carey, we had a GREAT list of things that everyone should have in stock to protect themselves.

We tried today to get ZGas out here to top our tank off, no show.

cr*p...it's to early for this.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#9 TRAVELER89

TRAVELER89

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

MEGA is just having their "annual summer sale", yes they have some very good buys if you're a good shopper. No panic buying that I saw.

T.

#10 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

MEGA is just having their "annual summer sale", yes they have some very good buys if you're a good shopper. No panic buying that I saw.

T.

Totally agree with that. The guys who help around the house, the construction workers in the neighborhood and most of the guys at the Caleta that I spoke with today didn't have any knowledge at all of 93L and they all stated that they had heard nothing of it from the government on either TV or radio. It's been my obsevation that about half the people will not board up until right before a storm.

Cozumel Diving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users