Photo

Can't get a break - except for my foot...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Snapped my fifth metatarsal (long foot bone by pinky toe) a couple days ago after slipping on a loose piece of asphalt and getting pulled by a rambunctious beagle. My sainted Dr. put me in a hard-bottomed sandal instead of a cast (God bless him!) I am able to walk, but am supposed to keep weight off as much as possible. We will be down in less than 2 weeks for 10 days and always snorkel several times daily. Dr. said to not use fins. Fins are OK for a broken/sprained ankle, but not so much for a broken foot. My question: is there any advantage to using one flipper on my uninjured foot? Or should I just go fin-less? I am a seasoned snorkeler and a strong swimmer, and staying out of the water is not an option. Any suggestions? Thanks!

#2 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Dawn, fin-less is the only way to fly.

If you only use one fin, wouldn't that make you go in circles?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#3 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

Yeah, Paula, as I am already dizzy enough... But we like to go out farther instead of staying along the shoreline. Figured if I kept injured foot still and flipped with the good one, I might get further.

Brunette moment - I will check it out in our pool!

#4 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

hitch hubby up and he can power you through the water. Just like a Dolphin ride, without the capture issues!

I know how much you like to snorkel...perhaps a small belly board would help.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#5 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

Duct tape it to your other toes. You'll be fine....

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#6 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:50 PM

Duct tape.....good for closing a wound, holding newly broken fingers together and covering a blister...why not duct tape the fin? Probably would work. If you can't do that I would recommend one fin. I have had fins break while diving and snorkeling and one fin IMHO is much better than none. I know a lot of people talk about snorkeling without fins, but I just can't get traction and certainly cannot get to the bottom without them. I know you probably won't be swimming down to the reef.
Good luck!

Cozumel Diving

#7 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:05 PM

Great ideas, all! Thanks Mike! Just look for the one-finned wonder in about 10 days. Not much to duct tape as the long bone of the foot is broken, not the toe. Though I could make a nice wrap... I will practice in the pool tomorrow. I too can't get much traction/dive down with feet alone. Of course this will make the bags lighter with one shoe, one fin...

Paula, as you know, I would be dragging hubby...

Thanks!

#8 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

the shore side currents have been kind of crazy, switching back and forth, sometimes nice and easy, other times downright brutal. a great option is to go on a glass bottom boat/snorkel tour in which the boat will follow you, therefore not really needing the kicking force as you simply float with the current and the boat picks you up.

hope your foot heals nicely and i recommend the gentle leader for the beagle. worked great with my lab until she ate it. :)
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#9 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

Thanks Nauticab! I told a friend about the one fin thing and she wondered if I would come back with one really muscular leg...

I tried two pieces of duct tape to secure the long bone to the others, just half way across the foot. Seems to work. I tried wrapping the whole foot, but I soon found that could cut off circulation. Will definitely take a roll with me. I get another X-ray in a couple of days. Duct tape is certainly a lot easier to walk in than that stupid shoe, but both more preferable than a cast!

Sidenote: I successfully used the Gentle Leader with 2 cockers and a dalmation, however, after 3 years of trying it with the beagle, I still had to drag her with it on and she would pathetically try to wipe it off in front of anyone we ran into, leading them to ask me why I had a muzzle on such a nice dog. (BTW, Gentle Leader/ Halti Collar is not a muzzle. They can still bite if so inclined). She actually does well on a retractable leash, but when she sees a rabbit, that's it. My beagle is notoriously stubborn and very strong!

Thanks for the advice!

#10 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

FYI for snorkel/scuba/visitors with broken bones (I know everyone's situation is different, but this is how I plan to enjoy our vacation):

Saw the bone doc today, X-rays still show a bad break, but not worse. He said it will be months before it heals fully, as is typical with this type of injury. He agreed that one fin on the uninjured foot is fine for snorkeling, and said swimming/snorkeling was a much better exercise than walking for my broken foot. Pain and swelling were the indicators; if I can handle it, it should be OK and not cause more harm. I asked about duct taping, and he recommended using pre-wrap first, rather than an ace bandage (which would disintegrate in salt water and probably feel pretty nasty) or duct tape alone. He felt duct tape would be hard on skin. Pre-wrap is a very thin foam tape that football players and other athletes use so regular sticky tape doesn't rip their leg hair out. No, I am not a Hobbit and don't have hair on my feet, but I tried some and it does cushion and help stabilize the broken bone.

Doc also suggested a neoprene sock, like for broken ankles, and when I told him I use neoprene booties with my fins, he thought that was a great idea. He also agreed that my Keen sandals should provide enough support to stomp around in along with the pre-wrap.

Cozumel, here we come!!!

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

CZMDM, you were totally correct with your advice. One fin beats out no fins. We were able to do our 2-3 snorkels a day and the whale shark snorkel. The pre-wrap plus waterproof athletic tape held the bones together along with the neoprene booties. No duct tape.

Thanks!

#12 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

Glad it worked. Sounds like you had a great time. Hope you make it back soon.

Cozumel Diving

#13 ku_jhawk

ku_jhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

Dawn -

How's your foot now?

#14 Nelda H

Nelda H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

You might want to also try kinesio tape or rock tape. It is used by marathon runners, triatheletes, etc. The only availability here that I am aware of is at the rahab clinic on 30th. Centro de Rehabilitacion Fisica y Ortopedica Angeles. I tore a calf muscle and cannot say enough good things about their professionalism and methods.

#15 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

Bill, it was great till I banged it into a piece of furniture. Back to the stupid boot.

Nelda, I will look for the tape, it sounds like it would work for any number of injuries.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users