3 replies to this topic

#1 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

we have a plague of huge caterpillar like things on the plants they look like bird droppings with orange mouths yuk also some smaller black and white caterpillars any ideas on getting rid natural stuff if possible

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

I hand pick caterpillars up here and either stomp 'em or drop 'em in soapy water, unless they're Monarchs or Swallowtails. Then they can eat whatever they want. Should work for south of the border critters as well. BT (bacillus thuringus) is also rec. for caterpillars - a natural bacteria that is exclusively for killing them and only them. I have great success with Pyola spray, available from Gardens Alive, for smaller pillars and Mexican Bean beetles as well as aphids, thrips, and rose slugs. It's made from pyrithrins (chrysanthemum extract) and canola oil. For bagworms, you cut the branch off and burn it.

I have saved my HUGE tomato hornworms for the neighbors, who use them as fishing bait. Talk about gross! They make a real mess when you stomp them. But the fish seem to like them.

These techniques work for me NOB.

Good luck!

#3 artgirl

artgirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:59 AM

Just a side note about island catepillars... My boyfriend and I were a the beach a few weeks ago chatting on a log, and as he had me scoot over I sat on a HUGE green catepillar with pine needle-like spikes. I swear it was like sitting on an urchin... the pain was immediate and intense. The swelling was great and itching beyond any mosquito, chigger or tick bite I've ever had. Thankfully the pain didn't last long, but the swelling took a couple days to go down and the itching lasted about a week. I've never seen such a creature before but sheesh!!!! it sure wasn't like the cute furry critters we have here in Missouri. Beachgoers... BEWARE of the poisonous green spiky catepillars!!!

#4 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:02 PM

hope its better artgirl , I will be careful where I sit now outdoors.. I made a mix of paprika , dishing washing liquid and water , sprayed on to the plant the liquid keeps the paprika in place seems to work and the little dears all dropped off ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users