3 replies to this topic

#1 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:16 AM

It's Decided. Parking Meters are coming to Downtown.

Downtown merchants have been complaining for years about the parking problems downtown where a great many local people have been parking their cars early in the day and leaving them there for 12, 16 or even longer hours thereby making it difficult for locals and tourist who want to visit downtown to find a spot for their cars.

Now the government is doing something about it. They are taking bids now for a company to do the installation and they will go in in a couple of months. Youseff Salim Achach, the public works directory acknowledged that this was something new for cozumeleņos but the quantity of vehiclese on the island was becoming a problem that needs to be controlled for the good of everyone.

Comments?

#2 2islandbums

2islandbums

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Diving/ working to get dive money.

Posted 13 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

That will take parking to whole new level on Melgar. They way people park is a joke anyway how on earth will anyone be able to park without maked spaces.
This will be fun to watch.
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.

Albert Einstein,

#3 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:31 PM

i have been saying that we need parking meters for some time now too. so many times i needed to go to the SRE offices or simply a quick stop to get something in the square that took me all of 15-20 minutes and had to pay for an hour of parking as i was in a rush and couldn't drive all over the place the find a spot.
yeah, melgar will be interesting but it will be good.... as well as some more income for the city for passing over the time limit for those who don't put in enough pesos. i for one, love the idea. many locals i have talked to agree as well.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

Progress! Praise! I remember when Cozumel got their first STOP sign, actually triple normal size and placed at the corner of Calle 4 and avenue 15. At about the same time they painted a giant STOP on the pavement of calle 11 before the intersection with avenue 65 where the pavement ended. Next sign of progress was when we got traffic signal lights. We now finally have a drive through Burger King, but I had yet to see anyone use the drive through. Parking meters would be a logical progression.

There is a real need for basic short term parking downtown. It seems that every downtown project has only complicated the situation for business. I have my doubts they can pull it off without major negative design flaws. Downtown is dying economically, lots of empty retail space that will never be viable as retail. About the only way I can see any revival is to have more offices, more governmental services and parking will be essential as well as mass transit access. The widened sidewalks look good, but eliminated a lot of parking. The saddest to be affected were the elderly still living in original homes.

If they are going to attempt to solve the parking problems with meters, I hope they can come up with a far better design plan than their track record so far.

Since the plaza is slated for a complete overhaul to be better able to accomodate large crowds, the first anticipated would be the bicentennial celebrations in September....maybe the logical solution especially if they could combine the design talents of the people that brought us the ferry pier and the Palacio park... turn the downtown plaza into a metered parking lot! They could have exits for cars pass through the Plaza Sol building.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users