• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ryanplaers

Ryanplaers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

Last year, I went to Cabo for a week. Within that time, I never used my iphone for outgoing calls, only a couple incoming calls, and emails. When I got back, AT&T told me that my bill for that month was $4,834. All due to data charges (downloading a couple large file emails). AT&T worked with me, reduced the rate and put me on a different (international) plan.

Will the same thing happen to me in Cozumel? I should leave this stupid thing at home while on vacation in paradise, but feel that I may need it for work. What are your suggestions? Thanks, Ryan Marshall.

#2 ez_stop1

ez_stop1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

I called AT&T before I went to Cozumel last visit, with my iPhone in tow, and asked about the international plan. I was told that there was 'no charge'....just needed to let them know to turn it on on their end. Then - if I made/and or received calls it would be at the international rate (something like $1.00 per minute). Don't remember exactly how much it was but you can check their website and there are tables posted with different rates for different countries. Or call. But beware - I called and talked with about 3 or 4 people before I got someone to give me the correct information. I even called back at a later date to see if I would get the same answer twice :rolleyes: But....that's just me. I ended up having the international feature turned on, but never did use it since there are free calls back to the U.S. from where we stay. Would probably be worth it since you mentioned it would be for your job anyway. That way, if they needed to get in touch with you...they could reimburse the charges incurred.

If you decide not to do this, there are several good calling stations all around downtown that are set up for you to call back to the States at a VERY reasonable cost. If you're just wanting to check in with folks back home this is a good alternative - then you won't have to bother with your phone.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

if your bring your laptop, and get Magicjack, you can receive, and make all the call you want via your computer.

We also have AT&T on our US phones, and we NEVER use them because of the high rate of receiving, and making calls.

If you use a phone from your hotel...it will be VERY expensive.

Either do MJ, go to a Calling Station, or buy a Mx cell phone and purchase a phone card (you can keep buying phone cards as long as you want) You can use the MX phone to call home, or receive calls until you run out of min's.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 Ryanplaers

Ryanplaers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. I look forward to my upcoming stay in paradise.

#5 ku_jhawk

ku_jhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

Are you staying at a Hotel with Wi-Fi? If so, just turn on the Wi-fi capabilities on your Iphone and turn off the phone/data network. You can download email or use any of the other features of the phone (except for making calls). If you need to be able to make calls, you can download skype (from the app store and it is free) to your Iphone and make calls over the internet for like .02/minute.

#6 Ryanplaers

Ryanplaers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

I didnt think about that. Thank you.

#7 Livington

Livington

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:43 PM

if your bring your laptop, and get Magicjack, you can receive, and make all the call you want via your computer.iPad2caseWe also have AT&T on our US phones, and we NEVER use them because of the high rate of receiving, and making calls.ipad 2 case leatherIf you use a phone from your hotel...it will be VERY expensive.iPad2 casesEither do MJ, go to a Calling Station, or buy a Mx cell phone and purchase a phone card (you can keep buying phone cards as long as you want) You can use the MX phone to call home, or receive calls until you run out of min's.

If you need to be able to make calls, you can download skype (from the app store and it is free) to your Iphone and make calls over the internet for like .02/min

#8 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:13 PM

I was going to ask about this too. I have verizon and I know I wont make any calls but I might use the internet on my phone. Will that charge me anything extra? I plan on going to verizon in person and asking. Just wondered if anyone had verizon on here and went to Cozumel.

#9 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:28 PM

I have Verizon. I called them and requested the Mexican plan for my Blackberry after previously receiving a hefty bill without a plan. This had been suggested on this forum. It worked! I gave them the dates, and when we returned I called them back and they turned it off. You program a code and get switched over to the Mx plan the day you leave.

#10 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

Ya I just talked to them and thats what they said. But I am planning on just turning my phone off the whole time. No need for phones when I am on vacation. It cost $30.00 for a roaming package too and I just dont think I want to pay 30.00 for 6 days.

#11 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

Actually, they prorated the plan and I was only charged for the days I used it. I didn't need the phone, I used it for the emails. Worked well for us, will def use it again!

#12 BamaGram

BamaGram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:49 AM

So Verizon prorate it for you? They didnt mention that to me on the phone. I think I might go down to the store today and talk to them personally. I will only be in Mexico for 5 full days.

#13 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:08 AM

They did it over the phone for me. Then I called when I got back and they took it off. My last Verizon bill was actually lower than previous ones - go figure!

#14 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:36 AM

In prep for my May trip I called ATT about phone service. With NO International plan, calls are $1/minute (including people calling me and leaving a voice message). I can add an 'international option' for about $6/month (and its prorated for the time I have it activated. Its going on May 9 and off May 19.) That makes the per minute charge 50cents/minute. Text messages go against my regular text message allowance (no extra costs for being in Mexico). FaceTime is still wifi to wifi so it doesn't count against network minutes (so in order to be a dutiful husband I am required to walk down the street to Wet Wendy's and use their wifi to talk with my wife daily. And hey, since I'm here I might as well have a margarita). Data charges could be a big issue (such as pressing the MAIL button outside of a wifi zone). The ATT operators showed me how set my phone settings so that connection to MAIL won't happen if I am not in a wifi area. (So many things to keep track of . . .)

#15 kansas diver

kansas diver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Diving, skiing, travel

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:06 AM

Wanted to break this out so you do not "misunderstand" how your cellphone is set.

* If you have access to free WIFI note: IF YOU ARE USING YOUR CELL PHONE!!! NORMAL CALLS ARE NOT TO BAD AS LONG AS YOU KEEP THEM SHORT. IF YOU ARE E-MAILING, TEXTING, PICS, ANYTHING DEALING WITH "DATA" MAKE SURE YOU ARE "REALLY" SET AND ON THE WI-FI. ELSE YOU WILL BE USING THE DATA SIDE OF THE CELLPHONE NETWORK LIKE YOU DO IN THE STATES!! Discovered this the EXPENSIVE way when we got home. Daughter's phone was not set to WI-FI like we thought it was. Lets say I could have paid for 6 - 2 tank dives, you do the math. BOYFRIENDS !@#$)(**(&%&$^+*(^)&*.

AND YES I AM YELLING!!!!!!!! LOL

#16 budaman

budaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

To eliminate unwanted data charges...
1) Settings > WiFi: ON
2) Settings > General > Network > Data Roaming: Off

With these settings, anytime your in a WiFi area that you can connect to, you have full access to your mail & internet without worrying about excess charges above your normal rates.

On phone calls, if you have the AT & T Intl. plan, your IPhone should automatically connect to Telcel.

Mike

#17 ericadawn

ericadawn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:49 PM

Thanks so much for all this good info! This is something I seriously hadn't even thought about yet & we're leaving for Cozumel in a week. I guess we haven't left the country since we got smart phones, but we're so addicted to them we'll definitely be on them for the internet & texting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users