• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mawvky

mawvky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

How much does el nortes affect activities in Dec.? Beach activities? What is it like? How often is it a problem? I will be there mid-December. Thanks!

#2 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

It totally varies. But we had something like 47 nortes??? starting in November and ending in March this last season. Which is a huge amount more than normal. There is simply no way to predict them. You could get a week of perfect weather -- indeed, my parents were here for 3 weeks in December two years ago and not a single norte -- or you might hit a rough patch with some wind and a bit of rain.

#3 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:08 PM

if anybody can predict the weather, could you lay down some bucks on roulette for me in Vegas?

I truly do not understand, why ask 5 months in advance what the weather MIGHT be.

It might rain today (I can hope) and if it does, it will spoil somebody's vacation.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#4 nascarcharchar

nascarcharchar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Boating, Nascar, Golf, PBR Bullriding (Not Myself, just on TV), Cooking

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

We go every year in December. I always take a couple of leggings and a light sweater for the evening just in case. If it is too cool to lay out rent a car and go to the wild side of the island. That is what we do.

#5 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:58 PM

I don't see anything wrong with you being excited about your trip and wanting to know about Nortes. That type of weather, though unpredictable, is seasonal. Nortes are fronts that result from cold fronts passing down from the North American continent. They are really usually moving out of the NNE, but can be directly out of the North. 2010 the entire month of January was just about one big Norte. However that does not mean that there will be any Nortes this Jan.. Accu-weather has great information on frontal systems moving across the USA. Whe your trip gets close you can follow this systems and with a weather map it is very easy to see the systems moving towards the island (if any). My facebook page also has daily weather and port conditions, including hurricane and winter storm information.

Cozumel Diving

#6 mawvky

mawvky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for the nice replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users