26 replies to this topic

#1 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

Hi there,

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone to clean out my cistern and rotoplas tank on the roof? I just moved in March, and it doesn't look like either have been cleaned or flushed out in a while.

Thanks in advance!

#2 miral13

miral13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

Hi there,

Does anyone have a recommendation for someone to clean out my cistern and rotoplas tank on the roof? I just moved in March, and it doesn't look like either have been cleaned or flushed out in a while.

Thanks in advance!

I used Ingeniero Pedro Chavez. He maintains pools but he knows how to apply chemicals to clean the cisternas. He does not speak English. His cell is 044-987-113-7183. Tell him Alberto Gonzalez referred you.

#3 Guest_jenster101_*

Guest_jenster101_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:54 PM

We just had ours cleaned by Mario.....$400 pesos. His # 987-112-4353. He is a great guy and speaks English.

#4 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

Do either of these guys get in the cistern and rake out the muck? That's the kind of cleaning we need.

#5 jenster101

jenster101

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

Yes, Mario gets in the cistern and gives it a full cleaning.

#6 pato52

pato52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

Yes, Mario gets in the cistern and gives it a full cleaning.

Our tank only has about 1.5 feet of clearance. Mario must be tiny! :rolleyes:

#7 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:39 PM

Our tank only has about 1.5 feet of clearance. Mario must be tiny! :rolleyes:

I would recommend Mario, also. He's the only one who ever does any electrical or plumbing related work on my two houses and he's a good friend of mine, as well -- over 10 years now.

He's not tiny. Typical strong, broad-shouldered and not tall Mayan man.

If your tank has that little amount of clearance, you may want to consider having it replaced with something that is easier to clean out. I'm sure he could get a kid to go down there. But how good a job would a child do? Call him and he'll come take a look and advise you honestly if he can figure out how to do it. Or if he says you should get a new tank, you should think about that.

Many times he's called in to look at ooooolllld houses that were wired atrociously -- so bad, some of them, that the pesos are just flying out the door due to the extreme faultiness of the wiring. He always tells people like this that they had just better find the money, bite the bullet and start from scratch with a rewire. It's the only way to correct a bad problem started by someone else and probably a loooooonnnnnng time ago.

I expect the same situation would hold true of some of these older plumbing jobbies one finds all over town. As one example, almost no older construction has built in P traps in the showers, a feature that is considered base line in any US home.

#8 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

you would be amazed at how they can get one of their adult helpers to clean out a cistern. i used to live in a house that had small clearance too and they got it out.
400 seems fair. 300 is better. there are plenty of albaniles who do this on a regular basis.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#9 miral13

miral13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

The Ing. Chavez has one of his workers get into the cisterna. Not a pleasant task getting the muck out. Sounds though that Mario gives the better price.

#10 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

The good workers just dive into any task and get it done. I have nothing but the greatest of admiration for the Mexican work ethic. They are highly resourceful and they like a good challenge. This is not to say every single worker is like that, needless to say. But I can't say that I have ever personally seen a lazy, shiftless workman on my compound. I had an talented but somewhat incompetent 'arci' for a time and a totally corrupt maestro of works for another time. But those were supervisory positions. The guys that get down and do the grub work -- as I said, they are the best!

#11 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:51 AM

Nauti Who have you used that does it for 300?

#12 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:52 AM

why do cisterna need cleaned?

Isn't a cisterna a constant flow of water through them?

Is it mineral build up?

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#13 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

oh yuck, cisterns definitely need cleaning. after a while muck builds up. it is not a constant flow of water, but instead a reservior and any trash that finds it way in, stays. i lived in a house once that had a large cistern that was flooded after wilma. he scooped out, literally, 7 cubetas (giant paint buckets) of solid mud, pvc pipes, trash, bugs galore, etc etc.
granted that was after wilma, but they do collect stuff, just like a tinaco collects junk at the bottom that needs to be cleaned out.
my roof is set up to collect rain water to feed my cistern, but junk will still find its way in.
i will ask my maestro de obra how much he or his crew will charge for cleaning a cistern and post results and contact info within a day or two.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#14 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

price will depend on how big, how dirty, and how deep. if it is smaller (height wise), you will need one guy outside and one in to help with the process. for a full deep cleaning, you may need 2 days which will be the salary of 2 chalanes (albanil assistants) which is $300 pesos a day, or $600 pesos. if only 1 day, well, half it.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av

#15 GringaErin

GringaErin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

Mario and his crew did a great job. They were here for 2 days, I paid 500 pesos (including tip). If you could have seen the cr*p that they were scooping out, you wouldn't be wondering why it needs to be cleaned - NASTY. Mario said it should be done once a year.

#16 Coz_Aholic

Coz_Aholic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Diving, Fishing, and of course FAMILY!

Author of Cozumel The Complete Guide II

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

Nauti

Do you have a phone for your man? Does he speak english or do I need my nephew to call in Spanish?

#17 luvfish

luvfish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

Hi to ALL. I needed to have my sistern cleaned and looked to see who was recommened. I saw that there were a few people who recommended MARIO. I called him and he said the price would be $400p for the 2 tanks. Then i asked him how much more to put in the elect pump for the water. He said the part would cost 180p aprox and then 100p more for work. I agreed and he came with his helper to do the cleanning the next day. He said he would be back the following day with electrician to finish what had to be done. Next day they came and within 10min I heard a bang noise and they forgot to open the valve on the water heater and the pressure from the air that they were putting through via airpressure machine made my hot water-heater no-longer any good. When i went outside to talk to Mario he said sorry he made a mistake. I went back in the house and waited to see what he was going to say to me. He then left and came back and I asked him Now what???? My water heater was old but in good working condition but I said I would be willing to split the cost with him and he could install. I went to every place i could think=of to get the best price. When I returned and told him The price was 1,678p he was upset. He left and said he would install the following day. I then called him the next day to ask what time and he said late afternoon. They installed it and everything was working fine.I also paid for the electric part so I only owed Mario 500p.(which doesn"t equal half) but the next day he came saying he ended up working for free and wanted to know if I could pay him and I told him he didn't even pay half and IT WAS HIS MISTAKE, so I wouldn't recommend MARIO TO ANYONE

#18 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

LuvFish

Well, this doesn’t sound like the Mario I know. So I called to get his side of the story.

He said the original deal was $580 pesos to clean out the two tanks and to replace some valves or a valve. Then you husband also asked that a new electric float be installed which brought the total price up to close to $800 pesos

The cistern tanks were in terrible shape once they got in there, he said – full of sediment. It took 2 men 10 hours over a two day period to clean out everything and do the other plumbing requested.

In the process, Mario noticed that the line to what he described as an old water tank was also seriously clogged with the same sediment. There was no choice but to clean this out as well if the water heater was to continue to function. So he decided, on his own initiative, to use a compressor (not a high-pressure dive tank as is often used for this work) to clear this line because it was completely obvious to him that it would need to be done. In the process of cleaning this line, the old water tank blew.

The mistake to which he admitted was that he should have informed you in advance that this new work was completely necessary, he wasn't going to charge you extra for it but it would have to be done. And also that there was some chance, due to the fact that the pipe was so filthy and clogged, that it might get the old water heater. Instead, he just went ahead with the work on his own initiative, hoping for the best. (Personal note from Carey: That’s just the way Mario is. If he sees a problem that he knows needs to be fixed, he gets very one track about it and won’t stop until things are as they should be.)

When the old tank blew in the process of cleaning the pipe, you told him he would have to pay for half of a new water tank, an amount that more or less equalled what you owed him for his work. Meanwhile, you went and purchased a new water heater.

The water heater was delivered to the wrong address and Mario made a special trip to the store, tracked down the merchandise and got it to your house. He installed the new one for free and also paid for the parts to do so feeling that this was a fair recompense for what had happened.

However, you refused to pay him any money whatsoever saying you were even and to go away.

Mario says this is the first time in 23 years that he has had an altercation like this and he is seriously considering taking you to PROFECO.

So that’s Mario’s side of this story just to even the playing field since he is far from internet savvy.

I would like to add that you got 20 hours of labor – 10 hours x 2 men – doing a very nasty, back-breaking job for around $65 US. Do you have any idea what you would pay for that kind of work in the US. $65 would be about what you’d pay when the clock started ticking as the plumber pulled up at your front door.

#19 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:50 AM

Mario recently did our cistern and tinaco too and did an excellent job. 600 pesos for both but we gave him 700 as we felt he deserved it. While he was up on the roof he found there was a pressure tank that was not functioning and it was not secured to the roof and so he brought it down ... pump and all.. because he thought it could become a projectile if there was a storm. He didn't have to do that and could have left it alone but it showed he was concerned for us and those around us...

#20 jenster101

jenster101

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

I too have only have good things to say about Mario. He has done quite a bit of work at our house and we have never had a problem. As Carey and Linkslady have stated, Mario goes above and beyond what is required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users