• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 two ladies & a guy

two ladies & a guy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Hi i was out with my dog last night an saw a snake it looked like it was brown could anyone let me know what kind of snakes are here? thanks for your help

#2 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

If it was brown it might be most common snake I have seen on the island.
Were you by chance anywhere near the airport, grocery store or in a public place?
If so it might have been the all too common "Timeshare snake" that you saw. If confronted by one it is best to lay down and pretend you are dead, however make sure to lay on your wallet.....

#3 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:32 AM

That was a GOOD one, cozumelwantabe! Bravo! Posted Image

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#4 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

That was a GOOD one, cozumelwantabe! Bravo! Posted Image

That was funny!

Snakes aren't a big problem here unless you live out in the jungle in which case you might run into some pythons that like to kill small pets. I live in centro in a place that has a large garden. We have plenty of iguanas and other lizards and once we even had a tortoise. But I've never seen a snake in 10 years, personally. Maybe if I trampled around and beat the bushes with a stick on the vacant lot next door I might rouse one, however. But I've never heard of snakes being much of a problem on the island.

#5 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

Living in the jungle, I see very few snakes (TG).

We have a limited food source compared to town with easy access to food. The biggest food source for snakes are mice, rats, birds, eggs (as in if you have chickens) and iguanas.

After the hurricanes, we saw a dramatic reduction out here in Boas in particular, which pleased me very much. Once in a while we'll see a black racer, or a Corn snake (which looks like a boa)...but seldom.

I wouldn't count on the notion that snakes aren't in town, my guess is you have more then you can imagine.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#6 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

I wouldn't count on the notion that snakes aren't in town, my guess is you have more then you can imagine.

You're probably right about snakes in town. But I've never ever seen one. I think, like in the Blue Ridge Mtns, people are afraid of all snakes and so they automatically kill every one they see quickly and rabidly even though almost all of them are harmless. What do we have that's dangerous here in the snake department? Do we have the Fer de lance? I know I didn't spell that right? I think we have coral snakes. Those are the only two poisonous tropical snakes I can think of and I believe they're both very reclusive as in you'd have to go looking for them to see them most of the time.

Who knows more about this? Charles does, I'm sure. But it could be awhile before he sees this.

#7 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:34 AM

I have HEARD someone say that they SAW a Coral Snake, but there is also a "fake" coral snake. We had them when we lived in Fla.

Unless a venomous snake was brought here (by person, or cargo) they do not like salt water, and it would have been a LONG swim.

The most important thing in life is not knowing everything, it's having the phone number of somebody who does!

Anonymous

#8 mslf500

mslf500

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 875 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, Diving, Spearfishing, Driving Formula Cars really fast, Mountain biking.

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

I judge how many snakes there are, by how many dead ones I see on the roads. I've never seen a dead one in Coz. Crabs and iguanas? Yes. Snakes never.

www.CozumelCondominium.com
Nah Ha 602

#9 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

when i lived in corpus i had about 3 or 4, if not more, in my yard, including the mom with her babies. scooped them up and dumped them in the monte in front of my house where my dogs wouldn't get to them.
now that i'm back in maravilla, i have had possum, many huge iguanas (3 had their last visit in my yard due to my vicious labs), tarantulas, lots of scorpions, a vinegrillo (look this one up and you may freak out), and my famous male peacock.
life is always interesting.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#10 Nelda H

Nelda H

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:45 PM

Living across from Parque Hundido provides me with the opportunity for many up close and personal encounters with snakes, iguanas, crabs, scorpions, and more. I don't ask for race, religion, or identification papers of the snake population but my cats and dog think anything that crawls or slithers is great entertainment. Research tells me that there are no poisonous snakes on this island and I choose to believe that. Nauticab, if I ever see that strange animal that you mentioned, I am moving!

#11 diverdicozumel

diverdicozumel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Travel, Culture, Rotary, Real Estate,Food,
    Great People

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

Living across from Parque Hundido provides me with the opportunity for many up close and personal encounters with snakes, iguanas, crabs, scorpions, and more. I don't ask for race, religion, or identification papers of the snake population but my cats and dog think anything that crawls or slithers is great entertainment. Research tells me that there are no poisonous snakes on this island and I choose to believe that. Nauticab, if I ever see that strange animal that you mentioned, I am moving!

#12 diverdicozumel

diverdicozumel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Travel, Culture, Rotary, Real Estate,Food,
    Great People

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

North, in Country Club Estates, we have had snakes my neighbors call "whip snakes" skinny, maybe 8 inches long. I am told harmless. However, the scorpions! Tarantulas! Mosquitos! I'll take the whip snake anytime.

#13 cozumelwantabe

cozumelwantabe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

Vinegrillo/ Vinagrillo, YIKES!!
That looks like my EX-mother in law..
First the salt water croc's on the North side now this... I guess I better stay inside and drink!!
Can anyone tell me what was up with all the Crabs crossing the road by the airport landing strip back around July 4th-6th?
We were coming home from dinner in town and tons of cars were parked on the side of the road while we did the crab shuffle to the left, then to the right, back to the left, around the tree... O.K. you get the point...

#14 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:23 AM

Oh my God, it is down right scary on land, thank goodness I rarely go in the water, there are countless things that can get you there. On land with a big stick, I have a fighting chance.

Snakes? As far as I know, there is nothing poisonous to humans on the island. I think a coral snake was mentioned at Trudy's on the mainland. I believe one snake species is poisonous to its prey, but since they are only six inches in adult size, couldn't pose a risk if you could stick the tip of your tongue in its mouth.

Lots of boas downtown, they keep the rodent and feral cat population in check. I have seen dozens and dozens of dead snakes along the airport road, but surprisingly few live ones. I'd say never venture outside, but I once found a baby snake INSIDE my hotel room downtown. It was alive, fierce and when stretched out, was almost two full inches in length. It wasn't easy to catch as too small to pick up. I bravely captured it with sliding a dollar bill under and getting it into a plastic cup to release in the garden.

The boa population which is all attributed to a group of five released after filming a movie... I have heard that many people used to bring boas to the islands as pets from the mainland and as they grew, they escaped or were turned loose when their novelty wore off. They have become well established and an invasionary species. The biggest one I have seen was less than six feet in length and I believe that is as big as these get. With real mixed feelings, I followed old habits, stopped the car and got it off the highway and into the woods. That was on avenue 65 close to Platino's and it might have been better for the environment to have let it been run over.

I do kill scorpions when I find them, but do my best to get spiders out of the house unharmed. I am thrilled when I get to see a tarantula. Tarantulas inside I catch and try to release in a good potential habitat. There was a recent discussion on a Cozumel related forum of people that are petrified of seeing a snake or any of the creepy, crawly things. I feel sorry for anyone that carries such a phobia. Most are harmless and the ones that aren't are generally minding their own business. Personally, I have only seen one Fer de Lance in the wild (Costa Rica) and haven't encountered a Bushmaster, the most aggressive of pit vipers. I have had close encounters with probably a couple of thousand rattlesnakes and water moccasins (they're nasty) over the years and as long as you don't mess with them, they won't bother you.

Now in the ocean, there are all kinds of things to get you, some things that could make you a quick meal, other things so small you won't see them until you feel them. Anyone want to try Australia, the place with the most concentrated variety of deadly things on land and in the sea.

#15 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

For spiders, I keep a squirt gun handy. It works pretty well in "herding" them out the door.

I do hate it when a Tarantula is on my bed!

Anonymous

#16 guitarist

guitarist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Interests:music, family history research, gardening

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:16 AM

oh dear P aula I would have to book a flight home ...I have only seen one so far on the road when walking hershey and humphrey but the dogs have never ran so fast as I made a dash for home .. we had a snake in the garden recently plain brown in colour I just put him in a bucket and took him to the front of the house and he slithered off we live in ave 15 ...must look up the vinegrillo hope it doesnt freek me out ..caught a great fish last evening with my line attached to a bottle it was blue and green transclu so pretty I put him back in the ocean I have an identification card but he wasnt on there.

#17 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

It's not the Tarantulas that I'm afraid of. It's snakes that will get me doing Spiderman up the walls. Some how I instantly develop Geco fingers...

I had to look up Vinegrillo, and hope I don't run into those. It looks like a cross between a scorpion with crab pincher, and a whip tail.

I have many squirt guns positioned around the house. Weapon of choice, locked and loaded.

Anonymous

#18 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:41 PM

sorry to bring this back up, but I have never read 40 posts of complete STUPIDITY in my life on TA in regards to snakes (most of the misinformation was coming from Experts)...

No snakes in town, no snakes at the resorts, no snakes, spiders to scare the tourist. They are invisible, they only live in the jungle, they can not cross any boarders.

Your a tourist, so we have banished all things that might scare you.

Are people REALLY this stupid?

But, then again I have been asked where the bridge was to get to Cancun!

Guess I'll add this to my "things that get me jaded"

Anonymous

#19 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

Lions and tigers and bears, oh MY
Lions and Tigers and BEARS, OHHHH MYYYY!!!!

#20 Coz2wonder

Coz2wonder

Guru

• Members
  • 5,617 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:37 PM

Ya, I figured most folks through I was just being a "itch" again...but there are just sometimes that stupid just gets under your skin.

Anybody who reads Carol Mc blog know that she has a snake under her stove, a week or so ago.

Carol is city central...that was a big butt snake too.

Shoot, I would have called the police. Which I did when I lived in Stuart, Fla. I had a Coral Snake on my patio, the local cop showed up, with his gun drawn.

I said, you might not want to shoot that snake on concrete, it will ricochet, and kill you.

I handed him a broom.

I can report, snake, and cop are well.

Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users