• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

Local friends introduced me to some cantinas this trip that welcome women and serve botanas or snacks. Order a cold beer (or soda) and you're in.

• El Fish on the corner of 8 North and 10
  • El Pioline on the corner of 3 South and 15
  • Las Boyas just up the block on 3 from El Pioline
  • El Gato Negro on 6 North near 20th.
  • One directly behind the San Francisco Market on 30th & Juarez. I didn't get the name of this one (it's on 25th) but it had a very nice manager, Don Manual, and had 2 rooms = one for the men so they could be rowdy together and one for "families". If it says "familiar" on the front women are welcome. I was surprised at the number of local ladies I saw in these places... girlfriends going out to chat and have a beer. It's not just us shameless Americanas. :D
There are many, many others. Our dive boat captain mentioned Las Recuerdas but I never found it. Las Boyas and El Gato Negro had live bands. They are noisy and fun and make for some great people watching. Usually the snacks start around 1 or 2 and go till 5-ish. The World Cup games were going on and at times these places were jammed.

The botanas were welcome and intriguing. They included sliced cucumbers, mini sausages and other meats, refried beans & chips, conch ceviche, fish ceviche, spicy potatoes, nachos & salsa, chicken wings, a fish, green pea & mayo dish and once a plate of enchiladas. Served with toothpicks for a bite-sized bite. The more beer you order, the more food shows up. The bottles are usually left on the table for the final tally. At Gato Negro, a local group of men came in with a fish for the kitchen to cook. As they were sitting next to our table I asked them in my bad Spanish about their catch. They were happy with their good day, wanting to talk about it and ended up sharing their abundance with our table to the point I went home with a doggy bag!

My local friend said to me more than once: "This is the real Cozumel. Tourists don't come here". Without a doubt I was welcomed and encouraged to come back. Check it out... and please post about others you know.

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#2 TERRY7133

TERRY7133

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

El Gato Negro is my favorite .I have always felt welcome and safe there.

#3 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

We've been to el Gato Negro and Las Boyas too.. enjoy going with a group...

#4 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:46 AM

Las Boyas & Gato Negro are my favorites. I like Las Boyas better than Gato Negro. Gato Negro has some of the coolest and weirdest t-shirts on the island.

Cozumel Diving

#5 dos margaritas

dos margaritas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

Las Tortugas also has botanas, or they did when we went a few months ago. We were the only non-locals that day so we didn't catch on until late in the game, but it was great!

#6 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

More spots to add to the list!

Las Tortugas - What is the location, Margaritas?

Posted on another thread here by Richard W (Rechard)
"but for sure its... the Jungla...to start with Copacabana for sure".
Locations?

Posted by Steve (Chef and Trip Report Writer extraordinaire) on another forum:
"I've been to most places on the island but my favorite is La Yucatequita. On 10th. about 2 blocks north of Chedraui on the east side of the street. Look for a short palapa overhang".

And where is that Recuerdos my dive boat capitan mentioned? Will have fun looking for them next time I visit. This is my version of GeoCaching. (Geocaching is a treasure hunting game where you use a GPS to hide and seek containers with other participants).

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#7 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:36 PM

recuerdo is on the corner of 45 (or so) and juarez, on the north side of the street.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#8 Linkslady

Linkslady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:30 AM

Las Tortugas (the one owned by Adrian's brother) is on 30th close to 21. We haven't had the botanas there .. yet.. but did have some delicious fajitas last week!

#9 jenster101

jenster101

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

Las Tortugas has some of the best chicken fajitas on the island.....and the margartias are really good too!

#10 tropicalgirl2

tropicalgirl2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 04:12 PM

We go to Los Tortugas most everytime we are on the island since we discovered the botanas years ago. They have great margaritas, some of the best I've found and the snacks are fun. Some are really good, some kinda scarry, but I try them all. We are always the only Americans there, but they are always friendly to us and we enjoy the people watching.

Thanks for the list of bars on this post. I want to try at least a couple of them this time. Can't wait to get there this Friday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users