Single Male...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_captnpat_*

Guest_captnpat_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:49 PM

... Not what you think. Happily married with a big ring in the nose..lol

but serious, on our last trip, my wife and I did the Resort dive. I have fallen in love all over again. Gonna get certified before the next trip. The wife did not care for diving as much as I did, so I am going to be diving stag while she sits ashore and drinks margaritas...

Question: Are there other stag divers like myself that I can dive with, or do most divers already have dive buddies? Will the dive operators try to pair up single divers, or am I on my own?

Just Curious!

#2 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:59 AM

My experience is that the dive op is always able to make sure you have a dive buddy. There have been several times where I want to dive 5 days but my dive buddy want to skip a day or two. Sometimes there are other 'singles' diving and you buddy with them. Sometimes you buddy with the dive guide since in Coz they always have a dive guide in the water with you (or at least that is my experience). Let you dive operator know ahead of time that you need to have a dive buddy and they will take care of it. Good luck!

#3 coloradotyedye

coloradotyedye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving
    Skiing
    Fly Fishing
    Music Music Music
    Travel
    FUN!!!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:34 AM

My experience in Cozumel diving many, many times by myself is that the dive master will buddy with you and you just stay within a reasonable contact distance with him. In general with drift diving everyone looks out for everyone else because you want to keep the group all at the same level so you drift at the same speed and nobody loses contact with the group. Since you will be a new diver the dive master will have eyes on you. Relax, enjoy and the more Zen you can bring to your experience the more fun you will have!!!

#4 Guest_captnpat_*

Guest_captnpat_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

Thanks ya'll. I know I will enjoy the experience, just wish
I took up the sport 30 yrs ago.

Captnpat

#5 ccannon707

ccannon707

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

My husband doesn't dive + I travel to Coz sola so I'm never coupled up on the dive boat. As the Dive Master is also looking out for all the other divers it can be a good idea to suggest being buddies to another solo diver on the boat as well. The buddy thing is pretty loose though as another poster observed. If you are on a small boat (8 or less divers) your group more or less stays together and everybody usually watches out for the others. The main thing is to watch your Dive Master - be aware of where he is, what he's doing and at what level. If you're a newbie stay up towards the front of the group near them. Observing the dive master will also give you a good model of how to conduct yourself underwater in Cozumel's drift dive environment. When I was a newbie I used to thrash my arms and legs around something awful. But through practice and observation I am now calm and collected. You use less air that way - and can stay down longer. Be aware of this though - Cozumel Diving can be addictive! :)

...Christine

I drink to forget, but I eat to remember.... so it all balances out

.· `·. ><((((º> .· `·. <º))))>< ,·. ..· `·. .· `·. <º))))>< .· `·.

#6 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

Contact ku_jhawk, our friend Bill, who is a seasoned stag diver and member of this forum. He has had some wonderful dive experiences on Coz which I am sure he would be happy to share.

#7 ku_jhawk

ku_jhawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:50 PM

I thought I felt my ears burning....

Hmm.... stag.... I'm not sure I like how that sounds :).

Yes, I can attest to Cozumel being a great place to dive without having a built-in dive buddy. With my dive op, we don't really "pair up" - everybody just stays together as a group. Since the "good dives" really require a boat and a DM, not having a dive buddy has never really been a problem. You'll do just fine.

#8 KiBanda Carl

KiBanda Carl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Weight training, hockey, snowboarding, hiking

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

As an fyi, if you would like to join a liveaboard to Cozumel and up the coast, my link will provide you info on the 'Moon Diver' which is the only liveaboard to not charge a single supplement if you are a budget conscious diver who is happy to stay in a standard room with 4 single bunks and it's own washroom. Other than the sleeping accommodations, the rest of the trip is the same great experience for everyone on board.

#9 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

If you are single, especially in a small group, you are in a way buddied with the entire group. Due to the current divers are instructed to stay together and not stray. If it makes you more comfortable buddy up with a single diver or even with a pair of divers. The current at times can be really fast, but 99.99999% of the time if you just hang with the group and never lag too far behind the DM you will be ok.

Have fun. You are going to have a blast.

Cozumel Diving

#10 GaryM

GaryM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Scuba, motorcycles, shooting, sailing, ATVs

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

My wife doesn't dive either and I almost always go out by myself. The DM always assigns me a insta-buddy but it really doesn't matter seeing as the dives are more of a group thing.
Yeah, it isn't as nice as having a friend with you but it still is an awesome thing.
Damnit, youth really is wasted on the young...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users