Artist Shade/Umbrella

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DanB

DanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:Dan:history/culture;scuba diving;photography;music; Claudia:artist

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:43 PM

Hi all: My wife is an artist and wants to set up her easel along a beach or the plaza (or anywhere) and have her canvas and easel shaded while she paints. She recently bought an "easel umbrella" but when it arrived we realized it would not fit into our luggage and would have to checked as a separate piece (costing perhaps $50 in luggage fees there and back). Is there anything like this we could buy while on the island? Its the size of a golf umbrella but it has to be completely white so that the color of the fabric doesn't screw with the color of the paints on the canvas while she's painting. Any ideas? We arrive next Saturday (Feb 20). Thanks.

#2 CZMDM

CZMDM

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:15 PM

Unless you buy a patio set, where the table has a large umbrella, the only thing I have seen are the small beach umbrellas that you stick in the sand. They are kind of small, but if you could make a stand for one they might work.

Cozumel Diving

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

I would definitely cough it up for the excess luggage and bring exactly what you need. You'll never find it here. I'll be a lot of money you won't and she'll be missing it the whole time.

#4 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

If it is an umbrella, is there any way to have it as a carry on that the crew sicks in a closet during the flight? I have seen various hiking sticks (that could be considered weapons) carried on board and other lengthy objects that couldn't fit in a suitcase. There must be some provision for crutches too for example. I'd try to check with the airline, maybe claim medically needed from sun sensitivity. As long as the volume is small, you might get away with it. Besides the cost, you'd need to really package it to arrive undamaged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users