4 replies to this topic

#1 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

today we went to xel-ha. crossed at 7am to be there before 9am. with a cozumel drivers license or FM2 FM3 or a credencial elector, cozumel residents get a HUGE discount. regular adult admission is $79usd. with the local discount it is only $289 pesos per person!
bus ride is about 40 minutes and costs 58 pesos each way per person.
the $289 pesos covers: entrance, lockers, towels, use of snorkel equipment (refundable deposit of $300 pesos per set), single and double tubes for the river, all the food and drink you want, including margaritas (quite good) and pina coladas and water. clean showers, changing rooms, bathrooms. beautiful walking trail and nature at its finest.
you can go in the river as many times as you want, explore the mayan cave, tube thru the mangroves, etc. the food was absolutely delish. really. best buffet food i think i have ever had.
extra fees are for the dolphin and manatee tours, seatrek, and snuba in the caverns. other than the park entrance fee and the souvenir pix (13usd), we spent absolutely NOTHING.
park closes at 7pm. we left at 6, caught the 6pm bus, and we were casually on time for the 7pm ferry. the kid.....pooped out.

fantastic day, lots of fun, and a super super deal. they take credit cards. highly recommended.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#2 dawnb

dawnb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:Snorkeling, cooking, gardening, jewelry making, reading

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:46 AM

That sounds fantastic! We own property in Coz and have a corporation, but no FM or drivers license and we live in the States. Would we qualify for the discount? Also, are the dolphins and manatees captive or wild?

Thanks Nauticab!

#3 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

A couple of years ago LInda Staton told me she went over there with her FM3 visa and other forms of ID and they wouldn't give her the discount. Either that's changed or you got in at that price because you're a Mexican National. It also may be that FM3's get some kind of discount but not nearly as much as Mexican Nationals. I'll bet that INPAM senior card or whatever it's called would help, however.

That's what's kept me from going over there. It's a bit of a trek and it would raise my blood pressure to get there and discover they weren't going to give me the good deal. Anyone actually gotten in at the locals price who wasn't a Mexican National?

#4 nauticab

nauticab

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

i only showed my drivers license and so did alex. we did NOT show credential elector or passport or anything else. they had no reason to think i was a mexican, but did NOT ask for any other id. (i am a mexican citizen by naturalization, but am blond, tall and medium to fair skinned....)
xel-ha is Cozumel property, so cozumel RESIDENTS get the discount greater than anyone else living in quintana roo. well worth the visit.
the manatees and dolphins are captive. there are other wild creatures you may see on the paths which roam free.
Cabrilla's Sport Center
Calle 11 % Melgar y 10av
Edificio Portales, Local 1
Dressing Fishermen and Triathletes from Head to Toe

#5 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

That's great news! I know about Cozumel owning Xel Ha but can't remember why. Can anyone elucidate.

Still I do remember clearly that Linda got all the way over there with plenty of credentials showing she owned a house on the island and they still wouldn't give them the discount. This was a few years ago, admittedly, but it's the big reason I've never gone to this place. It would really tick me off to get all the way over there only to find out I was going to be burned with the gringo tax.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users