#21 Carey

Carey

Guru

• Members
  • 14,204 posts
  • Interests:reading, singing, movies, family & friends, good food, travel

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

Fran

I will be visiting my parents in Orange County, CA for 3 weeks beginning March 10. If you would like the send the ring to me to bring back, I'll get together with Diva and Charles and we'll get that baby in to PROFECO for you. Email me if you want that address. Send it insured, needless to say.

Charles's advice about asking for a supervisor at VISA is a good one. Surely they have instances where stores go out of business and you should be covered for that. Tell them you are still trying to track down the jewelery store which seems to have slunk back into a rat hole and have several local people working on it for you. But seems to have disppeared and what do they suggest you do about it.

No point in approaching PROFECO if the store isn't there any more. It's prolly somewhere alright most likely using a different name. So it would be real tough to track it down but I'm assuming PROFECO has access to gov documents that could look at the business name and see what's going on with it??

#22 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:02 PM

Fran,

Email me the Profeco form and I'll take it directly to their office. If you have the appraisal now, email me that, too.

karen@creationsdelmar.com

#23 Kandy

Kandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Interests:Enjoying retired life!

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

I'm guessing that I'm one of DivaDiver's friends that she mentioned would be coming down in March. We leave after work on Thursday, 3/11 for Houston, then fly out on Friday. I would be MORE than happy to take the jewelry with me if you can mail it to me Fran. Send me an e-mail and I'll give you my mailing address, no problem!Posted Image

Kandy
Living the Dream in Cozumel

#24 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, nursing,pet lover

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

Kandy,
This is Fran. I should have the official appraisal from the jewelers in Slidell, La. Thursday. To date still no answer from Profeco, however I did keep a copy of what I emailed them more than 2 weeks ago. Its going to be VERY interesting to see what VISA does, even with the official appraisal. I intend to call and ask to speak with a supervisor as Charles suggested, and see if they understand the stupidity and impossibility of sending the jewelry back by mail. A couple of people have suggested I send the jewelry and documents to them and they will bring it to PROFECO in Cozumel once they return. How kind people are !. I only hope that VISA will be satisfied with this and continue not to pay the $800.00 charge on our card. I doubt seriously if we ever recover the $340 we gave in cash, plus the $115.00 for the appraisal. The jeweler did tell me that not even the ring is gold, it is sterling silver and everything else is fake. Please send your address and I will keep you informed.
Thanks,
Fran Yates

#25 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:48 PM

Divadiver,
This is Fran. I have a hard copy of the filled out PROFECO form, but I am not sure if I know how to email it to you, as if I recall correctly, it only went back to them. I could however mail it to you in Cozumel or send it to you stateside. Either way let me know.
Fran

#26 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

The last situation like this was resolved from sending the merchandise to someone to bring it down. That is about the only way to get anything here is to send it to someone to hand carry down, as shipping anything is somewhere in between impractical and impossible.

If the metal is silver and is not stamped, that in itself is a violation. The complaint that I assisted in by translating for a lady to the PROFECO lawyers, was gold most likely (it felt right) and the lack of a stamp indicating 14K was reason enough to merit a complete refund.

If I am on the island, I would be happy to participate in talking to PROFECO. They have a lady as one of the attorneys who speaks good English. I am more than comfortable talking in Spanish, but this will be a good opportunity to ask her questions in English that she might not wish other staff members to hear the questions nor the answers. I will try to get confirmation that they are not in business and if it is known where they are. It may be they just moved and changed the name on the outside. PROFECO has a duty and responsibility to handle this complaint even if it might involve friends of politicians. About 90% of the jewelers here sell legitimate merchandise, many have the reputation of grossly overcharging a fair market price, but at least the merchandise is what is stated. The "honest" jewelers have been frustrated by the situation allowed to exist as a hand full of crooks gives the whole island, not just the jewelry trade a bad name.

Make sure when you send things, include copies of everything, the original complaint form, all papers from the store etc. I take pride in being able to ask questions that will make them sweat. We may not be able to recover everything, but be absolutely insistent with Visa on your end. If a supervisor can't help, ask for their supervisor. I have twice had consumer complaints in the States that I wound up dealing with a vice president of Ford and the personal secretary of the CEO of Wells Fargo. By the time I reached that stage, they knew I was serious.

This will be a fun one to take to PROFECO and taking along a reporter could make it even more interesting.

#27 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

Charles,
What a blessing to have you offer to do this ! I JUST called VISA to verify that they are continuing to keep the $860 in dispute and explained all that you have suggested, such as not being able to send the merchandise back to the jewelry store etc. I am in the process of printing off all the email from all of you in Cozumel which I was told to send to VISA. Tomorrow I will have in hand an official appraisal from a jeweler ($115.00) stating what all the jewelry is comprised of, none of which is real, not even the gold. The jewelers asst. told me 2 days ago the gold metal was NOT gold, but silver.

Divadiver (karen) and kandy are coming to the states and have offered to bring the jewelry back to Cozumel and I believe to bring it and the PROFECO form (which has never been acknowledged to date) which I sent on Feb. 12th via email, all to PROFECO's office. Perhaps we could coordinate this by the ladies bringing back the jewelry, along with copies of the appraisal, sales receipt and the forms already sent, and then you going to PROFECO, since you are proficient in Spanish and seem willing to take this on. You sound like me when I was younger !

My husband is not sure our scanner is working, cause I think one can scan something, send it as an attachment etc., but he doesn't think our scanner is working. I could fax the paperwork to you, if you want to see the PROFECO form I filled out (Feb.12), the sales receipt and any other paperwork . I await your reply and once again I can not express my gratitude and thanks for your assistance to a total stranger.

Hoping to meet you someday, I remain....
Fran Yates

#28 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

Fran,

If you know someone with a scanner, have them scan all of the documents. Then they can be emailed to be as an attachment.

If that's not possible, I can give you a US fax number to send the docs to. The person who receive the fax can send it to me in email.

That me know which alternative works for you.

#29 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:41 AM

Diva Diver
How fast you are....I am in shock ! Tomorrow we get the appraisal, and will try at my neighbor's house to scan and email you the appraisal and the form I sent to PROFECO, as well as the papers from Caribbean Dream (sales receipt and letter of authenticity), so maybe I won't have to fax your stateside friend. Is your name Carey or am I not suppose to ask that...if so I apologize. I am a 63 year old retired RN living in Picayune, Mississippi who appreciates all of you and your friends help.
fran

#30 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

Fran, I'm not Carey, I'm Karen. I suppose I should put a signature on my posts. I look for your email, tomorrow. If I don't receive it in time to go to Profeco tomorrow, I'll go on Monday as I'm traveling Friday.

#31 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:53 PM

Karen,
This is Fran....we finally were able to scan the documents....but I don't have your email address to send it. I will ask my husband to try and send it thru this CMC, but am not sure of what I am doing. Kandy will be bringing the jewelry and the appraisal back with her. The appraisal is the only paper I can't send now, as we go to Slidell tomorrow and will pick it up.

Fran

#32 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:32 PM

Karen,
I just spoke to Kandy, who is going to bring the jewelry back to Cozumel in two weeks. We think we have the scanner working, so here goes....I hope the filled out form for PROFECO comes thru, along with all the other stuff. Tomorrow I will send the appraisal, once I get it, and that should complete the necessary paperwork.
Thanks,
Fran

Attached Files

• Attached File  Gem2.bmp   464.12KB   17 downloads

#33 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:52 PM

Charles,
I emailed the PROFECO form and a few other papers to Karen. Hopefully you know Karen(divadiver). Today I got the appraisal and the jewelry back and soon as the post office opens in the morning, I will be there sending the ring and pendant and all the papers to Kandy, who is coming back to Mexico in two weeks. If you don't know Divadiver, I will email the PROFECO form and appraisal to you immediately, IF that is what you want. Will you be on the island in two weeks when Kandy comes back? Hopefully some of this will be of help to you.

I await your instructions,
Fran

#34 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:54 PM

Karen,
I tried emailing the same forms to Charles, without success. Could you forward them on to him ?

I am sure it is operator error.

Thanks,
fran

#35 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:21 AM

Don't worry Fran, we'll all get together and make this work as well as we can. Karen's more fluent in Spanish than I am. I am good at asking questions and looking for creative solutions and I have been to PROFECO many times, but have never met the current lawyers. I am curious to speak to one in English as some thing regarding delicate subjects might best be discussed in the office in English.

The trick on this one will be to see if the business is still operating or the responsible person can be identified. Visa should cover you biggest expense and even if we can get no recovery for the cash portion you spent, it will bolster your claim with your credit card. It will serve as a warning to others and apply a little heat to PROFECO for the future.

I may need to make a trip sometime soon, but with the collective community, people will get done what we can. Situations like yours affects the whole community and the many honest vendors trying to make a living. If we aren't doing it in service to you personally, it is something that needs to be done for the community at large. Whatever benefit you may receive may prevent 100 others from suffering the same fate.

Don't worry, we can't promise miracles, but people have been quiet surprised by the positive results in the past. I am glad you persisted on your end. The last lady that succeeded was very determined and the money involved made little difference to her. She stuck to her end out of principles and if more people did that, a lot less might happen.

#36 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

Charles,
Thanks again...I can imagine this going on for sometime..My major problem is getting Chase Visa to continue the dispute and NOT pay the merchant...as once that is done...they will never recover the money. I just have to be patient and wait and see what happens.
fran

#37 Charles

Charles

Guru

• Members
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:33 PM

Push hard for Visa to not pay them and you can print off these pages from locals to bolster your argument. I did see that they are still in business, I was concerned they might have skipped down or were in the Lapis spot. They are under Vista del Mar on the left side when looking with your back to the ocean. I think I still have the old email from the lady I helped years ago. There are some crooks here, not many and it is in every one's best interest to put a stop to it. Too many honest merchants are struggling. I doubt the sales people knew what they were selling, but the bosses did. I didn't recognize any sales people that I knew. I didn't feel comfortably trying to ask for their phone number.

If you send Visa a copy of these messages and a copy of the appraisal and talk to supervisors, insist that they not pay the merchant. That should warm up the merchant and might make it more possible to recover some of your cash. If their account is still not credited, they should know that something is up. Telephone numbers are virtually impossible to obtain unless the merchant tells you. Telephone accounts if they are listed in a directory would be under the corporate name which most often has no relation to the name that they are doing business under. That is true of the honest stores

#38 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:51 PM

Luckily I was able to print your last comment today, as I had faxed all the forum talk concerning this problem, to Chase Visa today. Karen did go to PROFECO today so I await comments from her. All of this is just making me sick, not the money Charles, just the aggravation and the nerve of the merchants. Since the payment is in dispute, I assume the merchant has not been paid, therefore must know or suspect something is up. Chase also has copies of the appraisal, the sales slip etc, and all the rest so hopefully they will continue the dispute. I have no idea why PROFECO has not emailed me but thank goodness for the kindness and concern of people like you, Karen and Kandy.

Thanks so much for investigating the Caribbean Dreams store location. Probably the only way to obtain a phone number is to act like a customer, and tell them you might want to call them later regarding a future purchase. Once PROFECO gets involved I am sure they will obtain phone numbers etc.

If anything changes, I will let you know.
Fran

#39 divadiver

divadiver

Guru

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

Charles,

Thank you for finding the store and verifying they are still open.

I spoke with Lic. Ariadne Santin at Profeco and she couldn't take Fran's paperwork, since it was filed online. The online complaints first have to go thru Mexico City.

In the future, if someone has a complaint they can email Lic Santin directly which will shorten the resolution time.

I'm not a 100% sure that this is her current email. I'll have confirmation today, if she responds to my message. asantinprofeco@yahoo.com

#40 fran yates

fran yates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:19 PM

Diva diver,
This is fran. Is the problem in Chile going to make it necessary for you to go there ? About the lady in Cozumel, who did not want to take the papers etc,since I had send the form thru email and it must go thru Mexico City. Since this might be a long time in reaching her, do you think I should send the jewelry to Kandy, who could bring it back to Cozumel, and when they are ready to receive it, we won't have additional time holding things up ?

If I call you on your Mobil, will you incur charges ? I am not familiar with how all that works....it still amazes me that I can call you from the states with no charge involved. I know you said it is thru the Internet, but I guess it is all beyond my comprehension. What technology, huh ? When I call my friends in the Canaries, if I call his cell phone he incurs significant charges as do I.

Also has this woman in Cozumel, been able to confirm that Mexico City even received the forms I sent ? That is my chief concern since no acknowledgment has been confirmed by them to me. Seems like it would be easier to just start the whole thing over, as if no form had been sent and get the ball rolling. What do you think ? Since the form said to send accompanying forms , and I had none at the time, nor could I have figured out how to send them to PROFECO, they may just be sitting on my form sent more than 2-3 weeks ago.

What a mess, huh ?

Hope to hear from you soon.
Fran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users